• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

Absolutely. We spent years buying more than one million pound player every season. It got us 7th perennially.

One manager threw even more millions at it, and got lucky for 1 season.

One more astute manager did a serious amount of bargain hunting, and despite arriving with a threadbare squad, acheived some amazing results though 100k bargains (Jemal Johnson, Kightly) topped up with the odd extravagance (SEB). Am I right in thinking in the championship the most Mick spent on anyone was Berra at just over 2 mill? Most of his purchases were 6 figures. Some of the best were also his cheapest.

and some of his worst were the most expensive

What is the situation with Massimo Cellino at Leeds, has he loaded that club up with debt, and could he just walk away from the club and its debt whenever he likes. You just wouldn't want your club run by a mad gambler would you?

please tell me at any time where I have said that? I have said that Wolves are a good investment and that a philanthropic owner with vision and deep pockets is required to take us to where we want to be not bargain basement signings or loanees. I have also said our recruitment recently has been more poor than good. I am also answering those who piss on my chips by saying you cant make money in football. You bloody well can now

Surely this contradicts your argument on spending money to reach the Prem?

Quality costs more and recruiting 3 players for 15 million quid who had just been relegated was not good business.Doyle O Hara and Johnson. Fletcher turned a profit,Please read what I have said. Its about quality and depth something we dont have much of either of at the moment.

please tell me at any time where I have said that? I have said that Wolves are a good investment and that a philanthropic owner with vision and deep pockets is required to take us to where we want to be not bargain basement signings or loanees. I have also said our recruitment recently has been more poor than good. I am also answering those who piss on my chips by saying you cant make money in football. You bloody well can now

What happens if someone comes in, spends a load of money and Wolves don't get promoted? How do they make money in that scenario? How does spending that money circumnavigate the FFP rules? How do you attract Premier League players to the Championship - or do you spend money on Championship players who are ultimately not good enough for the Premier League (like Mick) and then have to reinvest the money from the new TV deal just to stand still.

Of course you can make money, but you can also lose and lose big. As has been asked previously, why should we expect an owner to take those sorts of risks?

What happens if someone comes in, spends a load of money and Wolves don't get promoted? How do they make money in that scenario? How does spending that money circumnavigate the FFP rules? How do you attract Premier League players to the Championship - or do you spend money on Championship players who are ultimately not good enough for the Premier League (like Mick) and then have to reinvest the money from the new TV deal just to stand still.

Of course you can make money, but you can also lose and lose big. As has been asked previously, why should we expect an owner to take those sorts of risks?

Because others have and are reaping the rewards and now is the right time. I have said promotion isnt guaranteed. But we are guaranteed not to go up with the current strategy mate. I want us in the premier league , capable of staying there and signing quality and depth. That requires an owner with a different strategy to the current one. As for fair play rules thats a pile of pish. Clubs have already got around those in a number of cases- Chelsea, city etc.
I want my club to be capable of playing at the highest level that the fan base can support and thats not mid table championship. To get higher needs money and a change but its not the risk that many of you think nowadays.

I would love it if a billionaire owner with common sense came in and bought real quality players and management to the club.If that means we get accused of buying promotion hell bring it on! Blackburn fans didnt care when Walker did that to get them the title. Anyone who would not want this needs their lumps feeling.

Hartlepool's Brad Walker rumoured to be joining us in January!!!!

FFP doesn't really exist in the top flight. Unless you are in Europe. It does still apply in the Championship, although in a more relaxed form.

You aren't going to make a fucking mint owning Wolves even if we go up. It just isn't going to happen.

Say I am Sheikh whatever and buy the club using your idea, and I immediately spaff twice what Derby have this season on the team. £40m spend to get up and get in the riches. How do I then get my initial money back out and make a profit while expecting the team to be competitive? Yes, I have the golden egg, but so do 19 other chairmen. If I pull my little investment out, then my team are uncompetitive to the value of that investment withdrawn.

Hartlepool's Brad Walker rumoured to be joining us in January!!!!

Another fucking midfielder!
Reminds me of the last few months of Mick. Heck, even KJ commented on the numerous amount of players we had in the squad at that time.

We need central midfielders like a hole in the head. Unless we go for the new 1-9-1 formation.

FFP doesn't really exist in the top flight. Unless you are in Europe. It does still apply in the Championship, although in a more relaxed form.

You aren't going to make a $#@!ing mint owning Wolves even if we go up. It just isn't going to happen.

Say I am Sheikh whatever and buy the club using your idea, and I immediately spaff twice what Derby have this season on the team. £40m spend to get up and get in the riches. How do I then get my initial money back out and make a profit while expecting the team to be competitive? Yes, I have the golden egg, but so do 19 other chairmen. If I pull my little investment out, then my team are uncompetitive to the value of that investment withdrawn.

See southampton who are repaying 15 million of loans to the owner this year and still returning a profit half way up the premier league. Its possible

After 3 years of Premier League money, and knowing they are getting the bigger pay cheque next season.

It just isn't realistic in our situation at all. The moment you try and take any money out the fans will go fucking postal demanding it be invested in the playing staff.

Southampton have had a massive boost to their income through player sales though.

They're in profit because of money from Liverpool and United rather than BT.

He's only 19, I'm assuming he wont be a first team signing?

Coady 22, Price 23, McD 26, Saville 22, Evans 21 then there's Weekes as well. Not much space there and we always seem to be planning for the future.

The plan seems to be buy cheap young players in the hope they come through. Might work if Wilson, Bright, Iorfa, Hause, Ronan, Wallace and Afobe all stick around but the chances of that are smaller than me banging Scarlett Johansson.

Our old pal Michal Zyro didn't make the bench for Legia today.

After 3 years of Premier League money, and knowing they are getting the bigger pay cheque next season.

It just isn't realistic in our situation at all. The moment you try and take any money out the fans will go $#@!ing postal demanding it be invested in the playing staff.

exactly. The owners bankrolled the club to get the players to maintain and strengthen. FFs I reckon you lot just try to wind me up

Back