• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

Or he could try some of the ones we have wide and number ten - graham, Wallace and Byrne for example.

Just a crazy idea. (And that's a dig at kj, not you lot!)

Or he could try some of the ones we have wide and number ten - graham, Wallace and Byrne for example.

Just a crazy idea. (And that's a dig at kj, not you lot!)

Well yeah but that doesn't look like it's going to happen especially with Wallace. I don't trust whoever has a say in transfers anyway but we can all wish.

Watched Middlesboro beat Ipswich last night. How many Wolves players would get in the Middlesbro side? One I think - Dominic Iorfa. And Afobe before we started to ruin him. We're now simply miles away from where we need to be

Don't think we can get in any better than Graham, Henry and Byrne for the wide positions, just need to pick the best 2 from three according to form, still think centre midfield is our biggest issue and now Williamson has gone back , a leader.

Sadly, that's how it starting to appear. At the Fans Parliament it was basically confirmed that we'd entertain the notion of a decent bid, Afobe himself has apparently appeared disinterested on the pitch this season, and then we had the lineup yesterday (even though he deserved to be dropped from a form point of view).

Don't agree with any of that.

Nor do I

Afobe might not be on fire as he was last season, but the number of goals he has so far will still put him on target for 20 for the season (if he keeps the average up) & that's a decent though not spectacular return. Can't see why we would accept anything other than a stupid level offer in Jan & don't see anyone being likely to do that.

Think it was a 3 yr contract we signed him to (no doubt DW is able to confirm) so ample time to cash in if he doesn't want to stay beyond that.

Afobe was excellent when he came on yesterday.

You might end up being right or wrong on him leaving in January - I don't think he will for a variety of reasons, but none of us are to know for sure at this stage. It's definitely bang wrong IMO to say he's looked "disinterested" or that he deserved to be left out of the team yesterday.

Transfer window disappointment looms. I can see Afobe going given Norwich dropping too close to the premier shit and they remain keen. Also given SM insistence on book balancing and his intention to leave means the only way we will get any money is to sell Afobe . He has not looked anywhere near as good this year. It is harsh to call him disinterested and it is fair to say he has not be used properly or given great service but his head was turned in the summer IMO and he has rarely looked as good or as consistent since.
We need a centre half leader, I said it at the end of last season and it still holds true. We found it in Williamson. Sign him quick ( Newcastle winning yesterday helps us IMO).
Bin Holt please. What was the point?
Afobe replacement? well this time get a real number 10 in. (We wont though )
I would sign Le Fondre.
Martinez temps me too. If we cant get Williamson leadership and Nouse is required to guide a young squad through the rest of this season to keep us up.
If we are looking for a few lower league Bargains try shopping at Peterborough for forwards. They are scoring for fun at the moment and are in danger of giving the dreaded Westley an improved reputation. Souleymane Coulibaly, Lee Angol and Conor Washington have over 20 goals between them. Coulibaly is nippy, Washington a poacher and Angel tall and mobile ( plan B?). All are young and hungry and getting good reviews. Might not cost too much either. Maybe worth a look for the future, given this season is a write off promotion wise pretty much barring a miracle.

But do we keep Ken? I think me will if we keep picking up the odd win and a few draws. Cant see SM paying him up and hiring another .

Norwich being close to the drop zone is exactly why Afobe won't go there. Relegation from the Prem looks like it's between Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland, Newcastle, Villa and Bournemouth. Unless the table changes over the next month or so I don't see him going to any of them and risk coming down 6 months later. He'll only leave in my view if he gets an offer from an alternative Prem club.

I would target Emyr Huws currently on loan at Huddesfield and should be available for a bargain basement fee from his parent club Wigan. He would give us a different option when playing into the striker.

To be honest, I think we have the players to be successful this season, but we're not using them well enough. The only position I'd really like to bolster is centre back, Williamson showed how much of an impact a quality experienced player can have in there.

Norwich being close to the drop zone is exactly why Afobe won't go there. Relegation from the Prem looks like it's between Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland, Newcastle, Villa and Bournemouth. Unless the table changes over the next month or so I don't see him going to any of them and risk coming down 6 months later. He'll only leave in my view if he gets an offer from an alternative Prem club.
Aren't likely to be many safe/established clubs gambling on a forward who's completely unproven at that level. If he wants to play at the top then he's more than likely going to have to take a bit of a chance on someone who could drop.

Better to do that at the start of a season though rather than parachuting oneself into a team that has one win in 10 or whatever and has their confidence on the floor.

I don't think he'll go in this window, I'd be very surprised if he's still a Wolves player in September 2016.

Aren't likely to be many safe/established clubs gambling on a forward who's completely unproven at that level. If he wants to play at the top then he's more than likely going to have to take a bit of a chance on someone who could drop.

If I were the Swansea manager (who isn't going to be Garry Monk by the looks of things) that's exactly who I'd buy. Would fit their system perfectly.

Back