• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What can Fosun do now?

Football changed after Covid. You can't draw a line in the sand, where you want tovstart from, but we are talking from the beginning of the Fosun ownership.
FFP changed how and who we buy players from too. It is a different scenario now.
Well we spent £35m on an 18 year old after Covid so that's not true. I could give other example in the last 18 months too.

From memory we've signed one value for money Mendes player since Covid and that was Sa. Some will say Semedo, but I don't think he's ever been a £30m player. Your analysis would be accurate before that but not any more though. We now use him to broker deals for which he earns handsomely off and clears up some of his mess - Nunes, or helps us Neves. Saying we still sign good players from him is a fallacy.

We have obviously changed how we buy players and are not limited to Mendes players in the last few years, but that is mainly due to FFP, the Sand League and probably falling out a little with Mendes on signing too many over priced failures.
I am not saying the Mendes Web was a good or bad thing. I am saying that we were undeniably in it and it served it's purpose at the time.

I don't sympathise with the club, but from the beginning, the idea of Fosun was to make us in to an established Premier League club and they have done that. To miss that out of any analysis, means you are choosing things that upset you, but failing to mention that they are achieving their objectives.
Like a lot of our approach, that's fine until it isn't.

The effect of relegation would be huge on us as a club and we aren't many steps away from that happening. We got away with the Lage debacle big time, you won't keep getting away with stuff.

Yes, but we had Raul, Jota and Neves for example, which would never have come to Wolves without the Mendes connection. Nunes went for a very tidy profit too. That is how the Mendes web works and always has done.
You have to look at the bigger picture with Mendes.

Personally I think it’s time for a change, from 2017-2020 things were fantastic. Since then a catalogue of very bad decisions have put us in the just happy to be category in the PL.
It’s old ground but things like sacking Nuno and replacing him with Lage and giving another go the following season is the biggest one set us back some years.
Signings like Fabio and Guedes.
Price of tickets way beyond the rate of inflation, shocking communication with fans, concentration on things not important like esports etc, trying to make out that being frugal is all part of the master plan.
Reality is you don’t persist on the basis things were good for 3 years 4 years ago.
I don’t think they’re moving on soon so Jeff needs to be replaced and the board need to go back to what’s most important and thats focusing on the first and it’s status.
If the first team performs all the other stuff can take care of itself.
Fans ultimate care is 1: results 2: prices, after that it’s all a bit of a background stuff.

Like a lot of our approach, that's fine until it isn't.

The effect of relegation would be huge on us as a club and we aren't many steps away from that happening. We got away with the Lage debacle big time, you won't keep getting away with stuff.

Yes I agree, but when we were in serious trouble, Fosun spent 70 million and employed Lopetegui, to get us out of the whole. They were there when they needed to be. We paid the price last summer and changed our format of signings.
Don't get me wrong, they have made monumental fuck ups and made common sense mistakes, but they are adaptable and pull the stops out when they are needed.
It might sound like I am defending Fosun, but I am just pointing out that they are achieving their objectives of making us in to a stable mid table Premier League Club. Something that we all could have only of dreamt about 10 years ago.
I am not a great fan of Mendes, but to deny we owe our rise out of lower league obscurity , to a mid table Premier League Club to Fosun and Mendes, who can mix it with the best, would not be rational in my point of you.
We can all agree, that sometimes how Fosun run the club is hard to understand, but to not give them credit for where Wolves are today, would be ridiculous, in my point of view.

Yes I agree, but when we were in serious trouble, Fosun spent 70 million and employed Lopetegui, to get us out of the whole. They were there when they needed to be. We paid the price last summer and changed our format of signings.
Don't get me wrong, they have made monumental fuck ups and made common sense mistakes, but they are adaptable and pull the stops out when they are needed.
It might sound like I am defending Fosun, but I am just pointing out that they are achieving their objectives of making us in to a stable mid table Premier League Club. Something that we all could have only of dreamt about 10 years ago.
I am not a great fan of Mendes, but to deny we owe our rise out of lower league obscurity , to a mid table Premier League Club to Fosun and Mendes, who can mix it with the best, would not be rational in my point of you.
We can all agree, that sometimes how Fosun run the club is hard to understand, but to not give them credit for where Wolves are today, would be ridiculous, in my point of view.

You can look at broadly as saying we’re in a better position since they took over. That’s undeniable.
However you can look at that since Covid things are a lot worst.
13th, 10th, 13th 14th place finishes since Covid. The level of quality in the squad is vastly reduced.
They were forced to spend so much after appointing lop due to there own bonkers recruitment policy and persisting with a mood hoover of manager for way to long.

To get us out of a hole completely of their own making, at great expense and employing a downright lie they won’t be able use again. It’s bonkers and not something you can repeat or call a sustainable strategy. They do have us up for sale you know, so it’s hardly surprising folk hope that process is more of a core competency.

Signings like Fabio and Guedes.
The reality of that is that Fosun / Shi were prepared to fund those signings in the belief they would improve our team. Maybe they had more of a long term view on Fabio?

However, they did fork out the money because we needed to improve in the goal scoring stakes and now they are being hung out to dry because those players didn't work out.

So... let's pretend they didn't sign them. They'd then be knocked for missing out or not being prepared to invest in the team.

There's no questions mistakes were made, hence the change in direction of how we now do things. Personally, I think that's good management when you recognise mistakes and change things. Rather like a ship constantly has to change course to reach it's destination.

To get us out of a hole completely of their own making, at great expense and employing a downright lie they won’t be able use again. It’s bonkers and not something you can repeat or call a sustainable strategy. They do have us up for sale you know, so it’s hardly surprising folk hope that process is more of a core competency.

The aren't planning to sell the club, or to lose control of decisions. They are after investment.
I don't think this should be a debate with entrenched ideas. Their have been fucks ups, but this is our longest stint in the Premier League in 45 years.

Last edited:
The “bigger picture” argument went out the window with the STH prices.

Doesn’t matter what the big picture is if no one can afford to go see it.

You can look at broadly as saying we’re in a better position since they took over. That’s undeniable.
However you can look at that since Covid things are a lot worst.
13th, 10th, 13th 14th place finishes since Covid. The level of quality in the squad is vastly reduced.
They were forced to spend so much after appointing lop due to there own bonkers recruitment policy and persisting with a mood hoover of manager for way to long.
As I said, football fans can never be satisfied.
When we went down in successive relegation's, surviving in the Prem. was just a dream.
OK, we would all probably agree the quality in the squad isn't as deep or as good but it has been good enough.

The “bigger picture” argument went out the window with the STH prices.

Doesn’t matter what the big picture is if no one can afford to go see it.
Given today's announcement, that's clearly bollocks.

The aren't planning to sell the club, or to lose control of decisions. They are after investment.
I don't this should be a debate with entrenched ideas. Their have been fucks ups, but this is our longest stint in the Premier League in 45 years.
It’s astonishingly nieve to think this process isn’t underway. Also, if you wanted to engage in a debate then why don’t you address the point raised about the hole they’ve got us into and the likelihood of a repeat.

As I said, football fans can never be satisfied.
When we went down in successive relegation's, surviving in the Prem. was just a dream.
OK, we would all probably agree the quality in the squad isn't as deep or as good but it has been good enough.
It’s incredibly patronising to fall back on the theory that all football fans behave like spoilt children. Try to engage with the healthy critique perhaps?

The reality of that is that Fosun / Shi were prepared to fund those signings in the belief they would improve our team. Maybe they had more of a long term view on Fabio?

However, they did fork out the money because we needed to improve in the goal scoring stakes and now they are being ung out to dry because those players didn't work out.

So... let's pretend they didn't sign them. They'd then be knocked for missing out or not being prepared to invest in the team.

There's no questions mistakes were made, hence the change in direction of how we now do things. Personally, I think that's good management when you recognise mistakes and change things. Rather like a ship constantly has to change course to reach it's destination.

Who did they have in place advising them on these signings. Just chucking money at players is only a fraction of the process who properly scouted Guedes and Fabio? What due diligence was done on their suitability?
It’s like saying Moshiri at Everton at that bad because he was prepared to splash the cash.
Problem is not having the right people in place making football decisions.

It’s astonishingly nieve to think this process isn’t underway. Also, if you wanted to engage in a debate then why don’t you address the point raised about the hole they’ve got us into and the likelihood of a repeat.
Eh?
We have agreed they made a mistake. We have not agreed that they have also rectified that mistake by investing in Lope and the team. That took care of itself. The bigger point here is that a lot of people are pissed off by the price increase and just want to have a fucking moan at everything they possibly can without any balance to their argument.

Absolute tosh.
The argument was made that people couldn't afford to go to watch a game. Wolves annonce that season tickets have sold out. The tosh is that people can't afford to go when they clearly can. It's absolute tosh to deny otherwise.

Back