• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Trump

DS37OAZ.png

An absolute tool of the highest order. You wonder where all of this is going to end. Nothing like Tomahawk diplomacy.

Given the enormous difficulty in determining, due to inability to get any independent party in there to verify, whether this was Assad who launched the gas attack or whether it came from stocks held by ISIS this is a very high risk action.

Not condoning its use in any way - its illegal under UN rules (& common humanity) whoever does it, but this action is probably typical of the way Trump (& some of his newer advisers) will act & does not bode well for other potential flash point areas (N Korea anyone?)

His election manager, Putin, is not happy at all.

It is very similar to Reagan bombing Libya and closer to home our own retaliation in the Falklands which, while absolutely right in my view, was a blueprint for winning the 1983 election (we won a conflict easily when Foot was very heavily involved with CND and unilateral disarmament).

Trouble is that Trump will probably think that having a go at North Korea next would be ace and China won't put up with that shit.

The only people who have the capability to deliver air-borne missiles are Syrian forces or Russia forces.

There is no precedent for Russia using gas in Syria, whereas Assad has previous for it and was warned by Obama, who eventually took no action.

Assad needs to learn that the world will not tolerate such despicable actions against innocent people.

Perhaps his 'election manager' should have a word in his shell-like.

Probably believes that this is just like a computer war game - he can always reset it if it goes wrong.

When I heard him on the radio this morning he sounded like someone who had only just learnt to read - very slow, deliberate delivery as if he was struggling to work out what the words were

Given the enormous difficulty in determining, due to inability to get any independent party in there to verify, whether this was Assad who launched the gas attack or whether it came from stocks held by ISIS this is a very high risk action.

Not condoning its use in any way - its illegal under UN rules (& common humanity) whoever does it, but this action is probably typical of the way Trump (& some of his newer advisers) will act & does not bode well for other potential flash point areas (N Korea anyone?)

It's frustrating that the United Nations is incapable of doing anything to promote peace in the region let alone prevent idiots like Trump or Putin firing cruise missiles. As unlikely as it may seem both the yanks AND the Russians should not be flexing their muscles anywhere near the area. There should be no alliances.

The United Nations is basically useless unless the USA, Russia, and China all agree on a specific course of action, because of the UN Security Council veto power. (The other two permanent members, the UK and France nearly always vote with the USA on the Council.)

China really doesn't have any political or strategical interest in Syria. The UN can't stop the Syrian civil war, but the USA and Russia could, either on their own or within the framework of the UN, if they came to an agreement.

Well at least now we can stop talking about Trump being in bed with Putin as it's CLEARLY not the case........

I suspect part of trumps motivation is that.

President Obama warned Syria that the red Lin must not be crossed otherwise action would be take. That red line included the use of chemical weapons. Syria ignored Obama and he did nothing when the red line was crossed. This was at a time when there was an effective opposition in Syria, and very little Russian involvement in the country. President Trump has only done what his predecessor should have done.

Didn't Obama ask Congress (?) to vote on attacking Syria and it was voted against by the Republicans? A bit like when Cameron asked Parliament and they said no.

I am torn on the move.....the big fear is the attack on Assad takes the attention away from the fight with ISIS and they start to regain ground as Russia direct their attention elsewhere.

Didn't Obama ask Congress (?) to vote on attacking Syria and it was voted against by the Republicans? A bit like when Cameron asked Parliament and they said no.

I am torn on the move.....the big fear is the attack on Assad takes the attention away from the fight with ISIS and they start to regain ground as Russia direct their attention elsewhere.

I read this earlier today. It was written by Professor Jack Goldsmith, from the Harvard Law School, which I found to be slightly contradictory:

'Article II of the Constitution says that the president is the commander in chief of the armed forces — which means he’s responsible for directing them into battle. But Article I of the Constitution gives Congress, and Congress alone, the authority to declare war — and to appropriate funds to the Defense Department to wage it.'

Like you, I am uneasy about where this might lead, but the Syrian Government were using chemical weapons on their own people, and something had to be done.

There is no doubt people died because of chemical weapons last week in Syria. Now whether it was deliberate by Assad's regime or the detonation of a stockpile it is moot. They should not have had them full stop. Trump has acted. Syria know and Russia know he is not afraid to now

Back