• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Why do you live where you do / Why do you support Wolves?

Born in Birmingham in 1961 and lived most of my childhood/teenage/early 20s years in Codsall, with many a visit to Molineux in the late 60s/70s/early 80s.

First game . . . way way way back on August 26th, 1967 at Molineux where Wolves entertained Leeds United, and Dad took me along as a special treat.

I always remember that I was utterly gobsmacked at the noise and size of the crowd (around 35K) packed into the stadium.

I was only 6 and i still have numerous memories of the game where The Doog scored twice as Wolves won 2-0. I was hooked as a Wolves fan and with Derek Dougan being my favourite player for all-time.

I emigrated to The Land of the Long White Cloud way back in 1982.

I totally missed the Bully years - I never saw a Wolves games (including highlights) from mid-82 to early-98.

In my will I have stipulated I'm to be buried in my 1971 Wolves shirt !

I'll add my bit here due to the Kilman/Maidenhead chat in the other thread. Mum's side of the family are from Maidenhead so vaguely been a kind of second team for me down the years. They've done incredibly well to stay in the NL for I think 7 years now, definitely competing above their natural level. I always thought National South was verging on being a stretch for them. I actually saw Max play for them (retrospectively checked of course). Happy for both clubs to profit!

Dad's side of the family is from Bushbury, he moved to Portsmouth for uni at 18 in 1973 and never returned. We used to coincide family visits to make 3/4 home games a season but this lessened once my grandparents died. We'd always done the southern away games but post-promotion this became impossible of course though did sit in the home end at Fulham and Brentford last season.

Got 2 little lads myself now and wonder if they'll turn towards Pompey but they've got our kits (not full price of course 😀), they know Wolves is their team and I won't be in a hurry to take them to that dump down the road anytime soon so fingers crossed.

Hardly ever post but I'm on here a lot and, along with my dad, this is my main link to the club.

Was born in Worcester and raised there until the age of seven. Moved to Sweden and thought I should support Leeds because they had the same colours as the Swedish flag…. Came back aged around nine and my older brother (who I idolised) was Wolves and we went to a game in the late seventies which we won 3-1…. Was either Blackburn or Burnley away, can’t properly remember / but I was hooked….

I have followed Wolves from afar since…. I left school in England, joined the army (Germany and some hotspots for a decade or so…) and on leaving the army have found jobs abroad ever since…. Long journey, lots of adventures… too much to bore you with here.

Currently in Rio and about to marry my future widow. Loving that Wolves and England are on the up! And Vasco, my local team here…..

Hope to get back to the Mol some day soon, been a while but some of my happiest football memories are around Steve Bull’s heyday! Love that guy!!!

When I am back for a match would be great to grab a beer with some of you fine folk…

Grew up in Wednesfield, father passed away when I was 3 and with 2 older sisters and a younger brother I had no experience/or anyone to introduce me to football untill eldest sisters then partner dragged me to the Aldershot play offs. Child bloody cruelty.

Despite the defeat the seeds were sown and the next match I attended was the Sherpa van final, glory hunter ain't I?

Following season was old enough to get a paper round toafford to attend home games with mates and first league away match at Aldershot, on the same day as Hillsborough. Went to every home match for years then and several aways on the coach from willenhall. Some great days.

Born in Hampshire. Dad's Irish by birth but grew up in East London. Wolves were the best team when he was a kid, so he was a glory supporter, that massively backfired.

He raised his two sons as Wolves fans. Easier for my older brother born in '64, Wolves were a top flight club still winning trophies in his youth...

Me though, I was born at the beginning of the 79/80 season, so don't remember the League Cup Victory in '80 or the subsequent decline.

My first game was Aldershot away, day of the Hillsborough disaster. We seemed to win every week back then (Div 4 & 3), Bully was my hero. Dad took me to all the away games in London and the South when I was a kid, but never Molineux...

I was 16 and on work experience from college when I met a Wolves fan who went every week (RIP), he introduced me to a small group of much older men who made travel to Wolverhampton accessible (£10 petrol back then)...

With my first weekly wage pack in full time employment, I bought a season ticket aged 19. Other than a couple of years (Uni & living abroad) I've had it ever since.

Ups and downs, downs and ups. Wanderers 'til I die.

Surrey born and bred. My nan lived in Milton Keynes or thereabouts and bought me an Easter egg in a Wolves mug when I was 4 years old, so 1973... And the rest is history. First game was also at Aldershot, August 1986, 2-1 win for us. I didn't get up to Molineux until sometime in the late '90s and have probably only been 5 or 6 times since. I've mainly done away games down south but also up in the North East when I was at Teesside Poly as it was then.

It's been a pretty thankless supporting life, with siblings supporting Man U and Chelsea - and obviously the local Surrey population doing similar.

That explains it then...

I thought it did? I’ve posted the explanation previously but:

My South American coworker got me into soccer starting with the USMNT building to the 2010 World Cup. Really enjoyed the tourney, FIFA WC 2010 on ps3, watching old clips, etc., just kinda got obsessed over night. Decided I wanted to watch more and needed a league/team. Premier league made sense, but being a glory hound seemed lame so most top teams were out. Looked into the remaining teams, watched a bunch of games, and I just ended up being charmed by the wolves. I liked Jarvis, Mick, the feel of the team, colors, logo, etc and I’ve been dealing with the stress ever since.

Not a very exciting story but there you go. 🤷‍♂️

Edit — just noticed my registration date, so it appears to have taken what… 15 (match) weeks in to have been won over?

Last edited:
Back