• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Why do you live where you do / Why do you support Wolves?

Was born in brum 1952, right on 5 ways when it was a set of traffic lights, and my first game was away at the baggies march 58.
My dad and big brother were die hard baggies fans, and decided to take me, but as soon as ths teams came out i loved the old gold strip and told them both in no uncertain terms, that i was supporting the old gold. I always was a single minded fucker even aged 5 🤣.
Wolves won, (3-0) if my shit memory serves me well, and i was hooked forever.
Have since lived in a few places in brum, ladywood, harborne, selly park, worked in the ad game in Manchester and london, and have since lived in portugsl, france, usa, and of course over 30 years here in greece.
Followed the wolves religiously until i got married, circa 1975, and then whenever i was able to get a ticket, or sneak into the north bank.
It was hairy in there in the hooligan days, and i once got on train in wolvo to brum, only to find , as soon as it pulled out, that it was the QPR football special to euston.
Me and my mate len got battered and locked ourselves in the khazi ungil we handed ourselves into the copperd at euston, who simply chucked us on the first train to new st and told us to fuck off.
Two busted ribs and blood and snot everywhere, but it never put me off.
Have followed them ever since from near or far, and thank heavens for the internet.
Must admit I would love to see one more game at the mol, before i peg out.
When i was the poison dwarf T beacon radio i got to play a few celebrity games and testimonials, played with jasper carrott, planty, and ex liverpool tommy smith, who flattened me after i nutmegged him, it was about ten minutes after the nutmeg and be fsir, be said he would.
Sammy Chung trained me for a week before a bonfire night superstars at Alderslsy stadium, teally nice bloke, and andy grey, and emlyn hughes became regular drinking pals through beacon.
Funniest man at wolves, got to be Barney, john barnwell, came out and worked on the golf course with us in tenerife, a delightful nutter.

Last edited:
My years 5 to 10 we lived in 89 Waterloo Road and I remember watching the floodlights being erected much to my fascination. Dad was a supporter and one or two uncles. Started going to occasional games from about 7 or 8 and used to go in for the last few minutes of games when they opened the doors. Was ST for almost 30 years with my Dad but he became gravelly ill just before the game where we were confirmed as promoted to the prem. I sat in that game with an empty seat alongside of me and while everyone else were jubilant I was in pieces. The next game the same when we were confirmed champions. Found it really difficult to go to games for a long time since but still watch them whenever I can. Of course he has a brick in the wall

Born in Stourbridge, mom's family from Wolverhampton and dad's family originally from Walsall. Not long after I was born my parents moved to Bridgnorth where I grew up. Moved to Liverpool for university and still live there.

I'm light on the full details as he has passed away, but my grandad I think just started taking my dad when he was a kid as Wolves were local. My dad was a season ticket holder for about 20 years, took me to my first game in 2006 when I was eight. Didn't go to my second game until 2009 and it was at that point I got hooked on supporting Wolves.

Born in Wolves to a Family of Wolves Fans both sides, went to my first game late 60's.

Went throughout the 70's with my dad when his work allowed.

Started going on my own in 1980, worked for the club for free during the dark days just to help, eventually got given free tickets as payments.

Went with my best Pal Taffy, well known around Wolvo, especially at the games, moved back to Abadare recently to care for his elderly Mother. We went everywhere all through the lower leagues, we were one of 20 at West Ham when we were bottom of the old first division.

Saw us live in 3 FA Cup semi finals, at Wembley in 3 Cup finals, at Molinuex in a European final.

Worked in Wednesfield Tube (TI), until it closed down in around 1994, when I moved to Gloucester, came back every Saturday with my son.
After my Divorce moved to Glasgow around 2003, still travelled down for the first 18 months.

Left Glasgow in 2018, for Fuengirola where I still live, Currently having chats with friends about setting up Fuengirola Wolves Supporters club.

Wolves have been the a massive part of my life for 56 of my 60 years on this rock. Never miss a game now ever. I employ a Barman, or get my wife to work just so I can sit with my Wolves Supporting mates who live locally, and any wolves supporting tourists that find out Busters is a Wolves Bar.

According to my Parents I think more of Wolves than anything else in my life (it's not true)
Wolves reserves were playing when my Son was born, we could see the floodlights from the delivery suite, I held him up with tears in my eyes and showed him the flood lights, started a lifelong relationship with him and Wolves he is still a season ticket holder, even converting his Villa Supporting Step Dad to the old Gold.

My years 5 to 10 we lived in 89 Waterloo Road and I remember watching the floodlights being erected much to my fascination. Dad was a supporter and one or two uncles. Started going to occasional games from about 7 or 8 and used to go in for the last few minutes of games when they opened the doors. Was ST for almost 30 years with my Dad but he became gravelly ill just before the game where we were confirmed as promoted to the prem. I sat in that game with an empty seat alongside of me and while everyone else were jubilant I was in pieces. The next game the same when we were confirmed champions. Found it really difficult to go to games for a long time since but still watch them whenever I can. Of course he has a brick in the wall
Good read. With you. Just out of interest did you know the Loftus family just down the road on your side but past the pub?

Born and raised in Penn, Dad from Blakenhall and Mum from Bradley, Bilston. Dad started taking me to matches when I was 7 or 8. Moved to Cambridgeshire over 40 years ago for Dad’s work but we have regularly been back for matches ever since.

Thought I would join in and try to contribute as that's been a really good read.
Grew up in Wood End, Wednesfield and went to my first match at Easter 1967 versus Huddersfield; it was actually a double header as we played them up North the very day before! We were headed back to the First Division at that time and to the delight of a young and raucous North Bank. I never looked back.
In the early to mid seventies a whole load of us teenagers used to walk to the Molineux and sometimes back as we had too much energy to sit on the 68 bus. We actually reckoned we could do the Park Village to the Molineux section quicker than the bus because of the traffic jams as they were so bad. I suppose it was also in the blood and a tradition to walk as my grandfather used to walk from Darlaston and Short Heath to the match along the cut and stop off at various watering holes along the way in the 1930s.
I played a fair bit of local club cricket and football in the Wolverhampton area in the 80s but also managed to get to a load of shall we say interesting away days where it was tempting sometimes to stay in the pub in places like Rochdale, Exeter, Halifax and Darlington rather than go to the actual match.
In 1982, I hitchhiked with my sadly now departed brother to Bilbao and the World Cup with a homemade bedsheet Cross of St George WWFC flag which was one of the first flags of that ilk. We were actually asked by loads of England fans what our flag was as it was still generally speaking the era of the Union Jack.
I then left the country to work in international schools in 1990 but I have always gone to the match when I am back in Wednesfield. My career has taken me to work in loads of amazing places including Cologne, Bogota. London, Kuwait, Guangzhou, Luxembourg, Berlin, The Hague and Libreville in Gabon. It's been an education and I have watched and played football in all these places including being a season ticket holder with Hertha Berlin and Ajax Amsterdam. All the time and everywhere I have been everyone has known me as... a Wolves fan. KTF UTW.

I didn't start supporting Wolves until I was 8. Born in Chester, moved down to East Anglia for my Dad's work. Went to a game at Portman Road (Ipswich 2 Swindon 1) and quite a few Rotherham Utd games at Milmoor as my Dad supports Rotherham (he was born there and my family still live that way). I wasn't massively keen on any of these.

We moved up to Stourbridge in the late 80s, and as soon as I started in my new school, I met a guy who is still my best mate today. Huge Wolves fan, he took me to a game with his family and that was it - a fan for life.

Had a ST from around 1994 until I moved to Manchester for uni. Stayed up there until 2005 when I moved back to the Midlands when I met my (now ex) wife.

Now settled in Stourbridge again with my 2nd wife, 2 kids and a step daughter. My son (who some of you will remember) is now 15 and is the next generation of Wolves from our family.

Barely ever go to games anymore sadly as I was priced out years ago

Grandad>Dad>Me

Bit of a suitcase kid - Dudley>Kates Hill>Silsden>Lye x2>Brierley Hill x2>Audnam>Brierley Hill x2

Majority of time as a teen dossing about in Brierley Hill and Brockmoor

Know a lot of Wolves and Albion fans, 2 Villa I think and I'd never met a Birmingham fan til not long ago, poor bugger

/life story

Fuck knows why I'm a Wolves fan, just know I always have been.
Born 100 miles away, no links to the area. My Dad wasn't into football, no team on my doorstep, Spurs was 15 miles away.
Growing up in the 80s when we were shit, surrounded by plastic Scousers...
If Stevenage had got their shit together earlier/I was born later, I'd probably have supported them.

Back