• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Transfer Speculation Thread 2014/15

Edwards being a midfielder though is aware of his defensive responsibilities so whether that be closing down and pressing high or dropping in to make it a 3 he does it quite well. I don't think Afobe could do that from what i've seen and i wouldn't expect him to and i see him as our second choice striker now.

I'm not doubting that and I agree to a certain extent that we should be sticking with our current shape (though I'd be tempted to play Evans in there). For now, Edwards is rightly in the team but at some point we have to move on from him in that position as there are doubts around him at this level let alone the division above.

We're one or two players away from being a very good side. Look at the influence Jelle Vossen has had at boro.

I'm not sure we'd need an Edwards type with Benik and Nouha stretching defenses. They'd have to play very deep to cope with both of them.

I'm not sure we'd need an Edwards type with Benik and Nouha stretching defenses. They'd have to play very deep to cope with both of them.

In the system we play better defences would press the central pair and double up on the wide men so we'd end up going long from deep and neither Dicko or Afobe are typical target men. Our two midfield men aren't good enough to play as a pair in 4-4-2.

In the system we play better defences would press the central pair and double up on the wide men so we'd end up going long from deep and neither Dicko or Afobe are typical target men. Our two midfield men aren't good enough to play as a pair in 4-4-2.

Absolutely

hqdefault.jpg

I'm not doubting that and I agree to a certain extent that we should be sticking with our current shape (though I'd be tempted to play Evans in there). For now, Edwards is rightly in the team but at some point we have to move on from him in that position as there are doubts around him at this level let alone the division above.

I agree we do need to move on from him at some point but there is no one at the club right now that can fill his position and do his vital work off the ball. We have to find someone who can press defences and fill in off the ball but hopefully more comfortable at linking play than Edwards is. It won't be easy to find someone though unless KJ can find a different way around it.

Honestly, I think we could play Evans, McDonald and Price as a three. Evans maybe could be the more box to box option. He loves to be involved in everything, he can pass the ball very well, and he has good defensive qualities.

When we played McDonald, Evans, Saville against Charlton and Reading they actually linked well together but the striker on both occasions was Clarke. Against Charlton particularly we absolutely dominated the opposition but all we missed was a decent centre forward. Saville hit the inside of the post and Evans had a good effort saved in that game. Against Reading Evans scored and Saville missed an absolute sitter.

I think to progress as a team we need to move to a 4-3-3 rather than 4-2-3-1. I know KJ calls it 4-3-3 anyway but it doesn't really work out like that. Maybe it will need to be with better players (we will have to keep improving our team as we go on anyway), but with Price behind McDonald and Evans, which would be more solid defensively through the middle and allow the front three to go and express themselves more.

As it is, Edwards is doing OK (he has good games and quiet ones) and people might say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but we have to find something extra if we are to get promoted I think.

Don't think there's an earthly of us moving to 4-4-2. Ken tried it in December and clearly didn't like it. As soon as he could switch back he did, Graham played a grand total of 0 minutes with Dicko.

I think (or hope, really) Saville may yet have a future here. Possibly in Edwards' spot.

I think saville will play a role here, there have been times in the last 2 years where it looked like Price and Evans weren't in KJs plans and then came in out of nowhere to get a run in the side. I'm sure that will happen with saville at some point.

on Saville, I just put this post on footballforums in reply to a Brentford fan asking why he hadn't been a successful signing so far

I feel sorry for Saville.

He came into the team just as Nouha Dicko got injured. Replaced Edwards and we changed our shape slightly in midfield. His first start against Charlton he did quite well, should have scored (hit inside of post and rolled back across goal) and was unlucky to be taken off at half time as we simply had to bring Dicko on and we went 442 as we were behind at the time. Started 10 days later again in the same midfield three, did OK and missed a sitter. However, again, it was good old Leon Clarke in the team. I don't think he has started a single game when we've had a proper forward line, which is what makes us the team we are with the pace the likes of Dicko, Sako and van la Parra provide.

If you look at the stats, he has a 89.2% pass accuracy rate which is the best of the Wolves squad and makes 40 passes a game. That isn't terrible at all. he's a good footballer who will probably just take a bit of time to find his feet at Wolves.

What worried me was at the Fulham cup game. In the warm up, he strolled around, casually took part in the finishing exercise they do with Gallen and then carelesslly whacked a ball into the crowd and could have hurt someone

Yeah, the kid is 21 and we paid £1m for him four months ago, he isn't going to be shipped out or written off. KJ is on record as saying he sees his future in a 4-3-3. As YW rightly points out we don't play that system currently but we may well do at some point in the not too distant future.

Saville - Price/Evans - McDonald

Afobe - Dicko - Sako

For the sake of argument.

We're one or two players away from being a very good side. Look at the influence Jelle Vossen has had at boro.

A bit of a strange example seeing as he's featured in less than half of their league games!

My biggest critique of us so far is the lack of goals from midfield positions. Bournemouth have five midfielders with five or more so far which is superb. It's concerning that VLP hasn't netted once yet when he's playing as one of our three most advanced players, although I acknowledge he should have bagged a few in the past few weeks.

IIRC Jackett has said something about Saville being an attacking midfielder who runs from deep. He likes the idea of late runs into the box, I guess, and I think he sees Edwards as that guy for the moment and possibly Saville in the future.

Saville did quite well at Brentford so we know there's a player there.

A bit of a strange example seeing as he's featured in less than half of their league games!

My biggest critique of us so far is the lack of goals from midfield positions. Bournemouth have five midfielders with five or more so far which is superb. It's concerning that VLP hasn't netted once yet when he's playing as one of our three most advanced players, although I acknowledge he should have bagged a few in the past few weeks.

Suspect that this is a mental issue for him now - he gets in the right position & probably just needs one to go in

I think Rajiv has to start scoring eventually. He's too good not to.

Saville needs to develop a "role" to have any long term future in the first team.

Afobe seems equally confident with left or right foot after watching that video...Good to see and he looks a strong player too

Do we think Benik will immediately start over Nouha?

I expect us to buy better players from now on,so yes I do.Maybe not immediately but within a month.Maybe we can play both!

Back