• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that a lot of people, across the internet and social media, think we need another centre midfielder.

As I have just pointed out on twitter; if we can't trust a young talent like MGW as a fourth choice centre midfielder (when we only play two) in a team that is nine points clear at the top of the Championship, when will we ever? Even if Neves and Saiss got suspended at the same time, I do actually think N'Diaye and Gibbs-White could cope. It would still be a damn site better than our midfield from last season.
Coming out of the ground on Saturday I heard someone calling for a "snotter" and an "enforcer" how they reconciled the loss to a lack of one of them is anyone's guess

Coming out of the ground on Saturday I heard someone calling for a "snotter" and an "enforcer" how they reconciled the loss to a lack of one of them is anyone's guess

Sunderland could do with getting Lee Cattermole off the wage bill. Gerrim in.

There was a bloke in front of me on Saturday who stood up and screamed gerrit forward while flicking the Vs at the pitch.

While out football style might have evolved, it seems some of our fans have not...

Leo had pulled off to just behind the penalty spot and was unmarked. Doherty just didn't spot him. Nods it back and we probably score.

Yep. He pulls off every single time and we often do try the cut back too him. Just not on this occasion.

Oh definitely agree, a player like that would be very special.

This is the position we're in at the moment; unless we can persuade players to come and play below what their level really should be, mid-season (which is naturally more difficult than in the summer as the selling club probably has goals of their own this season to fulfil and they have limited time to replace the bloke you want off them), then we're going to struggle to get much better than what we have, Doherty aside.

Saturday was my first sighting of Rafa and though he didn't do anything wrong (and the service into him wasn't very good), he looked a bit like a taller Leo. If we're after a different option - an AgüeroLite, if you will - then you might look at Dwight Gayle. Brilliant record at this level, nothing like what we have...but the problems are twofold. One, are Newcastle going to sell him when they're already short up front and in a relegation battle, Two, he's not necessarily who you'd want in the PL, he hasn't really ever convinced there for Palace or Toon.

Unless it's an absolute gamechanger then I can't see another striker coming in this month. Whereas we quite obviously need a RWB as competition if nothing else, we literally don't have anyone.

Yep. He pulls off every single time and we often do try the cut back too him. Just not on this occasion.

I think peeling off is OK if you have somebody going forward for the knock across rather than back. I'd like to see Leo get back to mixing it up.

I think peeling off is OK if you have somebody going forward for the knock across rather than back. I'd like to see Leo get back to mixing it up.

Yeah I alluded to this in the verdict. We never have enough men in the box. Cav and Jota don’t seem to be attacking the back post anymore and the opposite wing back is often waiting for scraps on the opposite side rather than getting in. With Neves and Saiss often so deep we don’t really have any other options and it’s normally just Leo chilling on the penalty spot. Problem with Neves and Saiss getting involved we would be very prone to the counter, so it probably just needs more desire from Cav and Jota to get involved.

Cav is frequently on the bench :icon_wink: but take your point, as costa/jota aren't gambling. Likewise in the 2nd half cav got to the byline, but no-one gambled when he put it across.

That said, this debate reminds me of slinks comments, in that we get pushed wide and seem to hammer in crosses, which isn't our style. Maybe we should (or even are) work(ing) on how to effectively move the ball from the wide positions in manners other than straightforward crosses.

When Jota last gambled he missed from 1mm...

This is the position we're in at the moment; unless we can persuade players to come and play below what their level really should be, mid-season (which is naturally more difficult than in the summer as the selling club probably has goals of their own this season to fulfil and they have limited time to replace the bloke you want off them), then we're going to struggle to get much better than what we have, Doherty aside.

Saturday was my first sighting of Rafa and though he didn't do anything wrong (and the service into him wasn't very good), he looked a bit like a taller Leo. If we're after a different option - an AgüeroLite, if you will - then you might look at Dwight Gayle. Brilliant record at this level, nothing like what we have...but the problems are twofold. One, are Newcastle going to sell him when they're already short up front and in a relegation battle, Two, he's not necessarily who you'd want in the PL, he hasn't really ever convinced there for Palace or Toon.

Unless it's an absolute gamechanger then I can't see another striker coming in this month. Whereas we quite obviously need a RWB as competition if nothing else, we literally don't have anyone.
Gayle would be good to have off the bench, but would he really want to come here and sit on our bench. Seen Mir twice now and looks like he could be good, but has a long way to go. A couple of years ago I hoped Afobe could have been that player - quick, good touch and great at scoring goals, it's not really happened for him though.

Gayle would be good to have off the bench, but would he really want to come here and sit on our bench. Seen Mir twice now and looks like he could be good, but has a long way to go. A couple of years ago I hoped Afobe could have been that player - quick, good touch and great at scoring goals, it's not really happened for him though.

Gayle isn't a sure starter at Newcastle either tbf. I don't think Rafa rates him all that highly.

Get Morrison and Oliveria from Norwich. Chuck em £20m and Jordan Graham & Ben Marshall - job done

Loic Diony joining Brizzle. We were linked with him over the summer.

The super annoying steward said we should bring in Cameron Jerome. I'd be surprised if we bought in another striker, would be very difficult to get someone in this window who is going to improve us without costing a fortune. It shouldn't prove to be costly if we don't. I think we're all agreed that competition or a replacement for Doherty is required.

The super annoying steward said we should bring in Cameron Jerome. I'd be surprised if we bought in another striker, would be very difficult to get someone in this window who is going to improve us without costing a fortune. It shouldn't prove to be costly if we don't. I think we're all agreed that competition or a replacement for Doherty is required.

I wouldn't have minded Jerome to be honest. I'd rather we spend 10m on a striker to get us 10/12 goals and have a back up next season.

If Bonatini breaks we're screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back