• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that a lot of people, across the internet and social media, think we need another centre midfielder.

As I have just pointed out on twitter; if we can't trust a young talent like MGW as a fourth choice centre midfielder (when we only play two) in a team that is nine points clear at the top of the Championship, when will we ever? Even if Neves and Saiss got suspended at the same time, I do actually think N'Diaye and Gibbs-White could cope. It would still be a damn site better than our midfield from last season.

If we wanted backup for a situation that may never happen and if it does, will last a whole two games then we should have kept Price to essentially never play. But that would be pointless.

Maybe we should get another LWB in case Douglas and Vinagre are both unavailable at the same time?

I've noticed that a lot of people, across the internet and social media, think we need another centre midfielder.

As I have just pointed out on twitter; if we can't trust a young talent like MGW as a fourth choice centre midfielder (when we only play two) in a team that is nine points clear at the top of the Championship, when will we ever? Even if Neves and Saiss got suspended at the same time, I do actually think N'Diaye and Gibbs-White could cope. It would still be a damn site better than our midfield from last season.

The young Goncalves has been brought in too so we have 5 midfielders to choose from and I agree with you we just don't need one and we need to let MGW play.

The need for a new RWB is more important and I'm sure we are looking that way. Got to be worth pursuing some quality players and I'm sure there will be plenty of players that will push Doherty.

RWB should be our top priority. If we had a young player with the quality of MGW I wouldn't have an issue but we clearly don't and Nuno obviously didn't see Marshall as an option in that position, which I think is understandable.

While I would not say no to another quality striker, I'm getting quite tired of seeing 'we need an experienced Championship striker'. What like Le Fondre? No ta.

Even with Leo not firing at this moment in time (I believe he'll have a good run soon) we have Cav, Jota and Mir who can all play that central role too without him. Even Costa too if needed.

RWB should be our top priority. If we had a young player with the quality of MGW I wouldn't have an issue but we clearly don't and Nuno obviously didn't see Marshall as an option in that position, which I think is understandable.

While I would not say no to another quality striker, I'm getting quite tired of seeing 'we need an experienced Championship striker'. What like Le Fondre? No ta.

Even with Leo not firing at this moment in time (I believe he'll have a good run soon) we have Cav, Jota and Mir who can all play that central role too without him. Even Costa too if needed.

Bright as well.

Yeah not sure why I forgot him! Another young player that I have complete faith in if required.

Think I wanna see MGW as LF/RF. Don't see him getting a fat lot of time at CM (and he gets bullied a little there, and I don't think Alf+MGW is a great pairing either), we don't play a CAM, he's nowhere near a wingback - stick him up there and let him play. Main reason I want to see him more is I just think he looks hungry. He's got something to give to us

Bang on. As we often say, no matter how much cover we have and regardless of the quality of that cover, people ALWAYS want more. Always.

Neves/Saiss/Gibbs-White/N'Diaye is exceptional quality for central midfield and I agree with you - N'Diaye/MGW wouldn't concern me if called upon. (I wasn't there but didn't N'Diaye have a stormer v Swansea in the cup game at Molineux as the lone CM?)

It really is only RWB that I think we need cover for. Every other position really does have some great options if needed. Obviously if we have the option to increase any part of the squad in this window, we should with next season in mind but RWB is the only area we're short on cover for.

didn't N'Diaye have a stormer v Swansea in the cup game at Molineux as the lone CM?)

Deffo. Probably didn't get enough mentions for that. Was literally him with 3 behind him and a wingback either side.

Haven’t seen anyone suggesting we need another CM. If there are, they are weird.

Was listening to wm last night and people were saying we need "a fox in the box to get on the end of things"....blah blah blah

Not one mention of how Doherty's crosses hit the first man every fucking time but then they love him to bits on there.

They're generally people who don't think Saiss is good enough, quite who they think we could get in now that wouldn't a) cost loads b) rock the boat with regard to squad harmony and c) struggle to get up to speed with the way we play quickly. I don't know

Was listening to wm last night and people were saying we need "a fox in the box to get on the end of things"....blah blah blah

Not one mention of how Doherty's crosses hit the first man every fucking time but then they love him to bits on there.

You're right on the whole (it also happened for corners).

However there was one cross in the first half that Doc headed back across the 6 yard box and Leo just wasn't there. In the first couple of months of the season that was exactly the sort of position he had been in to score, we don't need a fox in the box, but we do need Leo to take up the positions he was earlier in the season.

However there was one cross in the first half that Doc headed back across the 6 yard box and Leo just wasn't there. In the first couple of months of the season that was exactly the sort of position he had been in to score, we don't need a fox in the box, but we do need Leo to take up the positions he was earlier in the season.

Leo had pulled off to just behind the penalty spot and was unmarked. Doherty just didn't spot him. Nods it back and we probably score.

Was that the one that Jota should have gambled on or was there also one with Leo?

Edit: I think it might have been Cav that Jota should have got on the end of?

The only criticism I could put on Bonatini is that he really isn't that quick. He does great work to drop deep and lay the ball off intelligently, but occasionally he really isn't quick enough to then follow that up and get in the box.

The only criticism I could put on Bonatini is that he really isn't that quick. He does great work to drop deep and lay the ball off intelligently, but occasionally he really isn't quick enough to then follow that up and get in the box.

It's a fair observation, but the ideal player you're describing here is probably someone like Mauro Icardi, or prime Didier Drogba :icon_lol:

At our level (and even the next one up that we aspire to) there has to be some kind of a payoff somewhere with lone forwards.

It's a fair observation, but the ideal player you're describing here is probably someone like Mauro Icardi, or prime Didier Drogba :icon_lol:

At our level (and even the next one up that we aspire to) there has to be some kind of a payoff somewhere with lone forwards.
Oh definitely agree, a player like that would be very special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back