• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

I have never played any mass effect. Is it worth getting the earlier games first and playing through or will diving straight in with this one work?

I have never played any mass effect. Is it worth getting the earlier games first and playing through or will diving straight in with this one work?

DEFINITELY play the first two beforehand. They're both awesome games, but more importantly - the way the story progresses is brilliant. And you wouldn't watch Return of the Jedi without seeing A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back, would you?

Sounds like a plan. After I complete oblivion and morrowind if I get that one I may invest in this franchise.

I played ME2 and never felt the need to care about the ME1 story. You can tell they referenced it at times, but it sat on its own pretty well. As far as I'm aware, the 3rd is supposed to tie back into the 2nd a lot more than the 2nd did into the first, though.

I'd thoroughly recommend them.

Also - you have to make a decision in ME1 that affects some of the story of ME2. And apparently, it has quite a large impact on what happens in ME3.

Loads of returning characters appear in ME2, and because you knew them in ME1, it's great to see them back and catch up with their back story.

Toon might agree with me here - I think it's the most engaging story ever in a gaming series.

I'm not buying ME3 yet because I've too many other games to finish - and Skyrim DLC will be out soon.....

So if anybody posts any spoilers on this forum, I'll tell my Mum.

Bloody hell. That is pretty damning to say the least.

I note the main complaint is to do with shoehorning in online play at the expense of the game itself. Thank fuck Bethesda haven't gone down that route.

Nah, I reckon it'll be fine.

Apparently, a lot of people are giving it low scores purely because there's a gay scene in it (which I assume is one of the character sub plots).

Anyway, I'll find out tonight and will report back as usual.

I never read meta critic reviews as I often disagree with them.

Nah, I reckon it'll be fine.

Apparently, a lot of people are giving it low scores purely because there's a gay scene in it (which I assume is one of the character sub plots).

Anyway, I'll find out tonight and will report back as usual.

I never read meta critic reviews as I often disagree with them.

There were complaints that there were always lesbian scenes but never gay ones, so they added some dude on dude to be fair. Shepard on Garrus action, awww yeah.

There were complaints that there were always lesbian scenes but never gay ones, so they added some dude on dude to be fair. Shepard on Garrus action, awww yeah.

Garrus on Wrex. Proper hardcore.

Had a go on ME3 last night - the first level is basically the demo, but then did the next mission on Mars which was brilliant.

Combat is definitely better than ever - easier to master and clever AI meaning you have to actually plan your method of attack.

Obviously way too early to praise/criticise the plot but it's quite gripping so far.

One flaw I did notice - I imported my ME2 data, which actually keeps your skill levels from the previous game (level 31 in my case). What that means is you have a shitload of skill points to allocate to your character right away.

That's not to say you're an indestructible mega-hard bastard in the early exchanges (the combat difficulty is pretty much spot on - I'm using the default difficulty as usual), but it does mean that there won't be all that much levelling up of skills as I gain XP in ME3. Seems a bit daft to give you so many attributes straight away.

Great fun so far, and difficult to put down which can't be a bad thing!

About 7 hours into ME3 and thoroughly enjoying it.

Loving the visuals - some of the backdrops are absolutely stunning.

It's a lot like ME2 just a lot more polished. Certainly anyone who loved the previous games will get a lot out of it.

I won't reveal any spoilers, but plot wise it chugs along nicely. It's great to see familiar faces crop up unexpectedly (again, much like ME2 and a reason why you should play the first 2 games before starting this one).

The 'scanning' mini game has been changed too, for the better as you now have to keep an eye out for any reapers who may have detected you (provided you're exploring a system they have infiltrated).

So far, I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest the bad scores and 'reviews' on Metacritic are accurate. I can only assume those who slammed the game didn't like the ending, but that's a LOT of people who were able to skim through in order to complete the game - that apparently takes between 30-50 hours - and still post a review less than 24 hours after it came out in the states. Hmm...

Especially for Langdale (make sure you watch to the end):

The Big Bang Theory = best sit-com currently on TV.

Last edited:
Back