• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

Too many games, not enough time! I finished Horizon and Lost Legacy, I’ve started playing Skyrim a bit but only a few hours in. I have MGS 5 ready to go after it was free a few months ago, I downloaded Bloodborne the other day and haven’t started it, I bought the Witcher 3 on sale recently and haven’t touched it yet. Also playing Fifa on and off, two telltale games I’ve yet to start and I want to get A Way Out and Far Cry 5 which are almost out. Oh and I really want Burnout Paradise Remastered too.

I need about 6 months off work [emoji1]

I know the feeling. I’m on the last DLC of Skyrim now. I’m only a few hours into MGS5 which I’m really enjoying. I’m a few hours into Witcher 3 and I downloaded free copy of Bloodbourne. I’m also playing Far Cry 4. Foolishly I also restarted Oblivion and Fallout 3 again. That’s not including all the IOS games I need to finish as well.

I need to retire!

A summary of Sea of Thieves having played a few hours last night - on my own this time but I should be part of a crew tonight.

• It's absolutely gorgeous to look at - especially the sea which is the best effect I think I've ever seen on a game
  • It also sounds great. The splash of the waves, the creaking of the boat, the music etc
  • Might just have been my lobby but it was VERY empty. I only saw 1 other boat the whole time I was playing (they were friendly and asked me not to attack them so I didn't and we waved at each other)
  • So far, all the missions have been very basic 'go to island, do something, bring something back' type affairs
  • As I was sailing on my tod, I had to get to grips with sailing a sloop by myself. And it's a very satisfying feeling once you get the hang of it - superb dynamics and feel to it
  • The lack of variety with things that can hurt you is rather alarming (skeletons, snakes.... erm.....)
  • No tutorials WHATSOEVER. Which might really annoy people, but I think it's a masterstroke. There are so many things you'll pick up on which feel great when you're not told how to do them. Initiative and common sense are the key here
  • No progression system. I thought this was a really stupid idea to start off with, but having thought about it a bit, it's not so bad. You're not going to get completely left behind by someone who puts in hundreds of hours and is therefore far too powerful. I think this is a game where you can go back after a while and pick up from where you left off. No bad thing.
  • It's clearly meant to be played with other people. As fun as it was to sail the 7 seas (arrrr!) with a cool little boat, the interaction between other people was sorely lacking

I get that this is a little bit different, and I could forgive that if they expanded what is a very promising product. And playing it solo is NOT what it was designed for, so I've no doubts that there's far more fun to be had purely be interaction with other crews. But unless they spew out a lot more content fairly quickly, I can see there being quite a backlash to this. There really isn't much to do, and what you can do is VERY limited and samey. The good news is that the game mechanics and feel of the experience is absolutely spot on - but right now, it's nowhere near worth picking up for £40-odd. The big question for me is will they release enough new content quickly enough to keep people playing? This COULD still be a classic, but it's bare bones stuff at the moment.

I'm informed they had server issues with "too many people on" and had to spread them out hence you didn't see many other ships.

No game is right these days and it's just become the norm.

I'm informed they had server issues with "too many people on" and had to spread them out hence you didn't see many other ships.

No game is right these days and it's just become the norm.

Yeah there were a lot of issues - that never bothers me TBH because all games will have teething problems when they launch. They'll get that sorted.

The main problem is the lack of content. At the moment...

Have to agree Langers. Played it for about 3.5 hours on launch night with my son and we didn’t see one other ship.

There is a slight progression system based on how many quests you do to rank up the different factions you acquire them from. I completed a few commendations and didn’t even come close to levelling up with the trader.

After the 3.5 hours I got bored very quickly. My missions started to be repetitive in that it was sending me back to islands I had already got the treasure from.

I've been reading about some of the bugs, and the progression sometimes doesn't work apparently. Achievements are delayed as well - I must have unlocked 3 or 4 but due to issues with the servers, there's a massive backlog of data (assuming down to the issue b3h mentioned?)

I'll see how I get on later. There's so much that's RIGHT with it, which I think makes it all the more frustrating that there are so many really weird omissions.

Makes sense. We killed an elite mob from the message in the bottle and got absolutely nothing for doing it.

no comments from mark about my sweet controller?! :icon_lol:

I need that cat pad in my life. That's even better

they're on amazon for like $5. the sticks were starting to cut up my thumb on that controller, they work pretty well.

I need a controller with reinforced stick rings. I don't know what it is but I always end up grinding them down.

Makes sense. We killed an elite mob from the message in the bottle and got absolutely nothing for doing it.

It's not even a game. It's a tech demo for the most incredible water effects that gaming has ever seen. It's emptier than Dan's heart when someone tells him Doherty is a decent player.

Also, Ubisoft is having a big sale on Steam at the moment, if anyone wants to help them celebrate getting out from Vivendi's thumb.

Played on Sea of Thieves for ages last night. Found a full crew to team up with this time.

Holy shit, it's got plenty of faults but it's outrageously good fun when part of a 4 man crew and you're all talking to each other. The most fun I've had on a video game in years.

Just bought the new Wonder Boy game for the switch :)

The first wonder boy was the first ever game I owned. Had it on the speccy 2, I remember it as being awesome, I suspect I might be a tad disappointed.

Played Sea of Thieves all day yesterday, breifly stopping to urinate. First proper go on it tbh, actually doing missions and bumping in to other ships. Have to agree with Langers and Alan, bit empty and repetitive atm but great fun with a crew.

I crewed up with 3 randoms last night. And it was the best night's gaming I have ever had. It was bloody hilarious, completely crazy, full of incident and we didn't finish til 2am as we got massively sidetracked. We saw LOADS of other boats, got into quite a lot of fights and won most of them, completed a fort battle and as were heading back to port to unload the masses of treasure, we were attacked by a Kraken - first one I've seen!!

So Sea of Thieves CAN be totally amazing despite being thin on content.

Sea of Thieves is absolutey immense, me and my crew are absolutely dog shit but we're getting there. Still lots of upgrades to do to the missions so hopefully we can get more cash, and the first fort battle we had we got trashed. However brilliant fun.

Yeah it took us ages to complete the fort - but it was worth it for the amount of loot we got.

Managed to get a YouTube clip of one of our battles with an enemy ship - one of my crewmates uploaded it. Textbook sailing.

Back