• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

xbone and PS4 are like comparing Helder and Diogo, both class!

Either way, I've been playing Destiny 2, having avoided the original because "I don't like online games", well it's fair to say that D2 has challenged my preconceptions and is an excellent game!

Got an xbone in the end, surprisingly cheap, £100 with five old games and controller. Will wait a bit to buy fifa 18 when it comes down a bit, but got ea membership which means I can play 17,and Rory's pga game for only £4 per month which has suited me. Got battlefront, halo, and a few others I can't remember with it, only tried battlefront so far, it's good fun!
I've got EA Access, downloaded Rory's PGA which is surprisingly good I think.
It's around £20 for the year, cheaper in some places, if that's better for you rather than paying monthly.

Remember you can share Xbox with someone including Xbox Live so only one of you has to pay/go halves.

Fifa 18 continues to astound me with its sheer realistic edge. Concede 8 shots in 4 games? That'll be 8 goals for the AI please.

The computer can't half finish with bog standard players.

Have just started playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time.

The tank controls are a nightmare but certainly do ratchet up the tension when these zombie Spaniards are coming at you.

Have just started playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time.

The tank controls are a nightmare but certainly do ratchet up the tension when these zombie Spaniards are coming at you.

I remember getting that for the GameCube and it was brilliant, possibly hasn't aged that well though. Watch out for the chainsaw guys!

I recently played through Resident Evil 7 and it was very, very good and succeeded in scaring the shit out of me quite a few times. Wouldn't fancy trying the vr version!

A gaming forum I use has been voting for its best games. Posters were allowed to select 20 games in order to decide the full list - it's a busy forum so there were a lot of votes. It's been going on for weeks now but the results have finally been unveiled - thought it was interesting so I've posted them here. And no, I haven't played all of these!!

Delighted by the game at the very top - it got my vote!

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Super Mario World
  4. Super Mario Galaxy
  5. Halo
  6. The Last of Us
  7. Super Mario 64
  8. Dark Souls
  9. Mario Kart 8
  10. The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
  11. Bloodborne
  12. The legend of zelda Ocarina of time
  13. Rez Infinite
  14. Half Life 2
  15. Metroid Prime
  16. The Witcher 3
  17. Tetris
  18. Red Dead Redemption
  19. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  20. Advance Wars
  21. Portal
  22. World of Warcraft
  23. Shadow of collosus
  24. GTA V
  25. Street Fighter 2
  26. Final Fantasy VII
  27. Persona 4 Golden
  28. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
  29. Shenmue
  30. Super Mario Kart
  31. Chrono Trigger
  32. Skyrim
  33. Fallout 3
  34. Ico
  35. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  36. Portal 2
  37. Outrun 2006
  38. Deus Ex
  39. Super Metroid
  40. Mass Effect 2
  41. NiGHTS Into Dreams
  42. Rock Band 3
  43. Metal Gear Solid
  44. Spelunky HD
  45. Demons Souls
  46. Minecraft
  47. Uncharted 2
  48. The Witness
  49. Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain
  50. DOOM (2016)
  51. The Last Guardian
  52. DOOM
  53. Streets of Rage 2
  54. Goldeneye 007
  55. Super Monkey Ball
  56. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  57. Ninja Gaiden Black
  58. Destiny
  59. WipEout HD/Fury (also in Omega Collection)
  60. Final Fantasy XII
  61. Resident Evil 2
  62. Xenoblade Chronicles
  63. Journey
  64. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
  65. Super Mario Maker
  66. Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
  67. Bioshock
  68. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  69. Rocket League
  70. Shenmue II
  71. Animal Crossing New Leaf
  72. Wave Race 64
  73. Yoshi's Island
  74. Final Fantasy 6
  75. Robotron
  76. Street Fighter IV
  77. Yakuza 0
  78. Phantasy Star Online and v2
  79. Vanquish
  80. Splatoon 2
  81. Mass Effect
  82. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  83. Okami
  84. Batman: Arkham City
  85. Doom 2
  86. Super Mario Bros 3
  87. Resident Evil: remake
  88. Secret of Mana
  89. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
  90. Sonic Mania
  91. Warioware Inc
  92. Halo Reach
  93. Crusader Kings 2
  94. Mario Kart 64
  95. Puyo Puyo Tetris
  96. Valkyria Chronicles
  97. Silent Hill 2
  98. Grand Theft Auto 3
  99. F-Zero X
  100. Pokemon Red/Blue
  101. Bayonetta
  102. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  103. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  104. Wii Sports
  105. Elite Dangerous
  106. OutRun 2
  107. Fez
  108. Final Fantasy IX
  109. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  110. Uncharted 4
  111. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  112. Super Meat Boy
  113. Diablo 3
  114. Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward
  115. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  116. F-Zero GX
  117. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  118. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  119. Jet Set Radio
  120. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
  121. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
  122. Quake 3 Arena
  123. Killer7
  124. Sega Rally
  125. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  126. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
  127. Sensible World of Soccer
  128. Halo 3
  129. Overwatch
  130. GTA Vice City
  131. Outrun
  132. Dark Souls 3
  133. XCOM 2
  134. Stardew Valley
  135. Pac Man CE
  136. Vagrant Story
  137. Shin Megami Tensei Lucifer's Call
  138. Sonic The Hedgehog 3&Knuckles
  139. Dishonored 2
  140. Project Gotham Racing 4
  141. Halo: ODST
  142. Gran Turismo
  143. Starfox 64 3D
  144. Final Fantasy Tactics
  145. Nex Machina
  146. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  147. F-Zero
  148. Driveclub
  149. PilotWings 64
  150. Final Fight
  151. Everybody's Golf World Tour
  152. Sonic 2
  153. Castlevania IV
  154. Devil May Cry 3
  155. Space Giraffe
  156. Paradroid
  157. Dungeon Master
  158. Ketsui
  159. Braid
  160. Counterstrike
  161. Dishonored
  162. Crackdown
  163. Speedball 2
  164. Yakuza 4
  165. Final Fantasy XI
  166. Dark Souls 2
  167. Burnout Paradise
  168. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
  169. Forza Horizon 2
  170. TxK
  171. Binding of Isaac
  172. Katamari Damacy
  173. Everybody's Golf Portable
  174. Civilisation 4
  175. Rhythm Tengoku
  176. Batman Arkham Asylum
  177. Streets of Rage
  178. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  179. GTA 4
  180. Dwarf Fortress
  181. Carcassonne
  182. Perfect Dark
  183. Soul Calibur
  184. Ikaruga
  185. Tie Fighter
  186. FTL
  187. Gouls n Ghosts
  188. Puzzle Bobble
  189. Super Hexagon
  190. Super Mario 3D World
  191. Fable II
  192. Inside
  193. Fire Emblem
  194. Beatles Rock Band
  195. New Super Mario Bros U
  196. Mushihimesama Futari
  197. Pikmin 2
  198. Forza Horizon
  199. Divinity: Original Sin
  200. Batman Arkham Knight

FWIW, my 20 choices were:

1. Zelda Breath of the Wild
An absolute masterpiece - I've never been so involved in a world before. Almost faultless.

2. Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim
I think I spent more time on this game than I have on any other game before or since. I got 1000/1000 before they released any of the DLC which I was mega chuffed with, despite never really being an achievement hoarder - I just played it so much!!

3. Mass Effect 2
The best of the series. The epitome of how to make a sequel. Pipping Streets of Rage 2 (which would have featured for nostalgic value but in reality I wouldn't play it for long these days). The ending to 3 still grates somewhat but that can't take the shine off this title. Amazing.

4. Grand Theft Auto V
I'm another who never really got into the GTA games until 5 came along. And absolutely blew me away.

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
The game that got me into multiplayer. I dread to think how many days I went to work after less than 4 hours sleep. I'd have bought the remaster if it was a standalone release but thinking about it, would it sully the memories?

6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Got this for my Amazon Fire Tablet a year or so ago and it's aged brilliantly. Which will always happen with such a strong story.

7. Mario Kart 8
Bought for my kids. Yeah, right. It's brilliant. Best racing game ever.

8. Red Dead Redemption
I always preferred this to GTA IV. They got the atmosphere spot on and I'm on board for Day 1 when RDR 2 arrives.

9. Battlefield 1
Whereas CoD has stagnated, BF1 is the best current gen FPS for a good, solid multiplayer session with mates.

10. Uncharted 4
I had to add an Uncharted game to this list. I love them.

11. Batman: Arkham City
So much fun from start to finish. I rarely go back to a game after completing the campaign, but I went back and found all the collectibles etc on this as I enjoyed the exploring so much.

12. Forza Horizon 3
Stunning to look at, incredibly satisfying to play.

13. Lego Dimensions
Wasn't sure which Lego game to include, but this wins for the cool base unit, amusing story and the fact it's got Dr Who in it.

14. Streetfighter IV
I've not played V yet so this will be my SF entry. Played since I was a kid - I've grown up with SF games and I love the fact it's still so great today.

15. Championship Manager 03/04
The one where I won the Champions League with Wolves for 6 consecutive years, and Morten Gamst Pedersen was the best player in the world (making this the least believable entry in my list so far beating dragons, magic stone tablets and dinosaurs shooting turtle shells from a moving go kart). It got too complicated in latter years to the detriment of fun, so this is my vote for the CM/FM series.

16. Super Mario Galaxy
Wasn't sure whether to include this or SM3DW but chose Galaxy as it was so original and groundbreaking. I've never played the sequel, much to my shame.

17. Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Black Flag is the best of the series for me, but I've chosen Brotherhood as it's set in Rome. Climbing the Colosseum! Amazing (I did my dissertation on it and was amazed by the detail of the map).

18. Shadow of Mordor
A classic I never expected, a lot more depth to the gameplay than I'd ever thought possible in a LOTR game and lots of decapitating orcs. Cool.

19. Halo MCC
Is it cheating to add the collection rather than an individual title? I don't think I can choose between the original which made me sit up and take notice of the franchise, Halo 2 which for me was the pinnacle of the original Xbox, or Halo 3 which is one of the first online games I played (I spent loads of time at work the day after a long session checking the heat maps and stats from previous evenings!

20. God of War 3
I remember being mega stressed at work, then coming home and button bashing the shit out of this game which helped loads. Deliciously OTT.

Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain is currently free to download with PS+

10/10 on IGN - took up 3 hours of my time this morning very quickly anyway!

Not really a Nintendo man by any means but has there ever been a bad mainstream Mario game? Ignoring bollocks like Hotel Mario on the Philips CDi. They're always very, very well crafted. I had Galaxy on the Wii which is one of the few games I've bothered to complete in the last decade, fantastic stuff.

Not really - a few iffy tie ins like Mario Tennis but the main platformers (2D and 3D) and Mario Kart games are always bang on.

I think I've played all the 3D Mario titles and they're all brilliant. My kids love Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U - it's immense.

Odyssey looks even better.

Mario seems to always take the wildest possible risks and, unlike Zelda and Metroid, somehow they pay off in the most incredible ways.

It is partly amazing and partly tragic that Mario can literally be incredible every single time it gets a new release while franchises like Zelda and Metroid haven't seen really properly good releases for a decade or more.

while franchises like Zelda and Metroid haven't seen really properly good releases for a decade or more.

U wot m8?! :icon_lol:

Main-Day.jpg

Nah, not having that. It's a masterpiece.

No masterpiece involves fluff collection of that magnitude, nor reuse of textures, music, and basic concept (the shrines) over 100 times.

I can accept someone liking it, to be clear, but anything that descends into busy work can't be called a masterpiece.

No masterpiece involves fluff collection of that magnitude, nor reuse of textures, music, and basic concept (the shrines) over 100 times.

What about the game physics, freedom of exploration, crafting abilities, atmosphere, visuals, scale, plot structure, freedom and AI?

Saying the reuse of textures and music is a negative is bizarre as well. The visuals are glorious and music - whilst admittedly minimal - suits the game perfectly.

Seriously, no idea why you've got an issue with this game - it's amazing.

What about the game physics, freedom of exploration, crafting abilities, atmosphere, visuals, scale, plot structure, freedom and AI?

Saying the reuse of textures and music is a negative is bizarre as well. The visuals are glorious and music - whilst admittedly minimal - suits the game perfectly.

Seriously, no idea why you've got an issue with this game - it's amazing.
Because it's not fun?

I can accept someone liking it, to be clear, but anything that descends into busy work can't be called a masterpiece.

Well - it can if the 'busy work' as you put it is engaging, relevant and adds to the experience!

Back