• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

After a wild goose chase at lunchtime I can confirm there are no copies of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U anywhere in England's supposed 2nd city. Fucking Brummies.

However - good old Tesco Direct have saved the day I should be playing it by the weekend assuming it's delivered on time!

Mega excited. Though a bit miffed I had to face the general public for nothing when the good old internet would have saved me all that stress and aggro.

I've also just realised that James called it The Breath of Wind which made me laugh a bit :icon_lol:

I need that now.

Looks fantastic, I thoroughly enjoyed the first, may buy it again to replay it before the new one comes out.

Really didn't think I'd be bothered by the Switch but I keep seeing it mentioned and now I'm starting to fancy one, dammit!

I'm looking forward to the new South Park game (postponed to April at least) and Micro Machines (July maybe) which should be a blast from the past.

That looks immense.

Didn't play Shadow of Mordor, feel like I should now
It's brilliant. Highly recommended even though it's over 2 years old now - you can probably get it fairly cheap as a result.

Executing orcs in several different ways can keep you amused for hours.

It's brilliant. Highly recommended even though it's over 2 years old now - you can probably get it fairly cheap as a result.

Executing orcs in several different ways can keep you amused for hours.
Just checked my brothers PS4 library and he has a copy so I'm downloading it to my system now. Will give it a spin tonight! Could do with the sort of game where you can kill without limit 😆

Just checked my brothers PS4 library and he has a copy so I'm downloading it to my system now. Will give it a spin tonight! Could do with the sort of game where you can kill without limit 😆
Good man. The variety of killing is tremendous - be it via stealth, firing an arrow into an explosive barrel of fire, dropping a bee hive onto orcs from above, riding into battle on some sort of four legged reptile thing or just a nice mêlée style decapitation.

I found it rather therapeutic after a bad day at work.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is truly one of the greatest games ever made. Seriously - it's just ridiculous. It's beautiful, it plays like a dream, the game mechanics are great, the puzzles are good, the AI is brilliant, the quest is varied, interesting but never anything that stops you going off on a side quest, which are just as strong as the main campaign.

Somehow, Nintendo have managed to create the best open world I have ever encountered in a game. I'd say Skyrim was the best up to now, but even that doesn't have the scale or variety of this. Nothing is out of bounds, yet every area has something in it that you'd need to return to once you've got better gear, more stamina/health etc.

It's so meticulously made as well. With regards to the game physics, if you think something should work, it almost always does. I needed to get onto a ledge from a flat area, and as it was raining it was too slippery to climb up. So I wondered if I could make a fire and use the updraft from that to glide up using the incredibly useful parachute. It only bloody worked.

Combat is perfectly pitched. There are some badass monsters out there - but you're not supposed to tackle those straight away. The satisfaction of returning to them with better weapons, a longer health meter, more armour and defeating them is immense.

Apparently, there are 4 big 'dungeon' quests to go through, all in separate parts of the map that look and feel totally different. I've only done one of them and I've clocked in 25 hours +. And I could easily double that with general exploring before I even think about heading towards the 2nd dungeon, and I wouldn't be running out of things to do.

I don't know how much work the designers have put into this game but there's no wonder it's been delayed for so long. It's an absolute masterpiece. And yes, I'm rating it higher than even Skyrim.

Bloody hell.

What you actually mean is the bar has been moved up for Bethesda to surpass with Elder Scrolls Six surely...

Bloody hell.

What you actually mean is the bar has been moved up for Bethesda to surpass with Elder Scrolls Six surely...

Something like that :icon_lol:

Considering it's Nintendo's first proper foray into the open world genre, they have absolutely nailed it. I didn't think it was possible to out-do Skyrim in that genre, but there we go - it's been done. I think developers will look at this as a benchmark when creating this kind of game.

I thought it looked a bit dull personally when I watched my mate play it. Tiny Shrines that take 5 mins, lots of walking about doing not a lot. I didn't see any of the four dungeons though.

There are 120 of those shrines apparently. The dungeons are a totally different beast (literally....). The one I did was just awesome - very very clever indeed.

As for the wandering around not doing much, it's bloody massive. There is stacks to do. And that can depend on the time of day, weather conditions and so on. And it's when you're seemingly doing nothing that you can stumble upon some really awesome moments. This is probably Hereford's dream game for exploring, finding hidden places, hidden treasure, collectibles, talking to various NPCs etc etc.

The most annoying f****ing game in the world

Im going to wait till they bundle Zelda with the Switch because Im a sucker for a limited edition.

Been giving motorsport manager another go, I'm warming to it but I'm finding myself really struggling in races. Last 2 races I've been miles ahead in practise, qualified decently but then really struggled on race day, doesn't seem to matter what I try and so strategy wise either.

Back