• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

Papers Please was quite decent I thought. If a bit short.

You're basically a customs guy at an Eastern European border crossing. You have to determine whether people can come in by checking through their paperwork.

It's more interesting than it sounds! Other things happen.

I've been addicted to it. Such a mundane concept but somehow absolutely riveting to play through.

And who hasn't wanted to starve their mother-in-law to death before?

Look at the Fallout 4 videos on pcgamer.com.

This is my sort of gaming. Very exciting.

Out in November.

Papers Please was quite decent I thought. If a bit short.

You're basically a customs guy at an Eastern European border crossing. You have to determine whether people can come in by checking through their paperwork.

It's more interesting than it sounds! Other things happen.

While it doesn't exactly sound thrill-a-minute stuff it's got to be less desperate than seeking to recreate basic human contact in a dating sim.

The Telltales Game of Thrones Episode 1 is free on Xbox Live at the moment if anyone is interested.

I bought GoT over the weekend on Steam. Played an hour and requested a refund.

Not interactive enough for me and the story wasn't interesting enough. It might get better as time goes on but I really couldn't be arsed with it.

Microsoft have just announced backwards compatibility for Xbox One.

This is good news for me - though I'll never understand why they didn't have it in the first place!

Now I'll be able to finish Arkham Origins before Arkham Knight arrives.

The new Tomb Raider game looks sensational. A must buy if that footage is anything to go by.

Microsoft have just announced backwards compatibility for Xbox One.

This is good news for me - though I'll never understand why they didn't have it in the first place!

Now I'll be able to finish Arkham Origins before Arkham Knight arrives.

Long story short, the guts of the Xbox One (and PS4, for that matter) are so different from the 360 (and PS3, respectively) that they had to build an emulator from the ground up to make it work. Needless to say, this is a very time-consuming and expensive process. If either MS or Sony had waited until the emulation software was ready before releasing the One or PS4, the competitor that didn't wait would have scooped up the market.

Good news for though who game on consoles, though.

The new Tomb Raider game looks sensational. A must buy if that footage is anything to go by.

The last one was great fun, if a little bit too "shoot first, ask later" in terms of story.

Just caught up with the PS4 news from E3 and I thought both theirs and Microsoft's presentations were great - so much to look forward to on both platforms. Jealous of Uncharted 4 and the Last Guardian! But the following look extremely good:

Star Wars: Battlefront
For Honor (vikings with big fuck off axes - looks brill)
Gears of War Ultimate Edition/Gears of War 4
Halo 5
Sea of Thieves (a cartoony pirate first person type thing - reminded me of Monkey Island)
Tomb Raider

The HoloLens thing looked absolutely amazing but I'm very sceptical about that - when you look at what Kinect was supposed to do, it's not got close to living up to the potential.

Purchased so far in the Steam sale:

Bully
Slender: The Arrival
The Evil Within

Recently bought Sleeping Dogs and Euro Truck Simulator 2 but not from Steam.

Played about half an hour of The Evil Within last night. Fuck me, it's pretty damn scary!

Langers

I've just listened to a podcast which says that basically the fighting in Witcher 3 is not implemented properly and is ruining the game for them even after 5 or 6 hours.

What are your thoughts?

I've had no huge issues with the combat on Witcher 3. I have found if you get surrounded by lesser weak enemies they can kill you, especially if there are lots of them.

Every now and again Geralt refuses to get his sword out in combat, but its only happened on a couple of occasions although it has got me killed.

I'm 15+ hours in and the game is pretty engrossing with no real issues (PS4)

The Telltales Game of Thrones Episode 1 is free on Xbox Live at the moment if anyone is interested.

Played and completed episode 1 and it was much better than I thought it would be. The story is excellent and whilst it's basically choosing responses (with very, very basic, minimal QTEs sparsely thrown in) the choices you have to make actually do make a difference to the outcome.

The original characters and their back stories are well thought out, and you get to see Maergery Tyrell, Tyrion Lannister, Cersei Lannister and Ramsey Snow in the first episode. They've slotted the story in well to the TV series. I can see Bear's point about the lack of activity but I really enjoyed it. Just don't expect a hack n slash type affair. Tempted to get a season pass to play through the rest.

Langers

I've just listened to a podcast which says that basically the fighting in Witcher 3 is not implemented properly and is ruining the game for them even after 5 or 6 hours.

What are your thoughts?

Totally disagree with that TBH. I had problems having any sort of success until I reached level 6 or 7, but by then I'd left the first area (White Orchard) due to impatience and started in the second one (Velen) which has tougher bad guys - they're also 'levelled' which is shown above them. Basically it's not a good idea to pick a fight with an enemy whose level is 2 or more ahead of yours. If you've come across someone who is way tougher, a red skull appears above them which basically means 'don't even try it - run away'.

I had a lot of these to start with so I went back to White Orchard, levelled up some more, found better weapons/armour and improved my spell strength then went back to Velen where I had much more success.

Once I got used to it, the fighting is quite good. Dodging rather than rolling away is the best way to master it, as rolling away affects your stamina. I've had some excellent battles - and as Jack says, then can gang up on you. Best thing to do is lure them out one at a time and take them on individually.

It's quite a clever system - you won't fare well if you run in all guns blazing and have to adapt your style depending on your enemy. You could also chuck bombs at them if you're able to craft them.

Only issues I've found is not drawing my sword (not really going to do much damage to a werewolf with bare hands) but that is a very rare occurrence. The camera can be a bit fiddly in combat, especially in dense forests etc. But otherwise, I really like the combat.

Purchased so far in the Steam sale:

Bully
Slender: The Arrival
The Evil Within

Recently bought Sleeping Dogs and Euro Truck Simulator 2 but not from Steam.

Played about half an hour of The Evil Within last night. Fuck me, it's pretty damn scary!

Add to that Deus Ex: Human Revolution for £2.59

Tempted by Driver: San Francisco for £2.49 and The Bioshock Trilogy for £5.99

I've not even got a good PC - built it in 2009 and only really upped the RAM to 6Gb and installed a R7 260x a couple of months ago!
Kinda suits the Steam sale though as the best deals are for games that are about 4-5 years old.

Back