• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

I've had the first two for 18 months, have played about an hour of Asylum and City has sat installed on my hard drive since the day I bought it but never actually turned on. This is why I am not buying anything in this sale!

I have bad habits, when I get some spare time for gaming lately I always just put The Golf Club or F1 on. Should really tackle the backlog I have, tons of games untouched or barely played.

Easily done, ay it.

Definitely. Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls, also not given much of an airing since I bought them.

It's bad habits within games as well, bought Grid 2 a year ago and haven't played any of the single player mode since about July, Grid Autosport at Christmas, same story, hardly touched the career. I just get sucked into playing the weekly challenges and trying to get Gold across the board.

I've forbidden myself any racing games as I've hardly touched GT6 on the PS3 since I bought it 18 months ago!

I've played through a bit of Far Cry 3. Too much walking/driving about for my liking. Almost as if the maps is tooooo big. I had a similar umbrage with GTA San Andreas for the same reasons. I'll give it another go soon enough (once I've gotten bored of driving round Europe in a big red wagon!).

Looking at getting a gaming laptop as my PC is starting to show its age now. Struggling with anything more recent than 2012 (Sleeping Dogs has to run at 1280x800 on Low) and we'd like the space in the dining room back! I can always hook the laptop up to the TV once the missus is in bed/kitchen/bath. Can get an 15.6", i7-4720HQ, GTX 960M, 8gb RAM for £740 which would do me nicely...

*off to search for interest free credit card :eek:

An i7 is overkill for a gaming PC. i5 is the most you need so save the money on that and put it towards a better GFX card.

Mobile GFX cards are a fairly limited selection though. The 960m paired with a quad core i7 seems a good mix to me. Reviews of that kind of spec are impressive. More and more games are utilitsing quad core CPUs now.

Plus I can't really find a laptop with a better gpu for a lower starting price.

The i5-4310M is only £20 cheaper so I think the i7 is worth the extra. Especially with the turbo boost for dual core usage up to 3.5Ghz.

That's fair enough then. I don't know what GFX are like in laptops and if the price difference is minimal then why not.

Obviously it comes at a hefty price, but I've got a 980m in my laptop and it is a force of nature. If you can afford one it is absolutely worth every, er, pence.

You're talking an extra £500 just for that gpu, Alan. Way over what I can justify paying really.

You're talking an extra £500 just for that gpu, Alan. Way over what I can justify paying really.

That's no fair. That's cheaper than I got it for.

Nevermind, had my exchange rates screwed up. That's actually nearly double what I paid for it.

Great card but agree it's hard to cough up nearly $1000 for any one component.

£1,242 for a 15.6", i7-4720HQ, 16Gb, 980M laptop with no HDD or OS

Yeah, no, I'm with you, it's a brilliant piece of tech but not worth that price.

I don't know how much extra they charge for int'l shipping, but xoticpc has never done me wrong. Could be worth a look for you.

I'll take a look, cheers bud. It's usually no cheaper once delivery and import tax has been added though.

Function over form innit

That's a lot of money for no OS and HDD still.

Not really. You won't find a better price for that spec.

I just meant you could buy a really good spec desktop for that price with OS and an SSD included.

Back