• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

That octopus type monster that you had to cut off all the legs was a bloody nightmare.

So those of you who have played Witcher 2 - will I like Witcher 3 considering I love sandbox games and contributed an unhealthy amount to the Skyrim Thread, spending a ridiculous number of hours on it?

Dragons, monsters, dungeons, magic, swords and all that very geeky shit is very much my cup of tea.

That octopus type monster that you had to cut off all the legs was a bloody nightmare.

Certainly took me a few tries for sure. I think my biggest trouble was fighting the assassin guy for the first time. That was the point I actually turned the game down to easy because it was becoming tedious and unfun.

So those of you who have played Witcher 2 - will I like Witcher 3 considering I love sandbox games and contributed an unhealthy amount to the Skyrim Thread, spending a ridiculous number of hours on it?

Dragons, monsters, dungeons, magic, swords and all that very geeky shit is very much my cup of tea.
I don't know about Witcher 3 but I don't consider Witcher 2 to be a sandbox game at all, certainly not like Skyrim, Fallout, etc.

Dragons, monsters, dungeons, magic, swords and all that very geeky $#@! is very much my cup of tea.

There's a hell of a lot to do in TW2 but it is decidedly not a sandbox game. Instead it actually gives you reasons to care about what's happening.

Fuck, I really despise Skyrim.

Witcher 2 was a good game but not open world. Witcher 3 is supposed to be very open world and therefore a different proposition.

I would wait to see a few reviews Langers before jumping in. I'm unsure at the moment.

Witcher 2 was a good game but not open world. Witcher 3 is supposed to be very open world and therefore a different proposition.

I would wait to see a few reviews Langers before jumping in. I'm unsure at the moment.

Witcher 3 looks like the sort of game I'll love but you're right in that I'll wait for some reviews first. But that gameplay trailer left me drooling.

Alan - why do you hate Skyrim?!

It's fucking boring. I bought for $5 and I don't think it was worth that. The combat is awful and floaty, the skill system is obtuse, and after 15 hours of trying to give a shit about what was happening in the world I realized that it's the game's job to make me care, not the other way around.

I spent 15 hours in that world and it gave me absolutely no reason to give a flying fuck about anything going on in it. Is it gorgeous? Yes. Is it a technical marvel? Bugs aside, absolutely. Is it a good game? In my opinion (knowing I'm very much in the minority), no, not even close.

Apologies for the language, just when something disappoints me as much as Skyrim did it tends to elicit that sort of reaction from me.

As for TW2, if you're on PC you can pick it up for dirt cheap. Not sure about its pricing on consoles. I think it's absolutely worth even full price but I understand if my authority has just taken quite a blow!

Nah I'm on Xbox One, I'm not a PC gamer.

Each to their own re: Skyrim - I thought it was utterly outstanding personally. I did care about the storyline and the characters I interacted with.

If The Witcher 3 is the same sort of thing (interact with NPCs, killing shit and being able to get totally lost in a gorgeous, vast landscape) then I'll be delighted, even if it's just 50% as good.

You know what I think of Skyrim Alan, but each to their own. I'd never criticise anybody for not liking a game I love.

Bethesda games really float my boat. I very rarely play a game twice, but I'm playing Skyrim for the second time and enjoying it even more than the first. I've played Oblivion at least 5 times, Fallout 3 twice and Fallout New Vegas twice.

Open world games really do it for me. I don't know why I buy any other game really ( except GTA...but they are open world as well ). My only other real gaming addictions were Gothic and Gothic 2.....which I may play again someday.

I do have an aprox total of how many hours I've played Bethesda open world games but I'm too embarrassed to post it!

Absolutely, Hereford, and I hope I didn't make it sound like I thought you were stupid for liking it. I know I'm very much a minority figure when it comes to Skyrim; it just never grabbed me the way I thought it would. Hype is a deadly thing, and I suppose hearing people talk about disappearing into the game for days on end had my expectations in a place they should not have been. Who knows what I would have thought of it going into the game blindly.

I don't tend to be a fan of open world games, anyway. The appeal of just running around in Grand Theft Auto doing a whole lot of nothing just never made sense to me, even though that seems to be exactly what most people like about it.

Absolutely, Hereford, and I hope I didn't make it sound like I thought you were stupid for liking it. I know I'm very much a minority figure when it comes to Skyrim; it just never grabbed me the way I thought it would. Hype is a deadly thing, and I suppose hearing people talk about disappearing into the game for days on end had my expectations in a place they should not have been. Who knows what I would have thought of it going into the game blindly.

I don't tend to be a fan of open world games, anyway. The appeal of just running around in Grand Theft Auto doing a whole lot of nothing just never made sense to me, even though that seems to be exactly what most people like about it.

I've realised after 40 years of gaming that just wondering around another world is my relaxation and my idea of fun.
Mind you, I've played 100's of games before I came to this conclusion.
Radiation Island on my IPad is also scratching that itch.

I only play single player though. Other people are annoying!

People should play what they like...we are all different.

Just out of interest, what are your favourite games?

So you're not tempted by The Elder Scrolls Online then HW? Personally I can't wait for it.

I've realised after 40 years of gaming that just wondering around another world is my relaxation and my idea of fun.
Mind you, I've played 100's of games before I came to this conclusion.
Radiation Island on my IPad is also scratching that itch.

I only play single player though. Other people are annoying!

People should play what they like...we are all different.

Just out of interest, what are your favourite games?

Well, let's see...

I was pretty much raised on Age of Empires and AoE 2. Once they went into 3D I lost interest, though. Ditto Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2. I guess it's easiest to say that I pretty well enjoy almost anything that has a relatively defined goal to aim for. Lately I've found myself leaning more toward slower paced games. Gives me more time to think and all that.

Top games on Steam:

• Civilization 5 (I've logged over 1000 hours of this... it's a problem)
  • Dark Souls (both)
  • Metro Redux
  • Bioshock (and Infinite)
  • DiRT 3
  • Dragon Age
  • Mass Effect
  • Sonic Generations
  • X-COM
  • Dawn of War II
  • Far Cry (series)
  • Endless Legend
  • KotOR
  • etc etc

I have spent a shit load of money on gaming in my day.

[*]Civilization 5 (I've logged over 1000 hours of this... it's a problem)

Ah, so you've played what, 3 campaigns? :D

On PC, out on Xbox One in June.

Ah right I forget about the inferior console players. :whistle:

2445038-4694434071-PC_Ga.jpg

I've just started playing GTAV on PC. I'll quote my (20 year old) daughter.."OMG"
It looks like nothing I've ever seen before in games. It is almost like real footage of street views.

I don't need to buy another PC game for years. This is the real thing. Rockstar are the Bethesda of cities!

Excuse me...I have to photograph some wildlife! I love it!

I've just watched the footage of Star Wars Battlefront on the Xbox One dashboard. Holy crap, it looks slightly better than awesome

Back