• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

Bought the Vanguard Edition of Destiny earlier, £30 in Game, hard to say no really, played the beta on PS4 and it was tonnes of fun, hoping it's much of the same.

The gameplay is a little repetitive and personally the story wasn't something I could really enjoy.

Story? What story? There's no story in there at all.

Story? What story? There's no story in there at all.

Their was but it wasn't played out well.

I liked the character building and general upgrades but the game is not my cup of tea at all.

Shadow of Mordor is utterly brilliant. Perfectly paced, decent storyline, collecting things reminded me a bit of Red Dead Redemption, the fighting moves look and feel great without being too much of a button basher and there's been a lot of thought gone into the Sauron's Army rank system, level ups etc.

It's superb.

Thanks for your comments on this Langers. I really thought it was an ideal game for me....but now you have confirmed it.
I will wait until it it is on the Steam Sale next December for £9.99 though.......

Thanks for your comments on this Langers. I really thought it was an ideal game for me....but now you have confirmed it.
I will wait until it it is on the Steam Sale next December for £9.99 though.......

I've been playing it for a few days now and I love it. Probably about 12 hours of gameplay thus far. You'll like the fact there are shitloads of things to collect - plants, hunting animals, runes, ancient artifacts, loads. It's definitely not the sort of game I'd want to rush through, as going through each of the captains to wipe out Sauron's army takes time. But it's brilliant fun as well!

I bought it for my son for Xmas. And also so I can play it.

Steam Sale:-

First purchase.

Flight Simulator X £3.99

Worth the price of a couple of bottles of beer just to mess around with.

Hoping the Metro Redux titles and Shadow of Mordor come down significantly at some point. A two week sale, though... exciting!

My thoughts on a few XBox One games I've been played:

CoD: Advanced Warfare - it really does look incredible, some of the set pieces are remarkable but they REALLY REALLY need to come up with some new ideas. I don't quite understand how - after 7 years - they haven't managed to create a better single player level than 'All Ghillied Up' from CoD 4. I haven't yet got my Xbox Live Gold subscription so I've not been on multiplayer yet. It's still fun but hardly gripping and making me want to play until the early hours, which is usually the sign of a great game. This is merely 'quite good'. Because of the aesthetics.

Shadow of Mordor - already said this, but it's GREAT fun. And it DOES make me lose hours I can't afford to lose! Good story, tremendous gameplay, it's pretty much perfect in terms of difficulty (I die a lot but that's mainly due to the way I approach challenges rather than just being shit at it - and even when you die, it affects the hierarchy of the orc army) and it's a lot bigger than I originally thought, as I've just unlocked a whole new area of the map I didn't know was there.

Destiny - I like it a lot. I can see myself doing plenty of exploring with friends once I get Gold again. The gameplay is a good mixture of Halo, Mass Effect and CoD and although I'd agree the story isn't up to much, the scale is incredible and the visuals/sounds as good as I've seen on the system. Going to many different world and blasting the hell out of a large variety of alien things is fine by me. I will happily lose hours exploring and finding side quests etc. Pleased I bought it - I really enjoy the 'feel' of it, which is what I personally couldn't ever get with Battlefield or Killzone.

I've still got some credit and trade ins to use that need to be spend before Christmas Eve so I'm looking at getting Assassins Creed Unity later on, which is the latest reduced Xbox One title in Game.

Think i must have been the only person i know that didn't like 'All Ghillied Up', fucking hated that level.

I thought it was great! I loved it, it was very atmospheric, quite arty and above all something different to the 'blow tons of shit up' objectives. They've tried to replicate that level on later games but they've never managed to hit the right tone IMO.

I never been much of a fan of sneaking around in games to be honest, although that was generally my way in Skyrim, just hammering everyone with archery before they even saw me when ever i could, i just couldn't get any enjoyment out of that level though.

I never really got into Metal Gear Solid when I was younger and all my mates were obsessed with it, likewise stuff like Splinter Cell, that one really did my head in as by the time you got a decent gun you were sneaking back through the offices of people you worked for and weren't allowed to kill anyone! Perhaps it's when it's forced upon me, seems to be things like that when i've no other choice but to be sneaky and patient that i get annoyed but in more open games i do at times choose that approach anyway.

I never been much of a fan of sneaking around in games to be honest, although that was generally my way in Skyrim, just hammering everyone with archery before they even saw me when ever i could, i just couldn't get any enjoyment out of that level though.

I never really got into Metal Gear Solid when I was younger and all my mates were obsessed with it, likewise stuff like Splinter Cell, that one really did my head in as by the time you got a decent gun you were sneaking back through the offices of people you worked for and weren't allowed to kill anyone! Perhaps it's when it's forced upon me, seems to be things like that when i've no other choice but to be sneaky and patient that i get annoyed but in more open games i do at times choose that approach anyway.

I really enjoy games where you can either sneak around and be a stealthy git, OR just go in all guns blazing and chance your luck. That's why I've always enjoyed the Batman Arkham series and Assassins Creed games. Shadow of Mordor is probably the best example of that, because there really aren't that many challenges where you HAVE to use stealth - you can just go in and go crazy if need be. I think the latest Assassins Creed game is better for letting you choose your own path.

I really enjoy games where you can either sneak around and be a stealthy git, OR just go in all guns blazing and chance your luck. That's why I've always enjoyed the Batman Arkham series and Assassins Creed games. Shadow of Mordor is probably the best example of that, because there really aren't that many challenges where you HAVE to use stealth - you can just go in and go crazy if need be. I think the latest Assassins Creed game is better for letting you choose your own path.

I agree, given the choice i do tend to go a bit more sneaky/cautious i think probably because my reactions/reflexes are generally shit so if i go running in balls out then i often end up on my arse so prefer to stay back and give myself some thinking time. Just don't get the enjoyment for some reason though when i'm being forced to play that way, perhaps because the games are engineered with that in mind you don't get the same advantages to playing that way, everything is geared to that style of play so it sort of counter acts it.

Coming back round to Skyrim, whenever archery wasn't an option, if stuck in caves, buildings, ruins or whatever then i'd tend to summon as many helpers as possible and go for a mass brawl, my melee skills were 'nough gash.

More and more games have started to offer bonuses for doing things in a certain way, such as 'kill 5 guards using stealth moves' or something (AC uses the '100% Sync' bonus, Shadow of Mordor gives you extra points etc etc) and I like that. It means you don't HAVE to complete the mission in that way, but the rewards are greater if you do. For the purists, it's an extra challenge but if you're not that fussed about getting maximum scores you can do it your own way.

Managed to get an Xbox One for Tom for Christmas for £299 with Wolfenstein, Forza 5, Assassins Creed Unity, another Assassins Creed game and a downloadable fifth game... Just checked and that deal is gone now so we got in at the right time

Back