• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

£20 is too much for any PC game. Build up your library of last year's games for £4 a pop to keep you occupied until the game you want is £4.

Finished the main campaign on Shadow of Mordor last night - what a fantastic, entertaining, fun game it is. So much so that after the main campaign is over, I'm not close to putting it down as I've more weapon missions to complete, more orcs to slay/brainwash etc, more hunting to do.

Really enjoyed the campaign, and it was longer than I thought it'd be. Although I always have a bit of a wander between missions, I didn't 'do a Hereford' and spend a decade collecting stuff - still clocked in at over 22 hours of gameplay.

It's not as big as a Rockstar sandbox game, and I can't really rate it above the Batman: Arkham series as the gameplay in those games is fantastically varied, but it's still a superb title that I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone.

Finished the main campaign on Shadow of Mordor last night - what a fantastic, entertaining, fun game it is. So much so that after the main campaign is over, I'm not close to putting it down as I've more weapon missions to complete, more orcs to slay/brainwash etc, more hunting to do.

Really enjoyed the campaign, and it was longer than I thought it'd be. Although I always have a bit of a wander between missions, I didn't 'do a Hereford' and spend a decade collecting stuff - still clocked in at over 22 hours of gameplay.

It's not as big as a Rockstar sandbox game, and I can't really rate it above the Batman: Arkham series as the gameplay in those games is fantastically varied, but it's still a superb title that I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone.

Must....collect....stuff.....:icon_cool:

Seriously looking forward to playing this Langers.

Must....collect....stuff.....:icon_cool:

Seriously looking forward to playing this Langers.

I think you'll enjoy it mate - just don't expect anything of the scale of Skyrim or GTA. It's not exactly small but if I was being mega harsh, the terrain can be somewhat bleak and samey. You could certainly spend 30+ hours on it if you wanted to collect everything and I think that's a decent amount of time for a game.

Played some more of the campaign on CoD: Advanced Warfare last night.

Although it looks absolutely stunning, they've somehow managed to make your brain work even less than any other CoD game. There is pretty much zero opportunity to explore your surroundings, and the 'follow x to the next checkpoint' happens in every single mission.

That's not exactly new or surprising, but they've now tried to shoehorn in the new Exo Suits which are supposed to give you extra abilities. But what's the point in that if these extra abilities are completely scripted to the point that they're dumbed down to something not much better than a QTE?

I've often said that the campaign mode on the vast majority of CoD games just isn't worth it, but this one takes the biscuit. Great to show off the visuals which really are amazing, but in terms of gameplay - there is absolutely nothing to recommend whatsoever. It's getting worse by the year. And the plot is about as wooden as it's possible to be.

I'll be giving multiplayer a whirl at some point (my friends have said it's excellent and better than previous years) but the campaign is so linear it's laughable. I wasn't expecting something of the depth of say Red Dead Redemption, but a CoD campaign that values actual gameplay as opposed to bombastic aethetics just ain't going to happen is it?

Total War have teamed up with Games Workshop and will be releasing a game set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. Could be quite interesting.

Meanwhile, I've been having a lot of fun on THQ's Space Marine despite it being a bit too linear for my tastes.

I bought my first Speccy when I was in my late teens - it turned me into a gamer.
Typing in all those programs from Spectrum Magazines in BASIC. One mistake and it didn't work.

My friend and I even wrote a game - Crazy Golf. We had the cover professionally designed and went round all the computer shops in the West Midlands asking them to stock it.

Unfortunately it didn't turn out to be my Minecraft....:mecry:

I had a ZX81 and then got the 48K Spectrum when it came out. Horace Goes Skiing, Manic Miner, the awesomely named scramble rip off Penetrator, Sabre Wulf, Jet Set Willy, 14 minutes waiting for the Hobbit to load. Halcyon days. And then they morphed Elite over from the BBC platform and I was hooked* on that too.

*=shit at

I'll be getting one of those without a doubt.

You can play virtually all Speccy games in browser nowadays. They aren't as good as you remember.....

Nothing from the eighties hardly ever is.

Apart from Way Of The Exploding Fist. That's still awesome even now.

Total War have teamed up with Games Workshop and will be releasing a game set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. Could be quite interesting.

Already had one of those! It was called Mark of Chaos and it was actually a lot of fun.

Should've set this one in 40k IMHO. Not that Tyranids follow formations...

Already had one of those! It was called Mark of Chaos and it was actually a lot of fun.

Should've set this one in 40k IMHO. Not that Tyranids follow formations...

Well, they have units but then, we already have Dawn of War 2 for that. Are you a fan of GW's game systems Alan?

Sloely approaching completing only the 2nd ever 100% on a game with GTA5. (84% done so far, just having to do all the side crap after completing the main mission and Strangers & Freaks that I can do)

However, I think my game has got borked as I can no longer make phone calls (it rings once and then phone disappears) and some of the sound effects are not working, such as the talk when jacking a car, some gun noises, some engine noises.

Assassins Creed: Black Flag is SOOOO much fun. It's awesome when you upgrade your ship and can blast the fuck out of enemy boats.

Although I did come across THE worst plot twist EVER during the campaign last night.

Who would ever have thought that Kidd - the ONLY non-bearded pirate who had a woman's voice - was actually a woman after all? I almost fell of my chair with surprise.

I've never played any assassins creed games but they always look a lot of fun, I have a couple on steam ready to go that I'll get round to at some point

I've never played any assassins creed games but they always look a lot of fun, I have a couple on steam ready to go that I'll get round to at some point

Don't bother with the first one. The rest are ace - Black Flag is my favourite so far because they've added so many new aspects to the gameplay with the ships. I've got Unity waiting but I'm not touching that until I've finished this one.

Don't bother with the first one. The rest are ace - Black Flag is my favourite so far because they've added so many new aspects to the gameplay with the ships. I've got Unity waiting but I'm not touching that until I've finished this one.

I appear to have 2 and brotherhood. Is it just 3, black flag and unity other than that or are there more? I remember reading that they are doing one set in Victorian London which would be very cool.

Back