• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Video Games Thread II - The Resurrection

Haha!! I just got in truoble from my manager for cussing at the refs too much during the game. Damn you Kinect!

Reported fee to activate second hand games on Xbox One is £35.. Shove it up your arse MS

Annual fee?

Not sure, per game from what I could make out, shops would sell those preowned games with a maximum 10% discount, still making those prices stupidly high.

Could all be false but it's just what I've read on eurogamer.

There's no way it'd be per game. It'd completely destroy the preowned market. An annual fee would make more sense and if you play a lot of preowned games it'd be worthwhile.

Sort of a second Xbox live sub I suppose.

There's no way it'd be per game. It'd completely destroy the preowned market. An annual fee would make more sense and if you play a lot of preowned games it'd be worthwhile.

Sort of a second Xbox live sub I suppose.

I do agree, £35 per game would be insane, I do think an annual fee would be best, it's so stupid to have a fee though, MS gets a fee of the preowned game sale as well now, they're just wanting more and more money, getting too greedy now.

It's not stupid at all - though it inconveniences the consumer.

Why shouldn't they restrict second sales of their product from which they receive no cut?

Wish they didn't charge but totally understand why they're looking at it.

It's not stupid at all - though it inconveniences the consumer.

Why shouldn't they restrict second sales of their product from which they receive no cut?

Wish they didn't charge but totally understand why they're looking at it.

That's what I mean, from the consumer point of view it is stupid, we are being charged more because we can't afford/have no need for a new copy.

As a business model it is pretty genius, surprised they haven't thought about doing this sooner.

As a business model it is pretty genius, surprised they haven't thought about doing this sooner.

Sony & Nintendo will be watching this carefully and no doubt be jumping in if it works out for Microsoft

They're already been doing this on PC's for years.

£35 per game if you believe the reports:

If you want to trade in an Xbox One game you will need to find a shop that has agreed to Microsoft's terms and is therefore connected to the Xbox One cloud.

The game will be registered as traded in and will be wiped from your Xbox Live account. The shop can resell it for whatever price it likes but the game's publisher now takes a cut and so does Microsoft, a source-based MCV report revealed.

Anyone buying that second-hand game will need to pay an activation fee of £35, a separate unconfirmed report on ConsoleDeals.co.uk claimed.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-xbox-one-game-trade-ins-will-work-apparently

Ridiculous if it's confirmed.

Apparently you can play games round a friend's house as long as it's the game owner's acount you use. Phew.

£35 per game if you believe the reports:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-xbox-one-game-trade-ins-will-work-apparently

Ridiculous if it's confirmed.

Apparently you can play games round a friend's house as long as it's the game owner's acount you use. Phew.

An update for posted by eurogamer from that article now Bear, makes much better reading!

Update: You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it.

That's what a high-ranking UK industry source explained to me this afternoon.

The reason there's all this confusion is because Microsoft hasn't decided what the activation fee will be yet. The £35 figure reported in the story below sounds too high - perhaps it includes the shop's sale price as well.

My source confirmed that part of that activation fee will go to a publisher and part to Microsoft.

What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now.

My source didn't know what Sony was up to but doubts the PlayStation maker will do the same thing, not because it's angelic but because it lacks the kind of pricey infrastructure something like this requires.

Cheers mate. Still no update on what the fee is if you buy/borrow from a mate.

£19 for GTA V, Tesco currently have a £5 off £35 deal, taking it down to £35, used CCP to take it down to £19, and 5.55% cashback from TCB, lovely jubbly.

Just to change the subject a little:-

How many of you have played The Witcher 2?
It is, without doubt, the best RPG ever released. Much as I am a Skyrim, Oblivion, Dragon Age, Gothic fan, this game nails it all.

The Witcher 3, an open world game like Skyrim should be just incredible. I think its due out next year.

For any of you who haven't tried The Witcher 2 - come on....its a couple of years old and not that expensive.

I assure you that you will be knocked out. It is superb.

An update for posted by eurogamer from that article now Bear, makes much better reading!

Update: You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it.

That's what a high-ranking UK industry source explained to me this afternoon.

The reason there's all this confusion is because Microsoft hasn't decided what the activation fee will be yet. The £35 figure reported in the story below sounds too high - perhaps it includes the shop's sale price as well.

My source confirmed that part of that activation fee will go to a publisher and part to Microsoft.

What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now.

My source didn't know what Sony was up to but doubts the PlayStation maker will do the same thing, not because it's angelic but because it lacks the kind of pricey infrastructure something like this requires.

I think if Sony doesn't do what Microsoft are doing with the used games they will dominate the sales.

Also I believe that Microsoft are being a little ignorant and think people will buy the Xbox One regardless of the issues and it will fall flat on it's face and people will buy the ps4.

I think if Sony doesn't do what Microsoft are doing with the used games they will dominate the sales.

Also I believe that Microsoft are being a little ignorant and think people will buy the Xbox One regardless of the issues and it will fall flat on it's face and people will buy the ps4.

The thing is that it sounds like Microsoft have spaffed a lot of money on exclusives. And like you appear to be a Playstation 'fan' (nowt wrong with that by the way), there will be millions of Xbox 'fans' too.

It'll sell, and it'll sell well. Regardless of this preowned business. They're not that naive.

Langers knows what's up.

It's not as it the PS3 launch was without fault. Both will sell.

Back