• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

I'm never going to pay-off my student loans, so I've resorted to as many salary sacrifice schemes I can think of to lower my Student Finance England repayments as much as possible.
When I receive my Mums inheritance I have promised my daughter that I will clear her student loan.
My Mum was very financially astute so would have approved. My daughter is very grateful.

After 31 years of working in Primary education, 14 as a classroom teacher and the last 17 delivering sports coaching and general PE in primary schools, yesterday I hung up my whistle!

Obviously tinged with a little sadness, but mostly I'm just delighted to be moving out of education after so long. There are a lot of great teachers and people in schools and I will miss the people I have worked with. I won't miss the teaching though, I have definitely found it less enjoyable and much more difficult in recent years, particularly post Covid.

After 31 years of working in Primary education, 14 as a classroom teacher and the last 17 delivering sports coaching and general PE in primary schools, yesterday I hung up my whistle!

Obviously tinged with a little sadness, but mostly I'm just delighted to be moving out of education after so long. There are a lot of great teachers and people in schools and I will miss the people I have worked with. I won't miss the teaching though, I have definitely found it less enjoyable and much more difficult in recent years, particularly post Covid.
Retiring or moving on to new pastures?
Interesting that its the teaching that you won't miss, I know quite a few people in education including my eldest and they all love the teaching part but hate the rest of it. 31 years is a good stint, enjoy whatever you do next.

Interesting chat. I worked in FE for 8 years. Most wanted out by the time I left. Some would sat it was no longer teaching it was more like crowd control.
Some friends who are teachers are also keen to get out. Seems to be a temporary vocation nowadays.

Retiring or moving on to new pastures?
Interesting that its the teaching that you won't miss, I know quite a few people in education including my eldest and they all love the teaching part but hate the rest of it. 31 years is a good stint, enjoy whatever you do next.
New(ish) pastures, I'm going to be spending my time working for our game design/publishing company. I was going to make this decision sooner rather than later, but when 2 schools that I have worked in, both part of the same Education Trust, said that they weren't going to be able to renew my contracts for September I jumped at the opportunity to pack it all in!

The bureaucracy around education is horrible, but I have found less and less enjoyment in the teaching itself. There are still a lot of fantastic kids who want to learn and are keen, but more and more I'm finding larger numbers with very difficult behaviour and attitudes and at a much younger age than in the past. Maybe I'd just grown more jaded and less tolerant!

New(ish) pastures, I'm going to be spending my time working for our game design/publishing company. I was going to make this decision sooner rather than later, but when 2 schools that I have worked in, both part of the same Education Trust, said that they weren't going to be able to renew my contracts for September I jumped at the opportunity to pack it all in!

The bureaucracy around education is horrible, but I have found less and less enjoyment in the teaching itself. There are still a lot of fantastic kids who want to learn and are keen, but more and more I'm finding larger numbers with very difficult behaviour and attitudes and at a much younger age than in the past. Maybe I'd just grown more jaded and less tolerant!
Yeah I'm hearing many talking about poor behaviour getting worse. Nice that you've got something you're passionate about to go on to.

The turnover at our school for the upcoming holiday is unbelievable. People from a wide range of departments and with varying degrees of experience, all leaving due to similar reasons.

The turnover at our school for the upcoming holiday is unbelievable. People from a wide range of departments and with varying degrees of experience, all leaving due to similar reasons.
What I think has changed is how young the behaviour issues start. I have worked with every age group from pre-school to year 6. In the past 2-3 years some of the poorest behaviour and attitude has been from Year 1 and 2 classes, as well as year 6. This year I've worked with a Reception class which has been one of the hardest classes I've had to teach in 31 years. This seems to be a growing trend. I'll not miss that side of education at all. There also seems to be a growth in lack of parental support and responsibility. Although I think that has long been an issue, it definitely seems more common.

Slight downside is needing to get to the top of hills to take good photos, would be nice to have some good views which don't involve blowing out of my ass out to get there.

We had an absolutely stunning clear day today. Cloudless and about 17 or 18 degrees, which isn't bad for the altitude in mid-July. Going to pay for it tonight though. Only been dark for twenty minutes and the temperature is falling like a stone

Yes - it snows over there in the Snowy Mountains. You may have even mentioned it. It even occasionally snows where I am. I'm all wrapped up warm in the house so not a problem, and it was beautiful to look at today. I love absolutely clear skies, especially in the hills.

Yes - it snows over there in the Snowy Mountains. You may have even mentioned it. It even occasionally snows where I am. I'm all wrapped up warm in the house so not a problem, and it was beautiful to look at today. I love absolutely clear skies, especially in the hills.

Back