• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

Took the car down to Helen’s today for its first real run on the motorway. Besides two tedious 50mph stretches on the M1 (which I knew were coming) it was a glorious drive. 2.5 hours felt like 30 minutes, actually looking forward to the drive back Sunday.

I always try and avoid the M1 if possible. M40 and M42 are a much better route to the Midlands. Plus the M40 has much better and more modern service stations. Some of them on the M1 are like going back in time to the 80s they are that run down and dilapidated.

Everyone knows to avoid Watford Gap as it is shit. Newport Pagnell is sort of okay, and Toddington is alright.

I generally went M42 M40 and used Warwick services if I was heading down to see the kids. That one is fairly decent.

We never stop at the services, it’s 2.5 hours so they aren’t a concern. The 40/42 would probably be better as there are no speed cameras but most of the time there’s like five minutes difference so I go the more direct route.

Just paid off my student loans!

giphy.webp

(Dunno what paying for "higher education" is like over there but this is a very big deal for me!)

giphy.webp

(Dunno what paying for "higher education" is like over there but this is a very big deal for me!)

I'm never going to pay-off my student loans, so I've resorted to as many salary sacrifice schemes I can think of to lower my Student Finance England repayments as much as possible.

giphy.webp

I think when student loans first started here they were a decent option but its gone mad now. My 35 year old lad (he's on pretty good salary) will take quite a few years still to pay his off.

I think when student loans first started here they were a decent option but its gone mad now. My 35 year old lad (he's on pretty good salary) will take quite a few years still to pay his off.
Yeah, my loans totalled £4k, but I had a grant for my fees.

Well done and congrats BTW.
Cheers! It's weird how much I benefitted from COVID (in multiple ways); the freeze on interest accrual really helped me stay ahead of it without it ballooning out of control. Still, I won't look a 5-figure gift horse in the mouth!

Bonus points for anyone who can name the American in that gif!

Not so much your 35 year old, but the people in the new system for sure, it’s just accepted that it’s an extra 10% “graduate tax” untill you retire. You’ll likely never pay it off in full (particularly if interest rates are 8%!) and you’ll just keep getting “taxed” that extra 10% until it’s written off after 25 years or whatever it is

My eldest, he’s just turned 47, never paid his off, just got written off eventually.

Not so much your 35 year old, but the people in the new system for sure, it’s just accepted that it’s an extra 10% “graduate tax” untill you retire. You’ll likely never pay it off in full (particularly if interest rates are 8%!) and you’ll just keep getting “taxed” that extra 10% until it’s written off after 25 years or whatever it is

I did 40 hours overtime one month so basically an additional week and it was obliterated by student finance and made it barely worth it. Hence my salary sacrifice schemes.

My cycle to work or holiday buying benefits me and my charitable donations benefit the charities. Still paying the tax, but as little as possible to student finance. Makes me feel better, anyway.

Knew it would be you. Think he was putzing around Leverkusen when you lived in Germany?

Yeah, basically never playing

I remember him being decent at the 98 World Cup and they did that 90s/00s thing of signing him purely on that basis with no other scouting

Yep, he was apparently always very good for the US but couldn’t make it translate to his club ball. Ended up as a bit of a Columbus legend in a much, much poorer era of MLS.

Back