• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

Just done a public speaking thingy to over 200 people.
Was very nervous, but it went better than I thought. They even laughed at one of my jokes!

Well done - the most I've ever spoken in front of is about 100, though suspect (as you say) that increasing the number once you get past an amount you can't see all at once it probably doesn't make much difference how many there are.

Stage nerves beforehand, but once you get going it's not so bad (that assumes that you know in detail what you are talking about & have prepared - which I'm sure you did)

Same as doing interviews when being video'd, knowing that there are loads of people watching in another room - after the first minute or so you forget they are there.

It amuses me more than makes me happy but it always makes me chuckle how weird they think I am at work.

Some of the reasons they think I'm weird:

1. I have a big beard. They do not understand this. They cope with it by making muslim jokes.

2. I have weird lefty political views. They all think Cameron was a great PM and that the Tories are doing a great job. I am in a minority of one when I point out how badly they are governing the country. When I tell them I voted Green in the last election they look very confused indeed.

3. I don't think that immigrants are ruining the NHS or our country in general.

4. I wanted to stay in the EU.

5. We fed our kids by using 'baby led weaning' (basically they fed themselves with actual food rather than us spoon feeding them mush).

6. We use a wrap/sling instead of a pushchair. Apparently, they are dangerous in case we fall and hurt the child although women have managed to use slings throughout the world for hundreds of years.

7. My son has a non-traditional name. I believe their reaction was, 'hmm, that's...interesting'.

8. Both our kids had Naming Ceremonies instead of a Christening.

9. This is the biggie - we home educate our daughter. She should have started in September so when I tell them that she is being home educated you can see the confusion in their faces 'You don't send her to school? Ooh, I don't agree with that!'

I would never claim that our view of life is better or worse than theirs and maybe my wife and I are are a pair of hippy weirdo's after all, but it amuses me how weird they think we are. In fact, I might start just making up some extra weird things to tell them just to see their reaction!

Don't think I could deal with the maintenance of a big beard even if I could grow one, which I can't.

With you all the way on points 2-4.

Can't really relate to points 5-7 due to not having kids, but if I did I'd be with you on point 8, I am an atheist so why would I want a religious ceremony? That would be weird.

Don't think I could home educate kids as I don't know enough about a wide enough variety of subjects, I know what I know and that's it, plus do you not worry about your daughter missing out on mixing socially etc?

Summary: Possibly a hippy weirdo, but not for political reasons. Your colleagues sound like the kind of people I cannot deal with.

Didn't bother with christenings or naming ceremonies. Just couldn't see any point in it.

Don't think I could home educate kids as I don't know enough about a wide enough variety of subjects, I know what I know and that's it, plus do you not worry about your daughter missing out on mixing socially etc?

The social aspect of it is the only worry really but part of home educating is meeting up with a network of other home educated families and making friends that way. Plus there are lots of home education group sessions to attend such as swimming, football, pony club, forest school sessions etc. We know a few kids who have been home educated and they had a very active social life.

We're not really worried about knowing enough about subjects at this point either. She is only 4, she should be learning through creative play and we base the learning around the things that she is interested in. We have no long term plans yet we are just taking it a year at a time and we may well decide to send her to school when she is a bit older, we'll see how it goes and what she wants to do.

I think they have the right approach in countries like Finland where kids don't start school until they are 7 (they also don't do formal testing until the age of 18 and still produce excellent results unlike our horrific system of over testing our kids). Our kids have too much pressure put on them to learn Enlgish & Maths skills too young IMO:

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...y-europe-top-education-system-finland-daycare

Do you get any state support for this T-Dog?

Unfortunately not. We can only do it because my wife gave up her day job as a Social Worker last year to look after the kids. She now has a job working 4 evenings a week which means we get to pay the bills (well, most of them) and she has time at home during the day.

Feeding sardines and other goodies to the Penguins yesterday. Also their enclosure was one of the nicest i've seen. Is it possible for Penguins to look happy, well these looked happy. :)

Today is World Gratitude Day and a day to be grateful and show your appreciation to the people in your life. Whether its with words, a kind deed, flowers, chocolates, or a blow job. Entirely up to you.

So I mentioned I had an interview earlier in the week with VW, however I had another interview today for an engineer role, was expecting to hear back from them later in the week...
Just had an offer with the 2nd job wanting to start as soon as Monday! :)

So I mentioned I had an interview earlier in the week with VW, however I had another interview today for an engineer role, was expecting to hear back from them later in the week...
Just had an offer with the 2nd job wanting to start as soon as Monday! :)

Blimey UKY, in demand and spoilt for choice!

Great news and well done :)

Blimey UKY, in demand and spoilt for choice!

Great news and well done :)

Yeah, we're quite happy about it but surprised at how quickly they responded, it's a 50 minute drive, but that is nothing over here as you know! Hourly pay with lots of overtime, more balti pies for when we go back home!

Blimey - time flies

Fourth wedding anniversary today. It still feels like yesterday. The good lady Squeeze is being taken for a nice slap-up binge at House of Canton tonight. Om nom nom.

Happy Anniversary Paddy (and Squeeze) have a great day guys

Happy Fruit/Flowers anniversary!

Nice easy present there Pad for the traditional theme.

Just come home from work stinking as I have been trying to help dig out a completely blocked storm drain that is being overwhelmed by stagnant canal water. Think I had better have a bath before I take her out.

When a Friday night in, watching Free State Of Jones in ya jammies with a glass of wine,sounds and feels much more appealing than a late night out in Pitt. #showingonesagebutlovingit

The superb new wood flooring laid in my lounge today & more importantly the fact that my 2 sons made a 200 mile round trip to do the job for me.

Floor looks very good, but what was more important for me was to watch the two of them working so well as a team including 'pranking' their dad - whilst I was at the local Screwfix getting a tool we needed they managed to break the broom handle. When I came back they asked for the broom which I now find has had a 12ft long bit of copper tubing they found in the garage fixed to it - gained the nickname of 'Trigger' for the rest of the day. :D

Back