• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Things You Are HAPPY About Thread.

You've still got rogue apostrophes all over the place and everything I said about the content still holds. I'm not being nasty but that isn't up to standard at all. Also I'm no website expert but the whole look is dated, it looks like it was created in the late 90s (NB - no apostrophe).

If I were you, I would take it down and start all over again - as Machin says, you really need someone with a flair for writing to do it as well. I can't do it for you as I don't work for free.

When I'm sending back pieces after proofreading them so they can be re-drafted (and subsequently re-checked), it's common practice to include comments and annotations where the content is unclear or substandard. Obviously this hasn't happened. So, out of the goodness of my heart, here are some quick (but not comprehensive) observations. I'm not going to bother phrasing them as I would professionally, after all no-one's paying me for this:

Cannock Radio live from the heart of Cannock!

Is this a slogan? It doesn't make much sense otherwise. Change the typeface if it is. You also need some kind of break in the sentence; eg "Cannock Radio - Live from the Heart of Cannock!". Even as a slogan I'm not sure it works. Cannock isn't really big enough to have a "heart" for a kickoff. But that's your call.

Welcome to our site, we are a radio station based online and via Tune-in radio. (Coming soon)

You don't need to tell me you're a radio station, I know that. "Based online and via Tune-in radio" is inelegant at best. "An online station also available through Tune-In Radio" would work better.

We are all about bringing the family aspect and fun to radio

Ok, this is what I mean about a lot of words that don't say anything. If you can define for me what "the family aspect of radio" is then great, but as it is I don't know.

have an emphasis on great music

As opposed to rubbish music? You don't need this.

for Cannock and to the people around the world

Again, people are familiar with the concept of online radio. We know you can listen to stations from anywhere in the world. But not only is this unnecessary, obvious information, it seems muddled - is your station primarily looking for a local or a worldwide audience? Mixed message.

Our playlist contains some of the greatest hits from all over the world from the 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's.

Get rid of those apostrophes. You don't need "from all over the world".

We pride ourselves on playing some of the hits you haven't heard in years and we hope that it will bring back some memories or create some new ones.

Gramatically and everything this is ok, but it doesn't really go anywhere or tell me anything. You're meant to be drawing me in to listen to your station. This doesn't say a great deal.

We only use local presenters who you will recognise from around the town

Again this doesn't fit with your "broadcasting around the world" stuff. It also limits your audience somewhat, don't you think? I don't know many people in Cannock and I only live about eight miles away.

we are all down to earth and don't contain any ego's within our team as we are all volunteers

Rogue apostrophe in "egos". Some would say an element of ego is needed to broadcast on radio anyway? Does Chris Evans have an ego? I would say so and he's one of the most successful DJs of the last 20 years. Ditto Howard Stern. Or Chris Moyles. Or John Peel. Or Terry Wogan.

We will all try to ensure that you the listener

You don't want "try" in there, be bolder in your mission statement. You don't need "the listener" there either.

will enjoy our show's as we are all here to entertain you and bring to you what is happening around the town and locally.

Rogue apostrophe in "shows". The rest of it...again it doesn't really say much. Entertainment is a given, surely. Again you're limiting yourself with the last part - sure, the emphasis is on a local station to serve the community. Great. But realistically - how many people really care about what's happening in Cannock? Do you really have sufficient material in terms of ultra-local news, events etc to skew your content that way? And who's going to listen from outside the area if all you're telling me about is news and events in an area where I don't live or never visit?

Remember to spread the word, click our facebook like button and listen to us with the play button.

"Listen to us with the play button" needs rephrasing, far too clunky. "Facebook" and "Like" should really be capitalised in that context. Do you really want to focus on Facebook Likes anyway? I'd have thought Twitter were a more effective medium. That's up to you though.

Radio is back in Cannock!

Ok, thanks.

You see what I mean? Practically every line needs re-writing and restructuring completely and even then, what you're left with doesn't tell me any more than this is a radio station, it is in Cannock, there will be some unspecified amount of unspecified local content, you'll be playing popular music from across a 40 year span and you are on Facebook. Even as a short term placeholder it doesn't really do the job.

Seriously, I'm trying to be constructive. You can't go into this half-arsed with nothing but good intentions to back you up. It has to look and sound professional from the off. If you go away and get it rewritten properly with clear, defined statements that spell out what the station stands for, what it's going to broadcast, how it's different to what's already out there and who it's really aimed at then I *might*, at some point, be able to do a similar proofreading job for you, gratis. Note *might*, it depends on what else I have to do at any given time, so no promises.

Also I would seriously consult someone - be it on here or elsewhere - on making the site as a whole look less like it belongs in 1998. I cannot help you there as I have no knowledge beyond remembering what websites looked like in the last century.

Good man. Don't just correct it as per those notes though, use them to refer to when you (or whoever) do a complete re-write. If the re-write falls into the same traps then you'll be able to see where you're going wrong.

I would say sub-200 words is a bit of a nothing length for an opening page like that - you don't want to be boring your audience with reams of text but realistically you probably need at least double what you have there. It might be an idea to flesh out a bit what the daily schedule is likely to consist of, and certainly go into more depth about the local content you're going to be offering (if this is indeed your big selling point). Even as a "Coming Soon" page which is what it has to serve as for now - I need a reason to go and check back.

Cheers for all your help Dan I really appreciate it, I'm going to get someone to do the write up's for the about us page tomorrow morning and will try to get the main aims aired out on to the site.

I've made a lot of changes to it tonight so sorry if their is typo's but I think it is better than it was if it's been touched by my poor grammar.

Yeah for the 3rd time of trying I'll try not to clog up your thread with business.

Be happy again folks.

Congrats M8 (does it work if a 48 year old attempts text speak in order to be down with you kids ? )
Thanx! I don't actually understand much text speak anyway. I'm more of a type the whole word out kind of guy.

There is nothing better than playing against your bogey team, a team who show you no respect, use ungentlemany conduct during matches, use intimidation as a means to try to put you off and beating them!
Semi-Final of the Pool League Team Knockout tonight and a 5-3 win puts us in to next weeks final! HAVE IT!

That's awesome LJ very jealous!

I did get a little packet from my sister today with some prawn cocktail crisps, McCoys and Wagon Wheels! :)

I did get a little packet from my sister today with some prawn cocktail crisps, McCoys and Wagon Wheels! :)

I've ordered some Walkers Tomato Ketchup crisps, should be here by Saturday . Happy days :)

Sent a cover letter and CV off to Saints Foundation this morning, after going to a presentation yesterday, and have been invited in for an interview at St. Mary's next Wednesday. Only small stuff working in schools and community sessions but it would be a great start if I could get some work with them.

Good luck YW. With you experience you should walk it.

In only 2 months and 6 days I will be in UK :)

When your kitchen smells like how you imagine Delia Smith's to smell like :)

Cooking with me fav tunes on :)

Back