• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The things that I really, really like thread...

And cunning ;) oh hang on looks like I'm calling you something else here,I'll get my coat

Those looking to start from scratch, Duolingo is actually really good. It's not going to make you fluent inside days but the methods are good and the way it teaches is decent, they include grammar work (which is dull unless you're a language nerd like me, but absolutely fundamental) as well as vocab. Free as well.

Those looking to start from scratch, Duolingo is actually really good. It's not going to make you fluent inside days but the methods are good and the way it teaches is decent, they include grammar work (which is dull unless you're a language nerd like me, but absolutely fundamental) as well as vocab. Free as well.
Thanks, that's really useful. Thinking I'm going to have to learn Dutch as I'm fed up with missing half of everything my colleagues say. Sounds like a really weird language though.

Thanks, that's really useful. Thinking I'm going to have to learn Dutch as I'm fed up with missing half of everything my colleagues say. Sounds like a really weird language though.

I can read Dutch ok because of the other languages I speak, same as Danish. Couldn't hold a conversation in it but then I've never bothered learning either.

I think once you get used to the pronunciation of certain constructions you'd be ok, it sounds weirder than it is.

I can read Dutch ok because of the other languages I speak, same as Danish. Couldn't hold a conversation in it but then I've never bothered learning either.

I think once you get used to the pronunciation of certain constructions you'd be ok, it sounds weirder than it is.
Yeah, I'm not too bad at reading it now - get used to it after so many emails in Dutch. It's just it sounds very weird and very different to how it's written for the few words I know. Suppose English is just as bad, if not worse, in that respect so can't really comment.

English is a bloody nightmare to teach as there are no rules.

Not sure on Dutch but at least with German and French (to a point with the latter) there is an actual structure that is mostly followed.

English must be a bastard to learn. There seem to be no rules like there are with other languages. So much irregular stuff going on. Glad I was born into it!

Having taught English for a year, your most commonly used phrase will always be "because it just is, ok".

Yeah, I used to teach TEFL occasionally when I lived abroad for a bit of extra cash in school holidays. Mainly involved saying 'that's just how it is'.

Basically, we speak a language that makes no sense, at least from a linguist's point of view.

Same as our politics really. It's all cobbled together with no actual formal structure. How many other developed democracies do you know that don't have a proper constitution?

Couple of times I've tried a language,I've got bogged down in grammar,and that puts me off,would just learning vocabulary help?
I tried learning Welsh when I lived there,got as far as grammar again and gave up,but found out that just being there helped loads and ended up being able to do the bus tickets in Welsh, costs and all that, even ended up being able to chat real basic chats with passengers. I can do very basic Czech as well through being in Prague a few months, mmm perhaps I need to move to Russia/Belarus or Ukraine, or just get on t'internet and get on the Russian dating sites(they all want to move here though,I'd be wanted to move the other direction)

You've got to have grammar in there somewhere, without it it's like building a house without foundations.

Duolingo doesn't bombard you with it but some of the exercises will subtly nudge you in the direction of learning it by osmosis. Even as an old bugger who is sceptical about people learning languages by non-conventional methods, I am impressed with it. It's not the answer if you want formal qualifications but it's a bloody good starting point.

Like I say though, I'm a linguistic nerd. I used to be able to write properly in phonetics. Can't do it now like. I regularly used to read Hammer's German Grammar (the Bible for German structure, sadly not written by MC Hammer) just for relaxation. A boy's got to have some kind of a break from a hedonistic lifestyle.

SilverMiserableAztecant-size_restricted.gif

Cool,I'll look into it,thanks for that,always good to get a knowledgable view on stuff,I never used my TEFL qualification,which I did thinking it would come in handy to earn cash on one of my bike rides,places I was aiming for,being an English speaker would probably have been enough tbh

Teaching is difficult, I don't really have the mindset for it. The knowledge is fine (well, I hope so) and I'm ok at explaining things, but I can't deal with people dicking about. It's not for everyone.

I don't currently use my languages for anything, I just keep on top of it so I don't lapse and also it helps me keep mentally sharp. Not a great deal to it, just read the papers most days, occasionally I'll look at one of my work documents and translate it just for myself to prove I can, keeps the mind active.

The only thing I'd say with Duolingo is that it does pitch you at a very low level to start with. And when I did the Italian course, because I speak French and German, and studied Latin, I didn't really have to try very hard for the first few stages. And I like a challenge, not an easy win.

Don't copy me though, I'm no role model :D

If it helps I like the instant language series that give you the basics in a few weeks. Grammatically its not perfect but you can make yourself understood. When I had au pairs I studied spanish and a bit of Italian. That was 20 years ago so rusty doesn't cover it!
Instant Spanish and instant Italian were perfect short courses to get your confidence up cheaply. Its the 80/20 rule. You get 80% there for 20% of the cost and time

10-15 years ago there used to be some proper fraudulent shit knocking around. Listen to these tapes and you'll be fluent in six weeks, that kind of thing. Tae fuck. Might as well stick some magic beans in the box.

All depends what you want out of a language. Be able to conduct a conversation, get by on a holiday, get a qualification, use it for business, become a genuine expert, it's a huge range.

I'm looking at just a conversational level,for the countries I'm interested in and like visiting(think Soviet Union)Russian seems to cover most of them,especially in the middle of nowhere and it's an elderly lady behind the counter,younger people tend towards speaking English

Back