• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The things that I really, really like thread...

Then Duolingo will probably do you for that kind of level.

Thankfully it doesn't just teach you stock phrases because what bloody good is that when someone asks you a question...

Languages are just memory tricks and logic puzzles for the most part. And it helps if you're a good mimic. It's not that impressive, seriously.

My first ever Wolves Season Ticket has arrived. I'm over the bloody moon :)

Played a bowls match last night against a team who are mainly, frankly a bunch of cunts. They have a faux swagger, and a sense of self importance. Think they're a lot better than they are.
They won the match quite easily. I was one of the last on. I played their captain. He'd been around the green earlier, swearing a hell of a lot (I wondered if he was related to paddy...) and generally being annoying. I appreciate that in most sports there will be forms of banter, bordering on sledging, but this team were simply unpleasant.
Anyway, went on the green. Initially he started well, but I got the jack and went on a mark I know and like. He was getting wound up, swearing more and more. I knew that he'd effectively beat himself if I could hold onto the jack.
He got worse as the game went on. He did get the jack back and changed the mark, and when he started winning, the comments that he was shit etc stopped. we went from me being 14-6 up, to him being 16-14 up. It was then nip and tuck for a bit, but I got the jack back and went on my mark again.
He clearly didn't like it and started making snide comments. I made sure throughout the game I remained chirpy. I smiled, whistled, and was exceptionally pleasant and polite. He became more and more curt, and as the game progressed, became more snide. He also tried a few mind games, like suggesting the piece I was playing was easy. I pointed out if it was easy he';d have found it a lot easier to take the jack off me.

TL,DR, I beat the sour faced fuck, and felt really really fucking good about it.

Played a bowls match last night against a team who are mainly, frankly a bunch of cunts. They have a faux swagger, and a sense of self importance.

TL,DR, I beat the sour faced fuck, and felt really really fucking good about it.

bowling-green-1.jpg

Not a housecoat in sight and look at the state of them.

is David Bryant still going ? That is my entire knowledge of bowls by the way :)

Played a bowls match last night against a team who are mainly, frankly a bunch of cunts. They have a faux swagger, and a sense of self importance. Think they're a lot better than they are.
They won the match quite easily. I was one of the last on. I played their captain. He'd been around the green earlier, swearing a hell of a lot (I wondered if he was related to paddy...) and generally being annoying. I appreciate that in most sports there will be forms of banter, bordering on sledging, but this team were simply unpleasant.
Anyway, went on the green. Initially he started well, but I got the jack and went on a mark I know and like. He was getting wound up, swearing more and more. I knew that he'd effectively beat himself if I could hold onto the jack.
He got worse as the game went on. He did get the jack back and changed the mark, and when he started winning, the comments that he was shit etc stopped. we went from me being 14-6 up, to him being 16-14 up. It was then nip and tuck for a bit, but I got the jack back and went on my mark again.
He clearly didn't like it and started making snide comments. I made sure throughout the game I remained chirpy. I smiled, whistled, and was exceptionally pleasant and polite. He became more and more curt, and as the game progressed, became more snide. He also tried a few mind games, like suggesting the piece I was playing was easy. I pointed out if it was easy he';d have found it a lot easier to take the jack off me.

Did you take him into the car park for a good shoeing once the result was confirmed?

I say we should have a bowls thread that I can ignore...

Not a housecoat in sight and look at the state of them.
Bet they all pop their housecoats on after the game, when having a cuppa!

Not even crown green, fucking amateurs.
I play crown green - proper game

is David Bryant still going ? That is my entire knowledge of bowls by the way :)
You mean you've forgotten Tony Allcock?

Did you take him into the car park for a good shoeing once the result was confirmed?
I wish, but I'm not a fighting person. Although at one stage he did become so aggressive I wondered if he intended giving me a kick!

I say we should have a bowls thread that I can ignore...
TBH there'd only be me and parkin on there. That said, if langers can have his dr who thread, we might want ours.

Flat Green is a more polite scenario - anyone acting like that would have been ordered off the green & the match awarded to the opponent. Then again had to intervene between the team skip & no 3 (was playing in a four's league game) a couple of weeks back to stop them coming to blows - & we were (supposedly) all on the same team :referee:

Irrelevant fact - David Bryant was the Guest of Honour when we opened the new clubhouse in 2002

TBH there'd only be me and parkin on there. That said, if langers can have his dr who thread, we might want ours.

Always good to talk to you Warren

I played indoor as a kid. The game played on a much smaller length rink which was a mat only about 6 feet wide and with a block in the middle to prevent firing. I was pretty decent at about 16. One kid who came along in our village and I owned him pretty much every game ended up being an England international.

It's probably very niche. I was also really good at Aunt Sally. Really good for Faringdon way. I would have been considered a beginner by the standards of those from Abingdon, but they sleep with their sticks, the bloody weirdos.

I played indoor as a kid. The game played on a much smaller length rink which was a mat only about 6 feet wide and with a block in the middle to prevent firing. I was pretty decent at about 16. One kid who came along in our village and I owned him pretty much every game ended up being an England international.

Short mat bowls - play that during the winter season - very different set of skills needed.

Can still fire, but need to flirt with the edge of the block to do that.

Back