• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The things that I really, really like thread...

I have been retired almost two years, and i have more work now than i did for the previous five years, great, except for the fact that temperatures of 40c and over, have no respect for senior citizens.

It'll be flipping 80 by the time I get there.

When your husband is retired and everyday feels like a weekend, some days you even forget what day it actually is and only remember because people have their bins out, or you hear the kids playing in school so you know it's a school day. I'd recommended retirement to anybody. It's ace :)

I've now just finished my fourth month of retirement. PPB is right - it is fantastic.
Everyday is a joy. I'd advise anybody who is in a position to retire to just do it - time is much more important than money.

I take it you aren't yet in your 60's then, in that case ermm, sorry. But just think what you have to look forward to in years to come :)

I'm a sprightly 39 so plenty of work left yet. Glad to hear you (and others) are enjoying retirement, as HW says it's not all about money. Time is something you can never get back, make sure you enjoy yourselves along the way

Its Saturday in case you didnt know so if you dont mind could you limit your trips out to only essential ones to allow the rest of us a day of enjoyment!!!

I'm a sprightly 39 so plenty of work left yet. Glad to hear you (and others) are enjoying retirement, as HW says it's not all about money. Time is something you can never get back, make sure you enjoy yourselves along the way

Its Saturday in case you didnt know so if you dont mind could you limit your trips out to only essential ones to allow the rest of us a day of enjoyment!!!

Been to Bridgemere Garden Center, onto the pub for lunch, then back to watch the cycling. And I know its Saturday, it says so on the newspaper :)

I want to retire early, that's why I save a lot into a pension. As my work matches my contribution of 8%each month too, it's basically free money.
I want to retire around 55.

I've been saving quite a bit more than 16% for well over 10 years. Still no chance of me being able to retire at 55 if relying on the pension alone.

I've never had a pension apart from the government one for the past few years. I'll be working until I'm about 80!

Re-stringed my acoustic the other day, let the strings settle for a few days and now belting out all the old classics, 'Moving' and 'Late in the day' by Supergrass, 'Ramble on' - Led Zep, ' Interstate Love Song' by STP etc...guitar is singing. got a few cold glasses of wine on the go too....perfect, just love these warm evenings wit no work and just wine and music.

I really need to pick my guitars up again - it's been too long.

Anyway my happy thing will bore the fuck out of you. I am 47 years old, and I haven't studied anything (bar chess) for well over two decades now. I have made a decision to change that. I got a B at Ancient Greek GCSE at school and it really annoyed me that I didn't get an A. So I have decided to revisit and re-teach myself the language from books and self-study with the aim to read Herodotus, Homer, Thucydides and the others in the original language. First chunk of books arrived a few weeks ago and I am making some decent progress. I am quietly impressed how much of it is stuff that I remember which is a pleasant surprise. Like I said - boring to most, but for me it is like an Everest I want to climb. If I am successful, the next stop will be Latin that I was rubbish at and only got a C.

Impressive, that's no mean feat.

I have no mind for language but enjoy reading and have a love of learning, would like to do some studying for my own interest again. Revisit my philosophy and history a levels would be nice, maybe when the kids are a bit older

You Jacob Rees mogg in disguise? Lol, good on you,I'm impressed that doesn't look like the easiest choice but it's always better if you go with something that interests you.
I really fancy having a go at Russian,I get fours hours a day between school runs,perhaps I ought to do something productive

History A level was the only exam I ever failed. Useless teaching obviously...well a bit of that, and a lot of wow - what is this amazing place called the pub where they serve beer.

A huge regret of mine actually - with my interest in classics I absolutely should have done Ancient History. Ah well.

You Jacob Rees mogg in disguise? Lol, good on you,I'm impressed that doesn't look like the easiest choice but it's always better if you go with something that interests you.
I really fancy having a go at Russian,I get fours hours a day between school runs,perhaps I ought to do something productive

Russian is a fascinating language. If I learned that, I could get all the old chess texts in the original language and kill two birds with one stone. Hmmm - that gets me thinking. But Greek is enough for now I think!

Linguists are fucking cool, I'm telling you.

I did once try having a look at Sanskrit back in the day. I think I would have been 16 or 17.

My sweet Lord. Difficult doesn't even begin to cover it.

Back