• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The things that I really, really like thread...

When things come together thanks to good planning :)

Me husband's big toe :)

When you are tempted to go to a Nudist Camp, just for the sheer fun of it :)

My sister and family efforts in their fund raising for Compton Hospice :)

today was a conference at work, on mental health strategies. had been instructed to go (though would've anyway, as it's essential training). surprised to see almost 100 attendees.

the organisers had included some student volunteers, and whilst registering I saw someone i'd supported. at the time they were really low. it wasn't an average day of work when I met them, but a pretty serious intervention. took half a day (then all the follow up work). it was an intense experience. positively, they looked well today. I made a note to speak with them in a coffee break.

turns out my student had been asked to give a presentation to the event, disclosing their experience of accepting/realising they had a health issue, and the trials of getting a diagnosis and the immense difficulties accessing support services. it was a tough listen, and the student was very open.

unbeknown to me at the time we met they'd recently made an attempt. our meeting was described as possibly the most significant experience they'd had. as a result, a lot of support is now in place, and the student now has an understanding of numerous aspects of their character and behaviour. I'd had a family member experience something similar to their situation, and we spoke about the challenges and difficulties they were having (and would have), but also spoke about how things can be better, and will be better. the student said in their talk this discussion remains with them to this day.

it was a pretty overwhelming experience. I was sat at the back of the hall, and thankfully wasn't mentioned by name.

we spoke in the interval. it was so heartening to learn of the progress made, the improvement in them, their smile! I'd never seen them smile so much. the improvement they've undergone is phenomenal.

I felt critiqued somewhat by some colleagues about what I did with this student. I made a call at the time that it was a crisis situation. I also possibly ruffled some feathers by questioning a lack of support available.
but it was fucking worth it. I am so pleased that the student has been able to improve themselves, and develop their wellbeing so much.

Picking up my guitars after a hiatus of probably several months. Just haven't had the opportunities recently. I now have ringing ears, seriously painful claw fingers from not warming up properly, and I don't care! I loved it!!

I need to get back on mine, two are still at me dad's. Elbow won't let me play properly at the moment though so it doesn't really matter.

last month of the bowls season. Got ourselves into a position where it is in our own hands to win the title.
This months gonna be fucking tense. But fun!

Working location for today. Might run out on the pitch and spanner a penalty over the bar for old times sake.
760258ba42b5f380797751c9a27df04c.jpg

Guy just got on the tube with his own stool
a1408f03b3b66f945f7c1b84f170d01e.jpg

7 points clear a the top of the table.
3 games to go. All at home.
Have 2nd and third both coming to our green.
Squeaky bum time as someone said, but we've the points on the board, and it is in our own hands. Win friday against 2nd and we're pretty much there...

Was driving to pick up my nephew saturday.
Approached an island in bloxwich. 2 young lads were waiting to cross the road.
I stopped to let them cross. Both smiled at me and waved in thanks.
Almost all I hear about kids is negative these days, was really heartening to see that these 2 lads were pleasant with manners, and appreciated my waiting/patience, and challenged that stereotype.

Getting an unsolicited positive acknowledgement of your (later) working life. I act as the volunteer Treasurer of a local charity which has a shop dealing with aids & advice for the disabled/elderly & their carers.

The Head Teacher of the last school I worked at came in as she is shortly having a hip replacement to buy items that would help after the operation. We had a chat and she mentioned that she would have wished that I had stayed on for another year as she had a ‘medical issue’ & was absent for 5 months.

The school brought in a temporary head who was a Deputy Head elsewhere locally who decided that this lady (who was a very good Headteacher) wasn’t likely to be able to return & started to put in long term changes (helped by my successor) which alienated a lot of parent’s & caused a 20% drop in the school population.

Doubt that I would have been as accommodating is I didn’t need the job from a financial viewpoint anyway, plus I have worked with people a lot scarier & influential over the years. The Head said that she had a difficult time when she did return trying to restore order & sense – the person who succeeded me left very soon after.

Weeding. One of the few things I can do without my brain being in overdrive.

I was a little short on funds so went to the bank for my first overdraft in about 20 years...I so I thought. Turns out I've had an overdraft all along. WHO KNEW?!?!? Not me, obvs.

Just walking through town and for the first time ever saw someone approach one of those Jehovahs Witness couples. They looked ecstatic that they’d been called into action.

I've never had a problem with them. Always well turned out and terribly polite.

I've never had a problem with them. Always well turned out and terribly polite.
I’ve never heard anyone say “I tell you what, those Jehovah Witnesses’s who stand round in town don’t half cause me some problems”

Back