• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat surprised that we are just about discussing the likelihood of buying players from a top 4 team this early - whilst we want to bring in quality wherever possible the most important thing for me is that whoever is brought in buys into the team & the project to propel us to the top.

We will still need a fair number of those who have done us proud this season to be a part of the next step (though not all will be able to make the step up) - top half of the table is eminently doable (higher than that is possible, though statistically unlikely).

Whatever - have more faith that we will make a real go of it this time around

Not really up for picking at the corpses of relegated teams but I've been impressed by Moritz Bauer since he joined Stoke. Played RB and RM for them so should be a good fit for our system to compete with/replace Doherty (who was excellent yesterday, and has broadly speaking been very good ever since our mid-season trip to Spain).

When Stoke played Arsenal he just reminded me of Dave Edwards in the 10 role. Ran around a lot but did nothing

Mourinho is past it..struggling for creativity for years now

Glad to hear Boly being wrapped up.

Not sure about Afobe.

Afobe I wouldn't bother with. Boly at that price is insane. Bite their hands off.

If we do sign Afobe he’ll be playing second fiddle to someone else. I think he’ll be fine as backup and an option off the bench.

I can only think Nuno thinks he can improve Afobe's game somehow like he has done with others. Maybe he can, who knows? I'm not sold on it being a good idea to sign him myself, but they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...nd-20m-sign-willy-boly-benik-afobe-long-term/

£10m for Boly would be daylight robbery! Him and Jota being sorted early is excellent news. Benik I'm not so fussed about but if Nuno thinks he will have value in the Premier League I trust him.
Seems like a bit of guesswork if you ask me.

We already know we have deals in place for all our loan players. The Benik interview is the one he gave to Sky after yesterday’s match & Fosun have already said if we are promoted they’re taking the squad to China.

No ‘new’ news there & the writer appears to be hedging his bets that we’ll sign Afobe (Boly is more obvious) rather than actually being in the know.

I don’t mind signing Benik - he’s a good backup striker in the prem and you’d think can still improve. I’d like us to sign vinagre too please...

Benik's goals/minute ratio since we got him is pretty decent tbf.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Boly for £10m is a robbery :) Quality player

Can see us signing him but he hasn't really done enough for me. Still doesn't seem comfortable in this formation and his first touch is always going to be an issue.

In regards to his goals, whilst he has 5 which is a decent return, it is only the Burton game where his goals have affected the result. The others were the third in a 3-0 win at Leeds, the second in a 3-0 over Reading and the second yesterday, very Lukaku of him.

Can see us signing him but he hasn't really done enough for me. Still doesn't seem comfortable in this formation and his first touch is always going to be an issue.

In regards to his goals, whilst he has 5 which is a decent return, it is only the Burton game where his goals have affected the result. The others were the third in a 3-0 win at Leeds, the second in a 3-0 over Reading and the second yesterday, very Lukaku of him.

Five goals is only a small sample thought, Trips. And you have to take out Sunday when he came on as a sub. I wouldn't sign him myself, simply because I think he's one of theose strikers who will score plenty in the Champ but struggle in the Prem. There have been several down the years and I feel Afobe is another one.

For me, we really need to sign some pace in the summer. That's the one thing we're lacking: you can get away with it in the Championship, but not in the Prem

My issue with signing Afobe is two fold, firstly his first touch lets him down too often to play the link man role that our current formation requires therefore I can't see him ever being first choice. Secondly, we aren't at the stage yet to knowingly pay £10m+ for a back up player.

Boly for £10m is a robbery :) Quality player

Unbelievable !

As for the rest I'm torn 50/50 re Afobe but I'd be OK with him as the back-up striker.

For me the key upgrades will be 2 wing backs, a RH centre back and a striker (with Afobe as the 2nd back-up). The reality is we'll be under far more pressure next season and I don't think our current wing backs are that strong defensively, and of course we had no real back-up for Doherty all-season.

What will happen is the the new players will have to fit in with the new ethos of the club - young, talented, ambitious and an ability to fit-in with Nuno's plans. Plus no d!ckheads ! I believe the current dressing room is a real strength of the team.

Odds on Wilshere cut to 4/1 in some places now. Won’t happen but I bet it’s pissing a few people off reading it.

jackson Martinez? A bit left field I know but currently a free agent. Great record with Porto. To me a decent off the bench poacher if you need a goal. Perhaps a year too late as he is 31 now- recovered from a long term injury but contract not renewed. Maybe worth a pay as you play punt? Would save 10m for Afobe if thats an issue ( I dont think it is myself)

Besides- he always scored goals for me in my PES 2016 game lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back