• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Nash
‏ @TimNash_1

@Wolves are still hoping to make three signings before the Aug 9 deadline - a centre back, a striker and a right wing back, I'm told. Marcos Rojo, the @ManUtd defender @Wolves denied interest in, looks like he's on his way to first-day Molineux visitors @Everton for £30m.

In Nashy we trust. If we are after a RWB then that confirms Jonny is the LWB with Vinagre as his back up.

Alan loves this.

Very harsh to judge Jonny on one appearance in pre-season, but he doesn't seem to have anywhere near the kind of left foot and delivery we have been treated to by Barry Douglas last season. I guess it ultimately comes down to where Nuno feels we need to strengthen. Clearly he feels we will be under more pressure defensively this season (I think we all know that), so he's bought in a player who's strongest trait is his defending, and he's let a player go who's strongest trait was his set piece delivery. Nuno is obviously happy with the likes of Neves & Moutinho taking our corners & free kicks and has decided to make the sacrifice with Douglas to make us harder to beat. Only time will tell whether this proves to be the correct decision but he has earned our trust.

It's impossible to know where we stand in terms of our list of targets - because none of us know who we were/were not genuinely interested in. But I think it's safe to say we've perhaps found it a little harder to attract the level of player we wanted/expected.

Or he did fall out with Nuno...

Ending up lower mid table will increase the risk of losing our best players next season. we really need to show that we're there to challenge for european football the following season.

True, I was more saying there’s no need to panic about signings at the moment as I think we’ll do fine at worst anyway. Not that I don’t want another wing back in at the very least. Tbh even if we finished top 4 our best players would have their heads turned by the likes of city and Utd - just look at Leicester losing Kante and Mahrez wanting to leave for over a year before he did

Baz didn't offer a huge amount from open play, certainly after October/November. He wasn't slinging in crosses from that side so that's not an aspect of his play that we'll miss.

The reaction to what was essentially one spannered cross from Jonny in a pre-season friendly has been crazy. Totally written off as an option on that side! The same people were presumably ok with Doherty's 85 shin botherers from the right in the same game which ended loads of our attacks.

I'm not interested if our right footed lwb can whip a cross in.
The biggest issue with Right footer playing Lb/LWB is the ability to tackle with your weaker foot, how many times do you see guys try and tackle facing their own goal on there left with there right foot? invariably it leads to him being skinned, or giving a free kick away, wither way we are defending a cross / Danger

The rumour is the biggest load of bollocks ever for millions of reasons. Not even worth discussing them

you have heard the same rumour I heard about him being late for a game.....?
Don't believe it at all

If Barry and Nuno fell out then it's probably more likely that Douglas was told he was no longer first choice. I can't imagine Nuno has sold the player that was joint top of the assist charts in the Championship last season because he turned up late. He's got a newborn baby at home and whether you're a professional footballer or a factory worker, that takes it's toll on all of us.

I don't believe the rumours of a falling out at all but it wouldn't surprise me if Bazza wasn't best pleased when he caught wind that we were signing someone to replace him after everything he did last season.

I don't believe the rumours of a falling out at all but it wouldn't surprise me if Bazza wasn't best pleased when he caught wind that we were signing someone to replace him after everything he did last season.

1) Seems to be everytime a player we sell or don't pick he has had a fall out with the manager. Its the go to "reason"
2) I'm sure Barry is big enough and ugly enough to understand how football works - A player is always under threat from the club buying a replacement for them (Doc excluded obvs). He even said on the day we won promotion that he was looking forward to the Prem "if the club want me".

The biggest issue with Right footer playing Lb/LWB is the ability to tackle with your weaker foot, how many times do you see guys try and tackle facing their own goal on there left with there right foot? invariably it leads to him being skinned, or giving a free kick away, wither way we are defending a cross / Danger

He seems to have managed ok in La Liga, recognised for his defending at left back, and signed by Atletico Madrid as a result....

He seems to have managed ok in La Liga, recognised for his defending at left back, and signed by Atletico Madrid as a result....

and have I said he cannot, is shite or complained about his performance?
I said being able to cross is not the most important asset to a LWB

not too concerned with a guy whos just arrived with little time with his new team mates, virtually no training and plays in a friendly. i'm more concerned that the rwb problem has not still be addressed.

and have I said he cannot, is $#@!e or complained about his performance?
I said being able to cross is not the most important asset to a LWB

Well yes actually - surely this is saying right footed players struggle defend at left back?

Quote Originally Posted by GLASGOWOLF View Post

Well yes actually - surely this is saying right footed players struggle defend at left back?

Quote Originally Posted by GLASGOWOLF View Post

No I said it happens a lot which it does, not every right footed player cannot tackle with his left, just like every Left footed player cannot tackle with his right some can some cannot.

I have not seen Jonny play yet so will not comment on him either way

Last edited:
S01E02-Z8FVe69n-subtitled.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back