• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm slightly surprised at Hause being loaned out. I honestly think he's good enough as is.

I suppose if Boly strongly favours that side then he's not going to break into the team, but then surely he stays as injury back up or leaves permanently? I'm not sure a loan will necessarily help him that much.

This is my number 1 unpopular Wolves opinion, but here goes:

Hause is vastly overrated by our fan base. He may have ‘potential’, but at one point should he stop consistently playing like a bomb scare?

I think he is one of those players whose reputation improves simply out of not playing.

Hause is vastly overrated by our fan base. He may have ‘potential’, but at one point should he stop consistently playing like a bomb scare?

I think he is one of those players whose reputation improves simply out of not playing.

I think bomb scare is harsh and he hasn't really had chance to shine due to the excellent Boly. Having said that if a Nuno does favour a left footer at RCB (I don't think he does) then why hasn't Hause been given a go.

I think he needs to leave for his own career progression as he's not getting much, if any, at Wolves.

When he's come in he's had some good games and also some indifferent ones. It's a difficult one because if Boly were to pick up a serious injury the position would be his to claim, but equally he could go another season with just cup appearances. As a fan I'd prefer he stayed to give us the backup I think we need, but if I were him I'd be pushing hard for a move at least on loan.

The only time i would say Hause has been a bomb scare was the few games where Zenga put him and Iorfa together in the middle of defence and I think I remember one shocker of a performance from him at Molineux (possibly v Sheff Wed) but those few games apart, he has looked solid and didn't lookout of place when dropped into the Man City game last season, despite hardly kicking a ball for months

Tim Nash
‏ @TimNash_1

@Wolves are still hoping to make three signings before the Aug 9 deadline - a centre back, a striker and a right wing back, I'm told. Marcos Rojo, the @ManUtd defender @Wolves denied interest in, looks like he's on his way to first-day Molineux visitors @Everton for £30m.

In Nashy we trust. If we are after a RWB then that confirms Jonny is the LWB with Vinagre as his back up.

Having a genuine LB at LB was too good be true. At least we got one for a season!

Saying that, we have no idea if Nash is chatting shit or not.

Bit of a concern that, was hoping for a left footer to retain the balance and width as we attack.

Very harsh to judge Jonny on one appearance in pre-season, but he doesn't seem to have anywhere near the kind of left foot and delivery we have been treated to by Barry Douglas last season. I guess it ultimately comes down to where Nuno feels we need to strengthen. Clearly he feels we will be under more pressure defensively this season (I think we all know that), so he's bought in a player who's strongest trait is his defending, and he's let a player go who's strongest trait was his set piece delivery. Nuno is obviously happy with the likes of Neves & Moutinho taking our corners & free kicks and has decided to make the sacrifice with Douglas to make us harder to beat. Only time will tell whether this proves to be the correct decision but he has earned our trust.

It's impossible to know where we stand in terms of our list of targets - because none of us know who we were/were not genuinely interested in. But I think it's safe to say we've perhaps found it a little harder to attract the level of player we wanted/expected.

I dunno, we've made some pretty good signings so far. Patricio and Moutinho are a higher calibre than I thought we would sign, in addition to Raul, Jonny, Boly, Jota and Vinagre even if we had the latter three on loan, we all know what they can achieve for us.

There's still over a week left and it's been a slow moving market so far really, the next week or so will be very busy for a lot of clubs.

Baz didn't offer a huge amount from open play, certainly after October/November. He wasn't slinging in crosses from that side so that's not an aspect of his play that we'll miss.

The reaction to what was essentially one spannered cross from Jonny in a pre-season friendly has been crazy. Totally written off as an option on that side! The same people were presumably ok with Doherty's 85 shin botherers from the right in the same game which ended loads of our attacks.

Shin botherers :icon_lol:

Surprises me that when people spent the World Cup digging out Ashley Young for being a right footed lwb, whose first movement is to check inside onto his right foot, that they don't have an issue when Wolves have one that does the same thing. Jonny should be Doherty's replacement and we sign a lwb or trust Vinagre

Well, if Nash is right then we're looking to target the areas which I'm particularly worried about, which is always nice.

I'm guessing the Zinchenko move is dead?

Surprises me that when people spent the World Cup digging out Ashley Young for being a right footed lwb, whose first movement is to check inside onto his right foot, that they don't have an issue when Wolves have one that does the same thing. Jonny should be Doherty's replacement and we sign a lwb or trust Vinagre

I haven't seen enough of Jonny to make that conclusion yet, whereas the 150+ times I've watched Ashley Young gives me enough evidence to make that statement. Plus Young can't really defend either.

Well, if Nash is right then we're looking to target the areas which I'm particularly worried about, which is always nice.

I'm guessing the Zinchenko move is dead?

We're waiting on him to make a decision I think. They have accepted our offer but seems like he wants to stay and fight for his place at City.

If it is the case of him checking back on the inside all of the time then I'd have an issue with it too. Our width comes from the wing backs.

Nash is as full of shit as Britney so I wouldn't place too much faith in either charlatan

It was one half paced pre season game, so I can't say for sure he always does that, but based on the above, his first reaction was to try and get it onto his right and not in a weird Matt Jarvis kind of way. I haven't seen him play for Celta, but the reports are that he was a proper full back there so the right footedness wouldn't be such an issue, I'm sure given the level he's played at the defensive side won't be a problem.

I would say there is a huge difference between being like Young or Doherty when he was at LB, where you may as well have a housebrick attached to your left leg, and Denis Irwin who also heavily favoured his right but it didn't significantly impact on him when he played on the left for years and years in a Champions League winning team.

Given the quality of footballer we tend to sign under Nuno then I'm guessing he's going to be more along the lines of the latter.

Tbh I think we’d be ok for lower mid table even if we don’t make any more signings. I haven’t seen Jonny play but Douglas offered very little in general from open play so even if his left foot isn’t great for crosses that’s not going to change our play loads. Our main signings have been securing permanent deals for our loan players, I think people forget that without them we’d be really struggling

Ending up lower mid table will increase the risk of losing our best players next season. we really need to show that we're there to challenge for european football the following season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back