• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you listen to all the ex-player pundits that were defenders, the one attribute they feared most was something that can't be taught, pace.

Traore is only 22yrs old and has blistering pace. If Nuno and his team think they can improve the other aspects to his game so as to make him a suitable asset, then the only way to force 'Boro to sell is to meet the players contract trigger.

I would imagine that if we are to make an offer, we will want to see how his injury pans out before making a bid.

If he's injured then we're not going to know a huge amount more next Thursday than we know now.

FWIW I don't think you should buy injured players even if it is supposedly a trivial thing, look at Stephen Hunt. By the time he eventually got fit we'd made a shit start and it was quickly apparent that his one useful attribute of being a nuisance was now gone because he didn't have the legs any more.

A shoulder injury might not sound serious but it wrecked Kevin Foley's career.

If he's injured then we're not going to know a huge amount more next Thursday than we know now.

FWIW I don't think you should buy injured players even if it is supposedly a trivial thing, look at Stephen Hunt. By the time he eventually got fit we'd made a shit start and it was quickly apparent that his one useful attribute of being a nuisance was now gone because he didn't have the legs any more.

A shoulder injury might not sound serious but it wrecked Kevin Foley's career.

I think he would go through a pretty extensive medical if we did sign him and putting in a bid today would indicate we are happy to proceed. Pretty sure he will have every scan going to make sure it is just a simple dislocation rather than anything complicated.

We keep hearing about raw potential, he’s been at Barcelona, villa and now middlesboro, it’s not as if he’s just come through, as much as I love Nuno can he bring something out of him that 3 other managers couldn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulis brought a lot out of him - not just running and dribbling but end product - goals and assists. More than either costa or Cav.

If Pulis can do it, I think Nuno can.

We keep hearing about raw potential, he’s been at Barcelona, villa and now middlesboro, it’s not as if he’s just come through, as much as I love Nuno can he bring something out of him that 3 other managers couldn’t?

Nuno turned Conor Coady into a top centre half. I'd have more faith in him to bring out Traore's talents than I would Tony Pulis or Tim Sherwood.

I note we've not offered the £18m because we don't believe it represents his value. Half of that and I can see the sense in the 'look what Nuno did with Coady argument', not much more though. I know this is old ground, but I'm not sure you can coach football intelligence, Nuno hasn't managed it yet with Bright for instance.

He hasn't taught Doherty how to cross either, he was once again appalling for end product on Saturday. He's got him a lot fitter and a lot more focused, and improved some aspects of his defending to a point. You can only go so far though.

I would say Traore is already more or less at his limit. So it comes down to whether you think he's a good player or not.

Nuno turned Conor Coady into a top centre half. I'd have more faith in him to bring out Traore's talents than I would Tony Pulis or Tim Sherwood.

I'd say Coady is brilliant in the middle of a back 3, i'm not sure he'd be a great RCB or LCB though

Is his agent still Mark Rankine? (think they are related as well)

Do your work Shabba

Mark Rankine is his uncle and agent. Come on Shabba, Deutsch may even let that POTS award slide if you pull this off.

I don't think comparing Traore to Costa is a fair example, as Traore was always the focal point of Boro's attacks whereas Costa was never the focal point last season and played about 820 less minutes than Traore did, that's more than 9 games. In that time Costa got 5 goals, 6 assists to Traore's 5 goals, 10 assists. 2016/17 where Costa was the focal point - 10 goals, 8 assists, and only about 170 more minutes so just under 2 games and playing in a much weaker team.

This season Cav got 9 goals, 12 assists with about 150 mins more, which is significantly better than Traore despite, again, not being the focal point of our attacks.

I do like to come out with the 'faith in Nuno' line but the thing is, most of our signings have been players I have had no clue about anyway. I'd heard of Ruben Neves and Diogo Jota but don't think I ever saw Neves, and only saw Jota once in Porto's thrashing of Leicester's reserves where he did pretty well to be fair. But players like Vinagre, Boly, Bonatini, Douglas - I knew nothing about them. They all turned out to be good signings, so he has earned what I could call blind faith in the players I don't know anything about.

But players like Ruddy, Bennett, N'Diaye, Afobe, the ones I did know about, you can only say that he improved Bennett while the rest just matched the expectations we had. Most people thought Ruddy would be an upgrade on Ikeme and he was, but he was never tested often enough to see how good he really was. N'Diaye was average at Sunderland and pretty hit and miss at Hull - he had a few stormers like his debut against Liverpool but at other times wasn't good enough. He was fine for this level but can't say I saw him get any better during his time here and it was quite clear we needed better for the Prem so off he went. Everyone knew Afobe could score goals at this level and he can, but he just didn't fit the style of play. I'm guilty of thinking Bennett was a more rubbish Danny Batth so I'll hold my hands up on that one, improved massively and got rid of his habit of hoofing the ball away. Improved a lot on the ball and doesn't feel like he has a massive mistake in him just waiting to happen any more. I think he has earned his chance in the Prem and am not going to lose my mind if he is starting against Everton.

What I am basically saying there in long-winded fashion is that of the players he has signed, the ones I knew nothing about have turned out to be good for the most part so I'm happy to put my faith in Nuno and the scouting team to have found a good player. But the players that I did know about have, save for one, been like expected. And I don't think Traore will be that good.

That isn't me criticising Nuno, just saying that what I have seen of Traore with my own eyes is overriding my willingness to put blind faith in Nuno.

Coral linking us with Danny Rose!

Would love him here but there's no chance of it happening, seems to just be a random rumour from Twitter. Can't imagine Spurs would sell him this late in the window and that weird interview he gave last year was all about him wanting to challenge for trophies. He's not going to get that here (yet)!

Would love him here but there's no chance of it happening, seems to just be a random rumour from Twitter. Can't imagine Spurs would sell him this late in the window and that weird interview he gave last year was all about him wanting to challenge for trophies. He's not going to get that here (yet)!

Of course he isn't coming, but it's nice to have something to distract from whether Traore is a road runner or a footballer. He did say in an interview before the World Cup that he has a new outlook and just wants to enjoy his football, but I still see him going to Utd.

Maddison went for £22m so by that barometer I'm not sure Traore is worth £18m.

Maddison went for £22m so by that barometer I'm not sure Traore is worth £18m.

As with every player, his worth is what a buying club is prepared to spend on him. Boro require £18m (would probably want more but that pesky sell on clause) to sell, we will find out if we think he is worth that over the next 10 days.

Doesn't Rose have injury problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back