• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Oscillating Wildly Thread

It's not about football or anything even particularly interesting, it's written for my own state of mind really. So feel free to ignore this one if you aren't particularly interested in how I go about my life:

https://oscillatingwildly.net/no-regrets-they-tell-me-im-doing-fine/

It takes courage to open yourself up like this - have great admiration for you. As to feedback, suspect you know that if the writing wasn't a decent quality that there are people who would tell you that as well as saying it was (it is particularly when compared to much else that is out there).

Have only been in your position for a very limited period, which was caused by the job/situation I was in at the time - when that was resolved the problem went away & I have never suffered generally so have respect for how you have dealt with this.

It's not about football or anything even particularly interesting, it's written for my own state of mind really. So feel free to ignore this one if you aren't particularly interested in how I go about my life:

https://oscillatingwildly.net/no-regrets-they-tell-me-im-doing-fine/

I have, in the past, only read your football related threads so had no real idea of you personal circumstances have now delved into them more. First of all let me say that your writing and pieces have all been excellent. I also have suffered from depression in the past (mainly because of the pressure )I was undergoing at workand, according to my other half, suffered a nervous breakdown. I did get some relief when I was made "redundant" just their way of getting rid of me and changed my life completely and cleared off to live in Greece for 10 years, but the threat of depression has never gone away. Since coming back to Uk I have had some major (in one case life-threatening) illnesses but I am thankful to still be around. I really appreciate you unburdening yourself in this way. BUT PLEASE REMEMBER THAT YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED BY ME and I am sure many others, in fact reading your blogs in some way is theraputic to me.
Just re-reading through this I don't want you to take this the wrong way. IT IS YOUR WELL BEING THAT I AM TRING TO HELP.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've brought up my own issues on here.

Dan, that nearly put me in tears. Thank you for being willing to write about it. I hope that this helps an understanding reach people who otherwise would not have considered things.

Dan, that nearly put me in tears. Thank you for being willing to write about it. I hope that this helps an understanding reach people who otherwise would not have considered things.

I agree Alan with your words. I've only met Dan a couple of times, and would never have known he had these issues. Thanks for sharing.

thank you for that read Dan, recognize myself in much of that..sometimes i wish i had less IQ and was like one of my friends, always happy, never thinking deep/worrying and just doing the works day in day out..simples...glad to have him in my life because he do cheer me up..im trying not to overthink things as to what have i done to end up here in my mindset for example..just wanna live a normal life and be happy, thats all..

Great piece Deutsch.

I've been lucky enough to never have really had anything like this, sure I've been stressed out (new job, huge project and newborn twins will do that) but I know what causes it.

What I'm trying to say is that I didn't use to believe mental health was really a thing, I was an ignorant dumbass and firmly in the camp of "what has that fantastically wealthy bloke got to be depressed about". I had a girlfriend who was bi-polar and it took me way longer than it should have to accept that these things are real.

But now I understand how hard it can be, my view is that if fantastically wealthy pop stars, sports stars etc are affected then it really has nothing to do with what you've "got" in terms of lifestyle and possessions.

Keep on keeping on and much love

Having had depression for some times and dealt with it (ongoing) just like Dan, I totally sympathise. The blog is bang on, and also fucking brave. Well played sir.

This picture can describe depression better than any amount of words I use can.

IMG_1524.JPG

Been under that cloud a number of times and I sometimes think the worst part of the good days is knowing you could end up back there even if only for a day or two. Glad to see you're taking some really positive steps, Dan.

I cannot remember where I picked the analogy up from, but it has always been referred to here as the black dog is about. The black dog is there, sitting there, haunting you.

(Squeeze tells me this first was from Horace in Roman times, and then was adopted by Churchill to describe his depression)

Wow, didn't expect this level of response to something that I only really put on here for completion's sake, I wouldn't want anyone to think I was hiding stuff from my own thread ;) Didn't think many would really be interested.

Will get round to replying properly tomorrow.

I cannot remember where I picked the analogy up from, but it has always been referred to here as the black dog is about. The black dog is there, sitting there, haunting you.

(Squeeze tells me this first was from Horace in Roman times, and then was adopted by Churchill to describe his depression)
Black eyed dog is also a truly haunting song by Nick drake

The Black Eyed Peas always made me fucking depressed.

Never been depressed as such, Dan, although I have been plagued for most of my adult life by panic attacks, which can be fucking horrible in the middle of the night. But I did learn to live with them, much as you are doing with your demons. One thing I did find helped calm me down was to have a sort of mantra during the bad times along the lines of 'This is an aberration; this isn't normal - feeling good is normal and that's how you'll feel tomorrow.' Also, they did improve over the (forty-odd!) years to the point where they are now very few and far between, so don't despair of ever finding relief. When my wife died earlier this year I expected them to return with a vengeance but they haven't. Perhaps it's as simple as, the worst has happened, so there's no longer anything to fear. That said, I shan't be taking up tightrope walking any time soon. – Trev

Interesting couple of days. A tweet I sent out got a mental reaction (5k+ likes and 3k+ retweets as it stands) and just did a little 10 minute or so Q&A on one of the Manchester radio stations. Which I think went alright.

Cool,words getting out,you could end up being the wolves go to fan/blogger type thing,any links to it?

I only got the invite at about 4ish this afternoon so not had too much chance to look into them - it's XS Manchester and last night's episode of the show is up on the website plus they put some up here so hopefully it'll get on there soon.

I expect you to be on American TV when we get promoted for the inevitable "Who Are Wolves?" special that will get run over here.

I've clearly missed this is there any way I can listen to it?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back