• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

I put in the RIP thread. I don't have an opinion, but Johnson's teammates have said it's a freak accident. There's a chance the police have got involved in something they don't understand, but have supposedly taken expert advice. I wouldn't trust South Yorkshire to investigate a shoplifting offence, but that's probably an outdated trope
Thanks, I wonder if there is any liability from a governing body perspective in failing to ensure the safety of the players. From what I understand neck guards are a thing and could have been enforced reasonably enough.

Thanks, I wonder if there is any liability from a governing body perspective in failing to ensure the safety of the players. From what I understand neck guards are a thing and could have been enforced reasonably enough.
At least in the NHL, it's the players who have typically been against this sort of thing. They didn't even want what little helmeting they currently have to wear.

Weird sport, attracts some of the toughest bellends I've ever seen.

It's not obligatory in the NHL, so I doubt it's something you could sue or prosecute over. Someone put on the RIP thread it'll be the Phillip Hughes equivalent in terms of a sport changing its protective gear, I think that's true

At least in the NHL, it's the players who have typically been against this sort of thing. They didn't even want what little helmeting they currently have to wear.

Weird sport, attracts some of the toughest bellends I've ever seen.
It might be apocryphal but I read genital protection pre dated head protection by decades!

It's not obligatory in the NHL, so I doubt it's something you could sue or prosecute over. Someone put on the RIP thread it'll be the Phillip Hughes equivalent in terms of a sport changing its protective gear, I think that's true
I get the analogy but can't help my ignorant mind in thinking that a sport with blades is inherently dangerous

So is throwing a hard ball at your head at 90 mph.
And playing a sport where your body is subjected to car accident levels of force multiple times over a 3/4 hour period.

The simple fact is it has to get round the concept of volenti in an English case (although that is a civil idea you can guarantee it will have some bearing in this criminal one). By entering the field of play you consent to the risk of injury through the normal course of play. You do not consent to foul play so outlandish that it would be beyond reasonable to think you were consenting.

So a batsman getting hit on the head has effectively consented. The footballer who was elbowed by Ben Thatcher had not.

As I say that is civil not criminal. Manslaughter usually requires an element of recklessness about the risk of accidental death of another. I have not seen this challenge, I have no desire to do so. So hard to make a call about recklessness. If it was a deliberate act then you are pushing the bounds of manslaughter / murder unless you can show provocation (and no act on a sporting field should be sufficient to clear that bar).

Yep any hopes of either Ohio teams having a superbowl run out of the window the last few days.

Stick a pin in the name Caleb Downs. We'll be hearing a lot about him in two years or so as a top draft prospect.

Size of a safety with the ball skills and quickness of a corner. He's perfect for the modern NFL. Still only 19! Kills me how young these kids are.

Sky annnounced a deal today, so we are now going to get college football on there

Sky annnounced a deal today, so we are now going to get college football on there
College football is definitely the closest we get to European soccer in terms of tribalism. College gets in people's blood in a different way to the pros, for whatever reason.

Gets worse…

fucking hell Fields

A touching moment to see Dorian Thompson-Robinson break down into tears after what is surely the winning FG for Cleveland against Pittsburgh.

We had a decent back room staff under Nuno and Lopetegui but watching the Red Zone, the back room staff in the NRL is the size of a small village.

Back