• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

That was filthy, offense play calling atrocious and the weak LB and safety group abused by a below average NE offense. Looks like Steichen is going to be massively missed

Cowboys are destroying the Giants. Edit: 40-0. Ouch.

And Washington started with a win. Sorcery.

Last edited:
Thoughts on what I saw:

Eagles were unimpressive, although any Belichick coached defense is always tough.

49ers look formidable. On both offense and defense. Caveat is that Steelers could be bad.

I hate DeSean Watson. Vile human. Shocking that his Browns made Joe Cool look a long way off deserving the biggest contract in NFL history.

Cowboys good or Giants bad. A bit of both but most likely is that the Giants massively over-achieved last season and they aren't very good. Daniel Jones is not a franchise QB.

Dolphins are scary good on offense. Tua had a day. Helps when you have a Maddden cheat code as a WR. Tyreek Hill is phenomenal, even though he is a child beating piece of shit. What were the Chiefs thinking trading him within the AFC?! Fucking dumbasses...

I'll wait to see on Dallas, the first 2 TDs were pretty freaky and NY looked shot from then onwards. Their defense is the real deal though, you've got to put points on them to make Dak air the ball which is easier said than done

SF look scary, I still don't particularly buy Purdy, but he doesn't need to be special in that offense, he hits whoever Shanahan schemes open and keeps the ball out of harms way

Purdy isn't elite, but he doesn't make many mistakes and like you say, he's just got to get the ball into the hands of a whole bunch of playmakers.

Might want to revise my prediction for winners of the AFC East if Rodgers has done his achilles. Which is possible given that it didn't look like his ankle got rolled over. 4 snaps is all he lasted.

I'm no fan of Rodgers the man, but that news does kill one of the more interesting stories of the season. The Jets will still win games as they have a Top 5 defense and a legit number 1 WR, but with Z Wilson the ceiling can only be so high. All those primetime games the networks have signed up to as well. It's a shame.

Wild that the game ended up being Allen v Wilson and that Wilson wasn’t the one who chucked the game away for his team.

If he cuts out the stupid INTs and has learned how to make a pass into the flat (which should be imminently achievable for any QB at this level, starter or not), the Jets will still be a threat. He really just needs to be okay, I think the Jets’ D is that good.

I really rate Saleh as well.

Does anyone have any info on what a player gets paid if he has a season ending injury?
Does he just go back to a 'basic salary ' minus appearance money and match day fees etc?
(If there is such a thing as basic salary...!)

Most contracts in the NFL are structured like transfer deals: you have a guaranteed minimum and then a ton of performance incentives on top. For most players, that minimum is going to be near or around the league minimum wage ($750k last I checked). For your proven starters and bona fide stars, it can be much, much higher.

Rodgers will still get millions, no doubt.

Wild that the game ended up being Allen v Wilson and that Wilson wasn’t the one who chucked the game away for his team.

If he cuts out the stupid INTs and has learned how to make a pass into the flat (which should be imminently achievable for any QB at this level, starter or not), the Jets will still be a threat. He really just needs to be okay, I think the Jets’ D is that good.

I really rate Saleh as well.
Wilson is a complete bomb scare any time he has the ball in his hands. They were practically petrified of letting him pass the ball in that second half even when they were getting nowhere with the run. The TD he did throw was all on Garrett Wilson, admittedly they'll be able to call more plays being able to scheme for their next game, but he played a load of preseason and still looked terrible last night. They only got out with the win because it was week one and the Bills were as rusty as all hell. No way they make the playoffs with him at QB all year, even with that defence.

Wilson is a complete bomb scare any time he has the ball in his hands. They were practically petrified of letting him pass the ball in that second half even when they were getting nowhere with the run. The TD he did throw was all on Garrett Wilson, admittedly they'll be able to call more plays being able to scheme for their next game, but he played a load of preseason and still looked terrible last night. They only got out with the win because it was week one and the Bills were as rusty as all hell. No way they make the playoffs with him at QB all year, even with that defence.
I think they might trade for another QB.

He didn’t lose the game for them which is an improvement. Last season he finds a way, even though they were already scared to let him sling it.

If Breece stays healthy and Wilson just keeps it simple they can still be a threat. Whether Wilson can or will is another question.

I think they might trade for another QB.
Tough to think who's available though, Stafford would be the only one I can think of who could be good enough and possibly available if the Rams are committed to full rebuild mode. Maybe Kyler Murray if he's fit any time soon, Cardinals are likely looking to move on from him.

Tough to think who's available though, Stafford would be the only one I can think of who could be good enough and possibly available if the Rams are committed to full rebuild mode. Maybe Kyler Murray if he's fit any time soon, Cardinals are likely looking to move on from him.
Stafford would be the better fit given the Jets ground weapons.

You're right though, it's who is available that is the difficulty.

They'll have to overpay for anyone reasonable. To take someone like Brissett off Washington is going to cost a 2 at the very least given the situation. Look what Philly got for Bradford when the Vikings were in a similar situation with Teddy. Murray as per my post a few days ago would be a decent shout although he has a minimum of 3 more weeks on PUP. I think Stafford would have been more available a week ago than he is today given the surprise result in Seattle.

Wentz is available

Matt Ryan technically never filed for retirement, despite working on CBS' broadcasts so far this year.

Most contracts in the NFL are structured like transfer deals: you have a guaranteed minimum and then a ton of performance incentives on top. For most players, that minimum is going to be near or around the league minimum wage ($750k last I checked). For your proven starters and bona fide stars, it can be much, much higher.

Rodgers will still get millions, no doubt.
His salary was fully guaranteed. The Packers lose their first round pick though, becomes a 2

His salary was fully guaranteed. The Packers lose their first round pick though, becomes a 2
Knew a huge chunk was, couldn't remember how much exactly.

For a star of his caliber, as well, the promotions and media appearances will likely continue to roll in.

Back