• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Surprised to wake up and see the result from last night. Chiefs bad or Lions good?

An American told me it's because the sentence reads:

Boston Strangers are playing at New York Cat lovers.

Which makes sense I guess.

But 🤷

Yes, that's how it's said, but the reason it is Florida Pensioners at Alabama Cousins and not Alabama Cousins host Florida Pensioners is because of the baseball thing.

Drops were partly bad throws by Mahomes tbh. Pick completely on Toney tho.

He (Mahomes) looked a bit panicky to me. Definitely missed Kelce.

Just watched it. If Kelce plays the Chiefs win, Mahomes lost his 10yd safety valve on those 3rd and 5 plays. Toney was competition winner levels of bad

Still missing Jones as well, who almost certainly would have helped slow the Lions on the ground.

Tbf the Lions weren't bad; they still went out there and (mostly) did the damn thing with a QB multiple tiers below Mahomes (and I say this as someone who kind of likes Goff). They've lost exactly that sort of game soooooo many times in my life.

Goff is very run of the mill, plays with no emotion, Strange to see his blank reaction after the game.
Chiefs weren't good at all. Mahomes threw two long passes that bounced about 8 yards before their open target and various Chief players couldn't catch it or keep hold of it, indeed one guy cradled it to Branch who ran about 30 yards for 6.
In the hype to the kick off, Collinsworth said, "Well now Kelce is out so now we'll see how good Mahomes really is...."
Yes we will.... 6/10.

Goff is very run of the mill, plays with no emotion, Strange to see his blank reaction after the game.
Chiefs weren't good at all. Mahomes threw two long passes that bounced about 8 yards before their open target and various Chief players couldn't catch it or keep hold of it, indeed one guy cradled it to Branch who ran about 30 yards for 6.
In the hype to the kick off, Collinsworth said, "Well now Kelce is out so now we'll see how good Mahomes really is...."
Yes we will.... 6/10.
Careful now. His offensive line didn't help him much.

Yep, if you think that game was on Mahomes then you don't understand
I think that's harsh, I think it was partly on Mahomes. No doubt other factors notably missing Kelce and sub par receivers, but Mahomes was definitely not firing on all cylinders. He will be taking personal responsibility, it's what good QBs do.

I’m working my way through the quarterback show on Netflix atm. Kinda insane the amount of work that goes in week to week - although I was aware it’s mad to see/hear it all.

Certainly makes me rethink a bit about getting mad at bad plays/calls

I’m working my way through the quarterback show on Netflix atm. Kinda insane the amount of work that goes in week to week - although I was aware it’s mad to see/hear it all.

Certainly makes me rethink a bit about getting mad at bad plays/calls
Have I been mistaken in assuming that that level of prep is the norm in football, too?

Aware it’s a bit apples/oranges.

He will be taking personal responsibility, it's what good QBs do.
I agree with this part, it doesn't make him responsible though. Even what looked like a massively underthrown ball to Watson is more likely to be the receiver running the wrong route imo than Mahomes underthrowing it by that much

Last edited:
Have I been mistaken in assuming that that level of prep is the norm in football, too?

Aware it’s a bit apples/oranges.
How did you think that would happen? There's obviously tactical plans, studying of the oppositions patterns of play, working on set pieces etc, but you couldn't prep for it like American Football, it's too free flowing. There's also half the time between games at the top level and significantly smaller coaching staffs

I agree with this part, it doesn't make him responsible though. Even what looked like a massively underthrown ball to Watson is more likely to be the receiver running the wrong route imo than Mahomes underthrowing it by that much
As I said I don't think he played anywhere near his best and so is partly responsible.

I think his o-line was a car crash. The RT, Taylor was false starting almost constantly and not getting called and when he wasn't false starting was lined up illegally. How he got away with it for so long is baffling.

How did you think that would happen? There's obviously tactical plans, studying of the oppositions patterns of play, working on set pieces etc, but you couldn't prep for it like American Football, it's too free flowing. There's also half the time between games at the top level and significantly smaller coaching staffs
Well yeah, apples/oranges as I said, but surely there are parts of the game that could be studied in similar detail?

Good coaches will have the opposition worked down to an absolute science; obviously you can’t do that to the same extent in soccer but I’d have thought they’d be trying to get as close as possible to it.

As I said I don't think he played anywhere near his best and so is partly responsible.

I think his o-line was a car crash. The RT, Taylor was false starting almost constantly and not getting called and when he wasn't false starting was lined up illegally. How he got away with it for so long is baffling.
Be interesting to see if that call on the RT is something they are going to clamp down on. Lane Johnson has been accused of it for years, although any video I've seen shows him and Kelce just in perfect time with each other after playing together for a decade

Well yeah, apples/oranges as I said, but surely there are parts of the game that could be studied in similar detail?

Good coaches will have the opposition worked down to an absolute science; obviously you can’t do that to the same extent in soccer but I’d have thought they’d be trying to get as close as possible to it.
One more for Johnny, but the video analysis team will have every element of how the opposition plays for review in the same way as NFL teams do, but you aren't getting the same sort of prep as a QB will do firstly because an individual player isn't as dominant and secondly it's not a static sport in the same way. You aren't looking at the opposition to learn if they are in this formation they are likely to blitz, in that they are going to play zone, cover 1 etc. There's a lot more that planning can prep you for than football imo

Makes sense to me. Cheers, Tone.

Be interesting to see if that call on the RT is something they are going to clamp down on. Lane Johnson has been accused of it for years, although any video I've seen shows him and Kelce just in perfect time with each other after playing together for a decade
Taylor has previous. There's footage of him jumping early dozens of times when he played with the Jaguars. To me it didn't even seem close to good timing. He was blatantly false starting.

Back