• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Watching him this season, his mechanics have regressed tremendously. He's like Zach Wilson in a way; seems to have gotten it into his head that he can overcome bad technique with pure arm strength.

Just another talented guy ruined by going to a crackpot organization (Cleveland). Made slightly more unfortunate by the fact that Baker is actually a pretty decent dude, relatively speaking. Reports around here say he was quite popular with his teammates.

Panthers had to pay him more cash if he played any more games I believe. The difference between him, Darnold and Walker is negligible so not much of a suprise.

I wonder if the 49ers will take the risk on waivers? Initially as the backup
Holds on to the ball far too long to thrive at the miners, although he would likely get far more protection than he did in Carolina and Cleveland.

He was never that good and QB is just so random in the NFL.

I know we’ve done it to death, but QBs going early in the draft can end up being average/poor Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold but then Brock Purdy comes in as 7th round pick from nowhere and wasn’t great but was at least serviceable.

So no point paying someone loads of money when you can get a relative nobody to be just as effective.

Obviously in this case Darnold isn’t a relative nobody but the wider point stands

Last edited:

I know we’ve done it to death, but QBs going early in the draft end up being average/poor Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold but then Brock Purdy comes in as 7th round pick from nowhere and wasn’t great but was at least serviceable.

So no point paying someone loads of money when you can get a relative nobody to be just as effective.

Obviously in this case Darnold isn’t a relative nobody but the wider point stands
Peyton Manning doesn't like this.

Drafting a QB is a bit of a lucky dip. There have been a lot of 1st round QBs that have totally bombed out, but there are certainly more later round QBs that have either failed to make it or just bounced around the league as a backup. Getting a 6th rounder to become the GOAT isn't going to happen often if ever again. You're much more likely to hit the jackpot with a 1st rounder than a mid to late rounder even if plenty do still end up busts.

Look around the league nowadays, the very best are mostly 1st round draft picks.

Mike White looks decent and he was a 5th rounder.
I'd say his ceiling his a Fitz like career. He'll be decent enough but I'd be surprised if he was a QB that could put a team on his back and drag them to the Super Bowl.

Peyton Manning doesn't like this.
Poorly written from me. I didn’t mean all top picks are shit (it’s clearly not the case anyway!), just bizarre that Brock Purdy doesn’t look any worse than a lot of the top picks who have failed (the three I mentioned plus Trubisky, Haskins, Wilson from recent years, and others I’ve probably forgot) whereas someone like Joe Burrow looks the real deal.

I don't know why I posted that in the NFL thread.

He set up Saint Maximim for the Newcastle equaliser with a brilliant punt, to be fair...

I know we’ve done it to death, but QBs going early in the draft end up being average/poor Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold but then Brock Purdy comes in as 7th round pick from nowhere and wasn’t great but was at least serviceable.

The success % of non first round QBs is miniscule.

Aye, for every first rounder we can name who failed, there are ten 2nd dayers we’ve never even heard of.

Poorly written from me. I didn’t mean all top picks are shit (it’s clearly not the case anyway!), just bizarre that Brock Purdy doesn’t look any worse than a lot of the top picks who have failed (the three I mentioned plus Trubisky, Haskins, Wilson from recent years, and others I’ve probably forgot) whereas someone like Joe Burrow looks the real deal.
Shanahan has a very QB friendly offense, hence Jimmy G can take them deep into the play offs. Be different if Purdy went straight into replace Mahomes for instance. Plus a team hadn't spent a week scheming for him. I think the best 5 QBs now are Burrow, Mahomes, Rodgers, Herbert and Allen, all 1st round picks.

Last edited:
My point was merely Mayfield wasn’t that good and that they aren’t going to pay him loads of money to play when they get the same results for less. Then made reference to it being weird how top picks can end up not better than nobodies. Let’s use Mike White ousting Zach Wilson as an example.

I’m not saying late round picks are as good as first rounders, and I’m not saying you can get rid of any QB and replace him with a nobody. Just simply in the example of Mayfield - he is bang average, may as well use someone cheaper

My point was merely Mayfield wasn’t that good and that they aren’t going to pay him loads of money to play when they get the same results for less. Then made reference to it being weird how top picks can end up not better than nobodies. Let’s use Mike White ousting Zach Wilson as an example.

I’m not saying late round picks are as good as first rounders, and I’m not saying you can get rid of any QB and replace him with a nobody. Just simply in the example of Mayfield - he is bang average, may as well use someone cheaper

Carolina were only paying 5m so it's not really a high price if they claim him. For reference, mason Rudolph makes 5m.

Back