• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Nerdy Dr Who Geekfest Thread

Ah shoot,not in Norway.

Sigh....now we have to invade you and buy all your stuff again.

pumpkin-carving-2.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24657064

I read Tom Baker's autobiography a couple of years ago, and it's actually quite a sad read. He's a very complex character, far from happy in most things that he does, and you can see signs of that in this short interview.

He's still one of my heroes though.

BBC 3 have had the Dr Who Top 10 Monsters and Villains weekend.

Started watching - what a wasted opportunity. Firstly, it's presented by an absolute wanker (Joel Dommet or something like that) and they decided on an informal, piss-take kind of feel to it. With dreadful puns and inappropriate comments to match.

Each monster/villain is presented for about 5 minutes before an episode featuring that adversary is shown. Fine - but every single episode was from either Tennant or Smith's time in the TARDIS. It's supposed to be the 50th anniversary so why they only featured 2 of the 11 - spanning 8 years out of the 50 - was so disappointing.

I didn't agree with the list either but I was expecting it to be mainly modern villains like Judoon/Ood etc so not too fussed there.

Decided to stop watching and have put Pyramids of Mars on instead. Classic Tom Baker.

I'm going to be super-geeky this week and do some Dr Who Top 10s. Here are my top 10 Monsters/Villains that will differ greatly from the list on BBC 3!

1. Daleks
2. The Master
3. Sharaz Jek
4. Weeping Angels
5. Sutekh the Destroyer
6. Cybermen
7. The Kandyman (and Helen A)
8. Sea Devils/Silurians
9. Black Guardian
10. Autons

And the top 10 shittest monsters/villains:

1. The Myrka - basically a green pantomime horse. Hysterically funny, but it wasn't meant to be. If you get the chance to watch Warriors of the Deep, take it. Just to laugh at The Myrka.
2. Zarbi - giant wasp type creatures who used to bang into scenery
3. Abzorbaloff - designed by a kid. Shite.
4. Adipose - fuck off.
5. The Rani - basically a female version of The Master, but far less successful. And the 2 stories she featured in were appalling.
6. Tetraps - the 'monsters' from Time and the Rani. Big bat-type creatures. But they looked ridiculous and weren't scary
7. Slitheen - very silly, the farting 'joke' really wasn't very funny
8. Mestor - a bit like a caterpillar mixed with a slug with amusing limbs. So bad it took the focus away from Colin Baker's awful costume. Briefly.
9. Dalek Sec as a human Dalek - no, no, no, no, no. Go away.
10. Quarks - robotic slaves of The Dominators. They were essentially fridges with legs. And they were called 'Quarks' FFS.

Whoever Abzorbaloff is, he looks like Jo Brand

Top 10 Favourite Companions:

1. Sarah-Jane Smith
2. Ace
3. Donna Noble
4. Leela
5. Romana
6. Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
7. River Song
8. Amy Pond
9. Jo Grant
10. Rose Tyler

Top 10 Worst Companions:

1. Adric
2. Mel Bush
3. Victoria Waterfield
4. Tegan Jovanka
5. Clara
6. Polly
7. Peri Brown
8. Turlough
9. Grace Holloway
10. Adam Mitchell

Clara is lovely , how dare you ;)

I thought the Slitheen were quite good, but as I was about 12 at the time probably I would have found that funny

Clara is lovely , how dare you ;)

I thought the Slitheen were quite good, but as I was about 12 at the time probably I would have found that funny

I think the way they've handled her character has been pretty ropey TBH. I loved the last episode when everything finally clicks into place but personally, I'd lost interest in her character a good while before then. They needed a straightforward companion without any baggage or mystery after everything with Amy and River. I think they tried to do too much and it backfired. And gorgeous as she admittedly is, she's quite irritating.

The Slitheen were dreadful - they look like cuddly toys and with the budget they currently have, there's no excuse for how crap they made them.

BBC 3 have had the Dr Who Top 10 Monsters and Villains weekend.

Started watching - what a wasted opportunity. Firstly, it's presented by an absolute $#@!er (Joel Dommet or something like that) and they decided on an informal, piss-take kind of feel to it. With dreadful puns and inappropriate comments to match.

Each monster/villain is presented for about 5 minutes before an episode featuring that adversary is shown. Fine - but every single episode was from either Tennant or Smith's time in the TARDIS. It's supposed to be the 50th anniversary so why they only featured 2 of the 11 - spanning 8 years out of the 50 - was so disappointing.

I didn't agree with the list either but I was expecting it to be mainly modern villains like Judoon/Ood etc so not too fussed there.

Decided to stop watching and have put Pyramids of Mars on instead. Classic Tom Baker.

You're going to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about but isn't BBC 3 aimed at teenagers and kids? (and isn't Doctor Who?).

I did watch Brian Cox's programme on time travel and the space travel, which was loosely the theory of relativity and why it can/ can't happen. Pretty good all said and done.

You're going to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about but isn't BBC 3 aimed at teenagers and kids? (and isn't Doctor Who?).

I did watch Brian Cox's programme on time travel and the space travel, which was loosely the theory of relativity and why it can/ can't happen. Pretty good all said and done.

Yes it is, and like I said, I was anticipating it mostly featuring adversaries from 2005 onwards but EVERY one, when it was the 50th Anniversary top 10?? A total waste and a bit of a pisstake after how it was advertised. That's 10 separate episodes they showed, and they were all from Tennant or Smith's time. Even the Ice Warriors - the modern day episode featuring them was crap.

I recorded the Brian Cox programme - will hopefully get round to watching it tonight.

Back