• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Manager Sacked/Hired Thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colchester manager Joe Dunne has left his position.

Carlisle were in division one last year. They have managed only two draws from five games at a lower level. I would say Kavanagh was always going to be vulnerable after that start.

Colchester have started even more poorly.

The only surprise to me is Weird Felix still being gainfully employed.

10k compensation for Hockaday, they were paying him peanuts in football managerial terms.

Both sacking not just based on this season though.

True. I just think it would have been better if both clubs had made a change at the end of last season.

Anyway, you know I always think managers are sacked at the wrong time...

True. I just think it would have been better if both clubs had made a change at the end of last season.

Genuine question; When is the right time?

I guess the clubs have tried to give them a chance. A full pre-season, a chance to alter the squads, change things around and then 5 games in if things are looking no better than they were in April/May then its time to change things at the top.

Genuine question; When is the right time?

A fair enough question, as I am aware that I am often critical of clubs sacking managers.

I just think that at times clubs are too trigger happy. Huddersfield sacking their manager after just one game was a nonsense. Also I am surprised when clubs sack their manager after the January transfer window has closed, as it gives the new manager no chance to bring in new players. I tend to think that managers should be given until October, as then it is not too late to change things and still have a good season.

Agreed to walk

Chairman's comments seemed very much as if the bulk of the decision rested with Robins (not that they had much objection to him going). Seemed that he didn't feel he could turn things around, Keegan/England style.

I don't think you can make hard and fast rules about when the manager should go. If someone is so obviously out of their depth like Hockaday was, and Saunders was here, why would you leave them in place to cause further damage as will inevitably happen? Cellino is an actual lunatic but I don't blame him for pulling the trigger there - of course you'd question his judgement in bringing in an absolute nobody and the way he runs the club as his own personal fiefdom, but there was as good as 0% chance of Hockaday improving things. We should have canned Saunders after 5-6 games.

Sacks Hockaday one day, re-instates him the next, then sack him two days later, then gives him a £10,000 compensation. If that is how a football club is run, then you can understand my surprise at some of the sackings.

The owner of Leeds though is a whole different type of mental to your "normal" owner of a football club. So the usual rules do not apply at Elland Road at the moment

Cellino is 'too batshit mental to be plausible in a Dream Team plot' type of mental.

Sacks Hockaday one day, re-instates him the next, then sack him two days later, then gives him a £10,000 compensation. If that is how a football club is run, then you can understand my surprise at some of the sackings.

Would you have given Hockaday another six games or so? Or more? They were heading one way with him. He clearly commanded no respect, had no track record at all and the results and performances were awful.

I actually think managers get given too much rope on the whole. Just look at Wolves over the last 20 odd years - there's a clear case to be made for all of Turner, Taylor, McGhee, Lee, Jones, Hoddle, McCarthy and Saunders to have been sacked earlier. Solbakken is about the only one where I think the timing was right - a decline over a longish period, dressing room issues, the Ipswich/Peterborough/Luton horror shows - so we pulled the plug.

Personally I would not have employed Hockaday, but Leeds having done so, they should have at least given him a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back