• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
A season long loan with little financial return on the cards then and likely best we can hope for

...and after sporadically spunking £££ on mediocre talent like Guedes, Nelson and Fabio we now (allegedly) don't have a pot to piss in
We have a pot....just got to empty it a bit

Sounds a little more positive.
It does.
This sounds realistic too from JL.
“I am not asking for incredible signings. I am thinking of signing good players, young players, maybe Championship players, I don’t know.

“I am not thinking we are going to sign from Real Madrid or Barcelona, no. I am aware of our reality.
“But in our reality we have to be demanding now if we want to be demanding after.”
Something we've all been saying. It doesn't have to be 40+ million pound signings, just decent players.

To be fair our non-40 million pound signings have been the standouts this season: Lemina and Dawson were under £10m each and Gomes was around the £18m mark.

Brighton and Brentford don’t spend big on players either. It’s just about being savvy.

I'm amazed he didn't know what the FFP situation would be in November. It's not credible tbh.
He could've been lied to.

I'm concerned and this bit says to me he's off:

He added: “I have a contract here. I am a coach for next year here now. But we will see what will happen because this is football, it is important to talk.

“I came here with one context that maybe it was going to be different for different reasons and I don’t have the power about this situation.

“This is the world, life, business and it can change. I have a responsibility here and I want to be responsible and know the final picture and I am going to take my opinion for the chairman.”

He could've been lied to.

I'm concerned and this bit says to me he's off:

He added: “I have a contract here. I am a coach for next year here now. But we will see what will happen because this is football, it is important to talk.

“I came here with one context that maybe it was going to be different for different reasons and I don’t have the power about this situation.

“This is the world, life, business and it can change. I have a responsibility here and I want to be responsible and know the final picture and I am going to take my opinion for the chairman.”
Yeah I think he might be off too. Gets his mate in the media to put his case across so he can walk away with his reputation intact.

Do we know if the press release was given in English or translated from Spanish?

Do we know if the press release was given in English or translated from Spanish?
Seems he hosted a load of English press.
So we will get their take on his comments over the next day or so.

I am now presuming Jeff and Co are happy with Lopetegui talking openly to the media.

PTS's version has a lot of the similar quotes, but says we are looking to make a profit on transfers this Summer. All fail to recognise that we do actually have income streams, most notably TV revenue and will have a considerable drop in wages.
Everyone other than Penk presents our p&l as the net value of transfers in versus transfers out.

Also signing players from the Championship is not a cheap route if it's the Gyokeres and Scott types, cheaper than paying over the top for Mendes guys, but not cheap and probably with as much on the pitch risk

...and after sporadically spunking £££ on mediocre talent like Guedes, Nelson and Fabio we now (allegedly) don't have a pot to piss in
We'd be better off selling Cunha, Guedes and Nunes, getting our £110m back and starting again. Except we can't as they weren't worth that then and aren't now.

Making this public also means Barcelona can give us whatever they feel like for Neves if they are the only option and he clearly has to go.

3 years of rank mismanagement and being abused by Mendes starting with the Summer of Fabio

We'd be better off selling Cunha, Guedes and Nunes, getting our £110m back and starting again. Except we can't as they weren't worth that then and aren't now.

Making this public also means Barcelona can give us whatever they feel like for Neves if they are the only option and he clearly has to go.

3 years of rank mismanagement and being abused by Mendes starting with the Summer of Fabio
I expected better from Fosun.

Turns out they're just clueless like the majority of football owners

the
PTS's version has a lot of the similar quotes, but says we are looking to make a profit on transfers this Summer. All fail to recognise that we do actually have income streams, most notably TV revenue and will have a considerable drop in wages.
Everyone other than Penk presents our p&l as the net value of transfers in versus transfers out.
This is all true but the amortisation does get you eventually. You either need to keep selling someone for a big fee or have a much lower average net spend.

If your non transfer activity profit is around £15m (complete guess but seems reasonable), then with the owner financing our net spend can only be on average £50m. As I said, after wasting loads of money we are going to have to “balance the books” at some stage.

You're going to have to explain that to me
I remember Harry Pearson writing about Shackleton ‘The Clown Prince of soccer’ and saying that in his autobiography he had a chapter on what the average owner knows about football, followed by a load of blank pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back