• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we not have an elite coach?

The idea of binning off loads of our players and assuming we'll be able to better them so easily when we have such an appalling transfer record of late blows my mind.

Look at what Nuno did with Coady and Doherty!?

I'd expect a manager of Lop's reputation to turn an average player into a good player, I'd expect him to iron out weaknesses, to identify strengths.

This "fuck 'um all off Franksy" attitude, is well, a surprise and feels a bit Mol Mix simplistic.

It's a fair point. There aren't many players that haven't been mooted and seconded as players for the chop, and yeah it's not unreasonable to expect Lop to improve individual players as well being a tactician

Nuno turned Coady & Doherty's careers around but equally he was capable of fucking a player off if they weren't good enough. We have several in need of that treatment at the club right now.
Brutally at time. Ask Douglas, B how he worked

Nuno turned Coady & Doherty's careers around but equally he was capable of fucking a player off if they weren't good enough. We have several in need of that treatment at the club right now.
This time last year many wanted Saiss, Boly and Coady gone, well they got their wish and we replaced them with Nathan Collins.

We sold MGW and replaced him with Guedes.

Simply put, I have far more faith in Lop to improve the form and consistency of some of our...less liked players, than I do of the club to improve on them through selling and buying - particularly with Mendes still involved.

And I'm surprised that I feel largely alone in that mindset.

Nuno chose a style that fitted the very specific skill sets of Doherty and Coady. You can see how their careers have gone subsequently to demonstrate that. Whether that was chicken or egg we don't know.

After 6 months we have a good idea how Lopetegui wants to play and what he thinks of certain players. He isn't going to improve RAN, Jonny, Raul and arguably Sa because he doesn't rate them. He's not going to turn Semedo into a full back who beats a man and whips a cross in or cut in and finish, he's not capable of it. His system is clearly important to him and he needs players to fit that. That's what this Summer is about

I think some of the players people want out will stay.
I wouldn't want it but if Adama can't find anyone he could stay.

I believe our transfer dealings will be different, regardless of Mendes simply because of Lopetegui. If we try the shit we did under Lage then we are looking for a new coach.

This time last year many wanted Saiss, Boly and Coady gone, well they got their wish and we replaced them with Nathan Collins.

Simply put, I have far more faith in Lop to improve the form and consistency of some of our...less liked players, than I do of the club to improve on them through selling and buying - particularly with Mendes still involved.

You're alone in an argument nobody has made?

A series of correct calls followed by poor ones. The latter doesn't make the former incorrect. Coady can't get a game for Everton and wouldn’t for us under either Lage or Lopetegui, Boly is still often injured and Saiss has spent a reasonable period of the season out of the Besiktas side. We didn't have a choice on MGW once we'd got to where we were.

Last edited:
So no one has said we should sell Sa? And/or Jonny? And/Or Semedo? And/Or Kilman? And/Or Hwang? And/Or Podence? And/Or loan Collins?

Course they have, many times.
Lopetegui isn't improving any of those players. Not in the areas where they're serially deficient. Collins the possible exception because he's only just turned 22 and at least theoretically he has the physical element(s) on his side, but we're starting from a pretty low base with everything else given how he's played since September.

Sa will cock up all the time and can't play out from the back, Jonny is quite obviously done and can't even get on the bench, Semedo has no attacking output, Kilman can't turn or jump and is stupidly passive, Hwang is appalling technically and doesn't really have a position, Podence will forever be 1 good game in 5 or 6. None of them are young, they're at their supposed peak.

Not sure where Semedo has come from, he is our only viable RB at present and has just signed a contract extension. He'd be way down the list.

So you either want us to keep them and accept that we have a load of mediocre players for this level - as demonstrated by three straight shit seasons - or ideally you'd move them on and sign better.

Sa - Rumours unsettled. Now given the back up 2 games. Indicates he is off

Jonny - Out of favour. We have 1 RB and he can't get in the squad. Playing a CB ahead of him at LB. Obvious a move could happen.

Semedo and Kilman - Personal opinions innit. Obviously Semedo staying. Kilman goes only if Liam's laughable £35m value is met

Hwang - He annoys everyone bar Alan

Podence - As above except Alan joins in

Collins - As per Kilman/Semedo

If you take every opinion on here then yes the members wants a hell of a lot of players sold/released. In reality some will be annoyed certain players remain.

Sá, Jonny, Kilman, Podence, Collins...

That's 5 players. We signed more than that just in January. Whatever BS the club says publicly, we've got the money to burn (even if we take that too seriously with really poor purchases sometimes).

What's your answer though EP?

Keep these players even though we know they're not good enough for where we want to be? We all know they won't all go but every single one listed should be vulnerable. If they didn't want to be then they shouldn't have been so fucking shit repeatedly.

You're bringing Costa into it now, who the hell wants to keep him?

Sá, Jonny, Kilman, Podence, Collins...

That's 5 players. We signed more than that just in January. Whatever BS the club says publicly, we've got the money to burn (even if we take that too seriously with really poor purchases sometimes).
Plus Costa, Mout, Neves, Adama all likely to leave/leaving.

That's 9 players, and I don't trust the club to improve on them through transfers.

We've had what? 2 good windows in the last 8? I'm probably being kind there too.

There you go Johnny.

There's someone making that argument.
You are missing that for the first time in years we have a bloated squad and we'd be signing a certain number of players to replace them.
Adama, Moutinho, RAN, Jonny, Neves probably Costa, one of Sarabia, Podence or Neto all leaving I don't think is particularly contentious, it's just very likely to happen. Sa, we've discussed on numerous occasions, I can see why he'd be upgraded, you don't so fair enough. We are going to have a Summer of high turnover, the question for me is the quality of the incomings

We are going to have a Summer of high turnover, the question for me is the quality of the incomings
And I'd rather roll that dice. Because a) I trust Lopetegui, and he will drive recruitment, not anyone else and b) I've seen enough of the incumbents by now to know what level they're at. If we stick with them then we'll just get more of the same.

You can hope Podence magically turns into Mitoma if you like but you'd be as well hoping for a Costa hat trick next week.

You are missing that for the first time in years we have a bloated squad and we'd be signing a certain number of players to replace them.
Adama, Moutinho, RAN, Jonny, Neves probably Costa, one of Sarabia, Podence or Neto all leaving I don't think is particularly contentious, it's just very likely to happen. Sa, we've discussed on numerous occasions, I can see why he'd be upgraded, you don't so fair enough. We are going to have a Summer of high turnover, the question for me is the quality of the inincoming.

And I'm saying I don't trust the quality of the incomings to be adequate. I feel we'd be better off trying to coach and improve those players who aren't quite where we want them to be. Particularly given we have an elite coach now.

Trusting our transfer policy given how shit it's been over the last few years is folly, I'd rather put my faith in Lop.

And I'm saying I don't trust the quality of the incomings to be adequate. I feel we'd be better off trying to coach and improve those players who aren't quite where we want them to be. Particularly given we have an elite coach now.

Trusting our transfer policy given how shit it's been over the last few years is folly, I'd rather put my faith in Lop.
With those players that's delusional imo. He's not interested in players he doesn't like. Look how he treated Raul yesterday, he knew what he was doing only backtracked when he got crap for it. You are in or you are out we have a number who are out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back