• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe our transfer dealings will be different, regardless of Mendes simply because of Lopetegui. If we try the shit we did under Lage then we are looking for a new coach.
I hope you're right. The comments from Lop this week don't help me to agree though.

And I'm saying I don't trust the quality of the incomings to be adequate. I feel we'd be better off trying to coach and improve those players who aren't quite where we want them to be. Particularly given we have an elite coach now.

Trusting our transfer policy given how shit it's been over the last few years is folly, I'd rather put my faith in Lop.
That's stupid.

Are we just going to never sign anyone ever again?

We literally have an entirely new backroom staff as well. The people making the decisions aren't the same ones that have fucked up the recruitment recently.

We literally have an entirely new backroom staff as well. The people making the decisions aren't the same ones that have fucked up the recruitment recently.
Ah, good, we can discover new ways to be fucked over, then! ;)

Seriously, though, it ain't Poker. You can't fold after a bad hand, you've got to keep getting hit by the dealer. Sometimes you get a Queen (Neves), sometimes you get a Joker (Podence). Sometimes you get an Ace that can't decide if it's Low or High (Nunes).

That gamble is part of what makes football stay exciting over the long term, IMO.

That's stupid.

Are we just going to never sign anyone ever again?

Yeah that's what I said :rolleyes:

We have an entirely new coaching staff too, maybe we have should have a bit of faith in them to improve our current players.

And anyway, Mendes is still involved, as I've said I few times I don't trust us not to get shafted again.

He's trying to regarding Neves right now.

The last window gives me confidence we'll get our transfer mojo back. We'll still have failures, but hopefully at a more acceptable rate

Do we not have an elite coach?

The idea of binning off loads of our players and assuming we'll be able to better them so easily when we have such an appalling transfer record of late blows my mind.

Look at what Nuno did with Coady and Doherty!?

I'd expect a manager of Lop's reputation to turn an average player into a good player, I'd expect him to iron out weaknesses, to identify strengths.

This "fuck 'um all off Franksy" attitude, is well, a surprise and feels a bit Mol Mix simplistic.

For every Coady and Doherty there was a Dicko and lesser extent, Batth.

Let's make no bones about it, in 2017 the never want to see again list wasn't too much shorter than this years

Ikeme
Batth
Edwards
Marshall
Dicko (easiest comparison to Jonny)
Graham
Coady
Doherty
Saville
Evans
Deslandes
Wallace
Henry
Price
Bodvarsson
EEL
Gladon
Silvio

We didn't sell everybody on the list and it was a bonus we got a tune out of Coady and Doc with one or two others featuring sporadically (Batth, Marshall) it would be great if Lopetegui can do similar with one or two here, but no amount of Lopetegui us going to suddenly cause one of our forwards to be a threat or create for others, just as Nuno didn't turn Doc into a brilliant right back, he maximised his strengths while hiding his limitations. He didn't make them fundamentally better players as evidenced by their trajectories since his or their departures.

How are the coaches going to improve say, Jonny? Who you keep including on the "never say never" pile.

People have listed players that they personally wouldn't care about losing, I don't think anyone is sugggesting that they all go in one window. Some will be squad players but most of them aren't good enough to play prominent roles if we want to move up the table.

It would be a ridiculous risk for a club of our stature to actively look to sell so many players in one window and hope we can sign adequate replacements. Especially with out of contract players reducing the squad on top.

In one of the recent articles it was mentioned how the club knew it was ambitious to try and sign 6 players all in one window last summer. So I cant see them wanting to do a similar job again 12 months later.

Think that relates to targeting 6 in the January window. Can be a difficult window to deal in and also players dont have time to settle in.
No pre season etc.

We have already covered a few spots though with those January signings.
This summer will see a reduction in the squad size.

As it stands with a fully fit squad you can get Jonny, Raul, Mout etc not even getting into the 20 man squad.
We have been used to 14 or 15 1st teamers and U23 players to fill the gaps.

Yes I meant January not last summer. Getting my windows mixed up.

For all you FFP lovers, Football365 have done an article on previous 5 years net spends for all PL clubs. Here's ours.

Wolves: £-276.55m
22/23: £-103.15m
21/22: £-5.09m (10th)
20/21: £-7.37m (13th)
19/20: £-81.3m (7th)
18/19: £-78.53m (7th)

Presumably the 22/23 number will change? Unless the summer window falls under next season.

No I think it's the summer and January window for that season. We made about £50m in player sales this season too.

Do we not have an elite coach?

The idea of binning off loads of our players and assuming we'll be able to better them so easily when we have such an appalling transfer record of late blows my mind.

Look at what Nuno did with Coady and Doherty!?

I'd expect a manager of Lop's reputation to turn an average player into a good player, I'd expect him to iron out weaknesses, to identify strengths.

This "fuck 'um all off Franksy" attitude, is well, a surprise and feels a bit Mol Mix simplistic.
Such a bizarre stance. And you keep going back to it.

I have no idea why City signed Grealish for £100m. Should have just signed Podence for £10m and coached him to be good.

Such a bizarre stance. And you keep going back to it.

I have no idea why City signed Grealish for £100m. Should have just signed Podence for £10m and coached him to be good.
I think the point is with an elite coach the players should improve.

However, no matter the coach, certain players only have certain ceilings.

Can’t polish a turd and all that

I think the point is with an elite coach the players should improve.

However, no matter the coach, certain players only have certain ceilings.

Can’t polish a turd and all that
But the players we want out can’t improve because they aren’t or are no longer good enough.

You Can accentuate their positives and mask their weaknesses (Coady/Doherty). But Coady will still be weak, slow and poor in 1 v 1 situations, and Doherty will still be extremely limited technically and defensively.

We’re not going to grow Jonny a new knee, stop Podence having the presence of a 12 year old, Collins the coordination and agression of a new born giraffe, need I go on?

Last edited:
I think we could see a big overhaul but it will be similar to January, in the sense it's lesser fancied signings or South American or lower valued markets. Spending big didn't seem to work for us in the end so happy to see how many others they have like Dawson, Lemina that seem to fit a metrics profile, or any others like Gomes.

Yeah that's what I said :rolleyes:

We have an entirely new coaching staff too, maybe we have should have a bit of faith in them to improve our current players.

And anyway, Mendes is still involved, as I've said I few times I don't trust us not to get shafted again.

He's trying to regarding Neves right now.
Alternatively, he might be the one avenue to attracting some sort of value for a depreciating asset at the last opportunity to do so in a market that doesn't actually appear to be flush with suitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back