• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Adama it wouldn’t matter if Pep was coaching him. He is a mobile brain fart. On top of that he wants an utterly unrealistic wage so we won’t pay that. Best if we move on.

With regard to Bear’s post a couple of pages ago, trying to equate net spend with FFP is utterly pointless and frankly a massive rabbit hole. It takes no account of amortisation or wages which are rather key to any FFP calculation.

A manager sets up a team with the players he’s got. I dont really get how you can’t see a difference in performance and output since Lops arrived? Tactics and organisation also effect how good a plays?
You’re getting more out of the player. Not measurably improving their ability. The players aren’t good enough for where we want to be. No coach is turning water into wine. Like I said, if it was that easy then teams wouldn’t sign the most talented players, they’d sign any old chum and “coach” them.
Surely a key metric in performance is results? Or are you saying we are going to fall off a cliff next year ala Lage as we’ve been scrapping results like he did last year?
Already covered this in previous posts. But again, getting more out of them.
Regarding Podence, if we are zeroing in on him as the example (although I’d happily see him go) you can Ofcourse make him a better player, or at football that suits him. All falls under the same basket really. Patterns of play, positional awareness, what to do and what not to etc.
He will still be a petulant, arrogant shit, with physical atributes miles off the required standard for this level and he ‘runs’ around puffing his cheeks out like he’s towing a caravan, offering zero out of possession, and very little on it 99% of the time. He isn’t good enough. No level of coaching will make him so.
There are plenty of examples of players being no where near a team or being seen as good enough, and then a new manager takes the reigns and they play a big part. Again, I’m not saying Adama, Collins, Podence, hwang etc fall into that category, but to say an elite manager won’t improve players is ridiculous.
More likely the previous manager fell out with them or the player didn’t fit the managers system.

Let’s say Rui was still here. Lopetegui would Have almost definitely dropped him as he can’t use his feet at all. JL leaves and Nuno comes back. He would definitely put Rui back in. Rui hasn’t improved in the slightest but his abilities meet what the manager wants from him.

I can only assume this argument is semantics though

A great example is Soyuncu. With Evans broken or in decline he is actually Leicesters best centre half by a fair distance*. But Brentdan fell out with him so the useless sack of shite Faes got all the games.

* not a high bar, but the example really works

I see Lopetegui as more along the lines of Ancelotti, someone who can get a team well organised and performing to its maximum, identify the right players for his system, has the gravitas within football to attract players, has tons of experience at the very top level and can manage a game in real time very well (Lage was none of these). I don't think he's a miracle worker on the training ground.

It won’t fucking happen surely. It’s a zero benefit situation for us so we need to tell Mendes to get absolutely fucked, fuck off, and when finished with that fuck off a bit more or preferably fire the cunt into the sun.
I'm gonna save that onto a memory stick.
It really made me laugh!

I agree with PW, though I thought his rant was a bit reserved.

There is easily 10-15 current players they need to get rid of if the target is being a top 8-10 side. Honestly though, as long as there is squad regeneration and 6-7 signed during the summer then it'll be trending in right direction. "If" though.

putting players in their actual positions and getting them to do the basics has helped enormously.
This is dead on.
Even as a kid I used to practice taking corners with the inside of my right foot and the outside too. I could do it regularly and fairly reliably.
So it beats me how Adama has been in so many clubs, worked with so many coaches and experienced staff on the basics that he still can't cross a ball reliably or score when the opportunity arises. It's ridiculous, for an impressive lump of a man who can run so fast, that he has virtually no end product.
I get he's exciting to watch setting off at speed ghosting past defenders, but you know before he does, that it's gonna go ugly in about 6 or 7 seconds.
You have to assume he just can't do this crossing the ball shit, or has no intention of these basic instructions being translated to 'an action'.
HE's a waste of a decent salary and really with the very best of failed expectation, be allowed to move on.

Fairly confident our new 'approach' is to have lower maintenance players that actually want to be here. That's why I can see Hwang still being here next season. Cheap, doesn't moan, has his uses (if we ignore his appalling technical ability) in that he can run and also has this knack of showing up in the right place at the right time. There's also a chance that Lop can improve him. I'm happy for him to be part of the squad, but would prefer he's not viewed as a definite starter.

I can see the likes of Sarabia and Kilman still being part of the first team squad next season. We have to accept that we're not going to sell all of the players mentioned in this thread; plus someone needs to approach us and buy them (!), but I do agree that, bar Neves, I won't lose any sleep over any of them going. Moutinho being the other exception but it's a natural point in time for him to move on and I think we all accept that. We want Adama off the wage bill. Podence is probably on a hefty chunk so wouldn't surprise me if he goes. Raul, Moutinho, Jonny etc - all likely to be on big wages. If they go and we bring in the much coveted £15-20m sweet spot signings (like Gomes, Lemina, Dawson etc), I'm all for that and it would be a much smarter way of working.

On the pitch next season we need to see the expensive members of the squad step up and take on real leader roles - like Cunha & Nunes. Even more so if we do end up selling Neves. They've had time to settle now and hopefully under Lop we/they can really kick on.

The last window gives me confidence we'll get our transfer mojo back. We'll still have failures, but hopefully at a more acceptable rate
I agree. The only one I did not understand in the January window was the Bristol City reserve keeper.

Cheap back up. He will hang around and be happy as back up while we upgrade Sa. It sort of makes sense, I suppose, but certainly not one to have got the juices flowing.

Also Lopetegui absolutely did not trust Sarkic. You cannot have a situation where we have two first team keepers and the manager doesn't want to pick one of them under any circumstances.

The only one I did not understand in the January window was the Bristol City reserve keeper.
Really?

Lops wanted an experienced back up keeper instead of Sarkic the injured. Nearly 400 League appearances and a character that we seriously needed for the dressing room.
Had 13 or so appearance this season, was their captain. It made perfect sense to me

Xhaka leaving Arsenal, might lead them to reignite interesrt in Neves?

Not really, they can't afford Rice and another CM on top.

They want Gündogan on a free but I doubt they'll get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back