• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing Sasa/Silva/Hwang will be seen as enough in terms of numbers for the main striker.

Just depends on how Jlop rates them all.
Sasa not proven at PL level and injury prone. Silva not proven at PL level and might not have the desire to return. Hwang just not good enough.
Desperately need to bring in a proven goal scorer.

When you say proven goalscorer are you talking about someone who is hitting 15+ goals in the PL or someone in the Champonship who has been scoring or one from outside the UK who has been scoring?

A proven from the Prem we are probably spending every penny we have. How much would Toney cost for example.

Sasa not proven at PL level and injury prone. Silva not proven at PL level and might not have the desire to return. Hwang just not good enough.
Desperately need to bring in a proven goal scorer.

We need a striker who fits the system who could then become a proven goal scorer, a proven PL goal scorer would cost our entire budget probably - whereas someone who fits the system and sets us back £20-30m will help the rest of the team score goals too.

Our biggest problem is the lack of presence upfront.

If there was any chance that Newcastle would move on from Callum Wilson (theres not I know), I'd take him in a heartbeat. When he gets an injury free run he scores with regularity.

But Newcastle won't sell him yet, and if they did there are clubs who'd stand more chance than us of getting him.

I mentioned it elsewhere, maybe in this thread, but I’d happily take Solanke. I don’t think Bournemouth would sell him but he works hard, scores, plays the lone man role well.

Realistically we need a striker who can hit 10 goals and Solanke can do that. On the theory that Cunha and the other wide players could chip in too…

I guess realistically we're looking for a goalscorer who can hit double figures but finding one of them who will come to Wolves won't be easy, I'm hoping the kudos and reputation of JL will help in that.

I mentioned it elsewhere, maybe in this thread, but I’d happily take Solanke. I don’t think Bournemouth would sell him but he works hard, scores, plays the lone man role well.

Realistically we need a striker who can hit 10 goals and Solanke can do that. On the theory that Cunha and the other wide players could chip in too…

Solanke has about 10 goals in his entire PL career!

If Everton went I'd be tempted by DCL. That injury record tho.....

We've spent too long without a credible centre forward if Solanke has become acceptable. DCL would have been a very good signing 2 years ago, now he's just a lump that plays 1 game in 5, injuries have done him.

Solanke is a lot better than he gets credit for if you actually watch Bournemouth he’s fairly decent now. But yeah, doesn’t score enough goals which is the exact reason we need a striker!

It got a slight flick off the defender, in his defence.

Assuming an actual striker is one of those six.

Happy to have Neto, Chiquinho, Sarabia and a newbie as wide options (Cunha could be an auxiliary choice too). Guedes, Podence, Hwang and Adama can all fuck off.
Is that not in itself a big risk? Neto has hardly played this year due to injury, looked best of a bad bunch against Brighton, not much else to comment on

Sarabia has been abit meh

No one knows what Chiquinho level really is yet he’s only played a few games, under Lage as well…

I wouldn’t be overly happy going into the season with the 3 mentioned and another as our 4 wide options

Gyökeres looks too slow to me.
Painfully and nowhere near strong enough for the top level either.

He can finish though.

The squad lacks pace in general, bar the full backs there really isn't any.

The forward should be En Nesyri not Gyokeres.

Last edited:
I would settle for finding the '23 version of Jimenez, a striker that fits into Lop's system as he did Nuno's. 1 in 4 goals in Portugal was hardly screaming "proven EPL goalscorer" either.

It's the hope we have the Sasa too. If he looks through pre-season to be the clear #1 then they just need to find a backup that's not Hwang, ancient, or a kid who'd rather play with Belgian farmer's than in England.

Wing position is more interesting I think because the way we set up against Chelsea and Brentford which looked like our best, they were more central in a diamond and moved out wide, so we could be looking at another Sarabia type, than direct replacement for Traore etc.

If Everton went I'd be tempted by DCL. That injury record tho.....
Mentioned this briefly in the live match discussion thread last night. But if Everton were to go, I'd certainly be enquiring about DCL, but if they ask for silly money, I'd walk away due to the recent injury record.

There are some harsh comments on him on the last couple of pages. Some of his touches, link up play and general hold up play in and around the area is still excellent. Personally, I think he needs a move and a fresh start to find that goalscoring touch again. Similar to us during our non-scoring period, you could have peak Fat Ronaldo up top for Everton at the moment and he'd look shite.

He'd certainly be a more realistic signing than Solanke (who has been excellent for Bournemouth) & Wilson.

I hope we sign someone better than all three (Solanke, Wilson & DCL) but I have no idea how our budget will be spread.

May as well just sign Tony Daley again. 14 games this season, 17 last. Had about 6 different injuries all linked to a weakness in one area and over compensating in others, can't remember where, might be his back

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back