• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Golf Thread

Ordered myself some new irons this morning. Mizuno JPX 825. Hopefully get used to them over the winter ready to kill it in the summer.

Just a pair of these now then,

WACKPANTS-SMART-FUNKY-COOL-WILD-CLASSY-LOUD-CRAZY-font-b-BRIGHT-b-font-font-b-GOLF.jpg

Going to get myself a full new set of Ping G25s ready for the summer forum golf games.

Yeah, I saw that today in Construction Index.

Our Mr Morgan has fallen out with them.

Not sure of the full story, but he's told all the contractors on his sites to remove all the JCBs.

I'll find out more when I can.

Just booked my stag part one.... round at the 2010 course at Celtic Manor (Ryder Cup course ) bed and breakfast at the manor house, then a round on the Montgomery. Can't wait!

I'm not thinking about golf til eater. Fair weather player.
My dad's just come out of hospital too, so he won't be able to play for a month at least anyway...

First round since October today. 36 points and score of 98, with three blobs and 40 putts. Pleasing round, considering the wind and lack of playing time to date. Got a lesson in the week in preparation for Celtic Manor. So excited!

My dads health is improving a lot now. He went to 3 hammers driving range & said it felt good.
Apparently patshull has 17 of 18 greens open!

I'm still not expecting to play until easter tbh. The ground is soaking, plus I can't get time off until then anyway.

My bro has a voucher for astbury hall, but apparently a fair bit of that is waterlogged. I'm hoping we can use that at easter.

I'm really wanting to get out there with my new clubs. That said, a few circs have arisen which might take time away from me in the short term...

Really need to learn this year - plenty of scope for golf/work with this new job!

Played yesterday, just beautiful for it. Horrible front nine, but a seven over par back, including one double! Playing the Derby today, really excited! Two weeks until Celtic Manor....

When we having the next TWF golf day? We need to wrestle Lemon's crown off him.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get a few more in numbers this year.

This is starting to get a bit personal :icon_lol:

It looks like the first time I'll play this year will be just after easter.

I have 4 days off in june (all fridays) & a fair bit of time off in july/august.

I would usually also suggest the bank holidays in May, however with me probably moving house in May, I don't want to let anyone down, so after May works best for me.

It will get even more personal when we tie your legs together.

A Friday in June sounds the best then.

I’m away in Blackpool late May bank holiday, maybe something mid-late June?

Celtic Manor was an absolutely sensational experience. Best £200 I’ve ever spent.

We pull up outside the Twenty Ten clubhouse, and my car is unloaded. My bags are taken to my hotel room, and my clubs and trolley are taken to the course, while we’re given a tour. We’re shown into the locker room, where our names are on our locker, above a plaque marking whichever 2010 Ryder Cup star had that locker. I had Kaymar, others in my party had McIlroy, Donald, Poulter, GMac and Jiminez, with an unfortunate few having non-pro-used lockers. We’re shown around the locker room, and see similar plaques on the other side, photos with Woods’, Mickleson’s and a few others’ old lockers. Just walking round, in awe. Sitting where Rory would have been drinking a beer after winning the Ryder Cup, and you could see Woods’ locker at the other side of the room. Amazing.

Then to the round; we’re driven to the first tee, where there’s a complimentary driving range, chipping and putting area, our clubs waiting for us. 30 minutes of practice before the starter calls us over to the first tee, gives us score cards and a pack of Celtic Manor tees. Then, we have a group photo next to the Ryder Cup sign, and a photographer also takes an action shot of your first tee shot. The Twenty Ten course is spectacular. The scenery is just stunning, and considering the weather, the course condition was sensational. Very windy, and a really tough course; I went round in 110, with 26 points. Greens were huge, undulating and quick, with some really tough pin positions. It’s a really long course, too – my mate’s watch said he walked about 8 miles.

At the end of a thoroughly enjoyable round, staff are waiting to help us with our clubs and have a chat. They present us all with disk, about the same size as a cricket ball, with the Twenty Ten logo on one side, your name and the date on the other. Lovely touch, completely unexpected. Then they take your clubs – the next time we see them is on the first tee on the Montgomerie course, cleaner than they were when they were new. Into the club house, and our photographs are waiting, in a classy presentation folder – the group photo, the action shot, and a photo of the winning European team from the 2010 Ryder Cup, all for only £15.

The next morning after a cracking breakfast we go to the Montgomerie course, and browse through the pro shop. One of the staff comes to have a little chat, asked how we found the Twenty Ten etc. We ask what the course is like, as we found yesterday pretty tough physically, given its length and the climb up the valley. He says “I play it every week, it’s the best course on the resort. It’s really tough, and if you thought Twenty Ten was hilly and tiring, this is off the scale. I always take a buggy – in fact I’ve only walked it once; my first ever round!” Lovely guy, and not just a salesman. We got buggies, at £35 between two of us, and had our bags loaded onto them before driving to the first tee.

He was right. Monty was higher than Twenty Ten – overlooking it, in fact – and whilst I thought the views were amazing on day one, day two’s were on another planet. And the pro was right, without a buggy, I just wouldn’t have made it. You wind your way up and around the valley, with the journeys from green to tee being particularly ridiculous. Absolutely beautiful day, calm winds, breath-taking – the third hole in particular; we stood on the fairway after our drives and just *looked* for almost five minutes. Just beautiful. Tough course again, but thoroughly enjoyable to play – thanks to the essential buggy – and I went round in 106 and 24 points.

Considering the toughness of the courses, and the fact they were my 3rd and 4th rounds since November, I’m really pleased with how I played – but in truth it didn’t matter. As a golfer, it’s a genuine ‘must do’ experience, and I couldn’t recommend it highly enough. You’re made to feel so special, and everything about the place is dripping with class – it’s an excellent customer experience.

In fact, we’re booking next year’s trip there soon – it’s made such an impression it’s going to be our annual trip from now. They have some lodges along the 17th fairway of the Twenty Ten; 4 twin rooms (all with Sky and en suite), kitchen, two lounges, dining room, sauna, and outside gardens, patio and hot tub. They do a deal whereby eight of you stay for two nights, with a round of golf on each of the three courses, for about £280. Ridiculous money for what will be an amazing long weekend, and the eight of us are already excited about May 2015!

Back