• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Golf Thread

The 1st (A thursday?) Where do you fancy LJ?

Perton is very open and bland Del, you'd do well to lose a ball there. Sounds like it's going well.

Perton is just 2 fields a farmer has knocked together.

Johnny, I'm, about on the 1st if you're still available (apologies for the late reply). I recall Penk was away/ Del, you free? Anyone else?
I'll be in either Wolves or Birmingham, but would be happy to travel. My course knowledge is quite limited - I tend to play Hill Top, or Patshull (as my dad is a member there).

Also, I mentioned 15th/16th (as Penk did above), I can still do both, but would prefer the 15th if possible?

I'm in Majorca on the 1st, but okay for the 15th or 16th if you choose them.

I can't do work days at the moment, the Mrs would batter me if I booked a day off and didn't spend it with her and Matilda!

Played patshull today. Putting was poor again - 3 putted about 7 or 8 times. Card badly marked by an 8 and a few 7's. Just over 100.

I mentioned earlier that I preferred the 15th to the 16th. That barrier has now gone, so either are good.

I'm also finding myself more and more wondering whether to change my clubs or not.

Booked in to play Telford again tomorrow. Now I'll get to see what the last 4 holes are like!

Any movement on playing 15th/16th? Any preferences for either the day or location folks/Johnny/Penk? (I'm assuming del still isn't allowed out to play/hasn't recovered from PTG drafting...)

Played the full telford course. Nice course in the sunshine!
Those last 4 holes are pretty testing though! Went round in 105, which is a little disappointing as I aim to break 100. Good day though.

Not long got back from playing Hill Top today.
Went round in 99. Bit disappointed tbh. Had an 8 & 2 7's.
On the back 9, had 5 putts that stopped 4" or less short of the hole.
We were behind a 4 ball that waved us through on the 5th, then one of them started walking all around the green, so we couldn't play (safely), & then held us up for the entire rest of the round. Got a bit annoyed with em holding us up, after waving us through initially, & got all tense as a result & feel like that added about 6-7 shots to my round.

I've been offered a new set of irons for christmas by my folks.
Some on here have seen me attempt to play. They've also seen my complete ignorance (didn't even know I'd been using blades for 20 years!).
What kinda set of irons should I be considering? Any tips/suggestions? I tend to play 8-10 times per year, so I'm not after anything all singing & dancing, just a decent reliable set.
Budget is circa £200 (bit less if possible - closer to £180 I suspect).

(Cue Johnny suggesting I buy 11 putters...:icon_biggrin:

You'll get last seasons game improver irons for that price I reckon.

I'd suggest going to the Three Hammers, get fitted out for a set of Ping G25 and then go on e-bay and buy a second hand set of G15s.

The standard and amount of times you and I play, it's better to buy a good second hand set than an average new set.

cheers fellas.
Penk, I agree. Can't see the point in throwing a fortune at them. Indeed, I'll only have them as a gift, as I keep declining to buy them myself!

Same sort of clubs I have. Mine are Adams though.

The way you play LJ I would look at some 2nd hand Mizuno hybrids (MP range) or Taylor Made hybrids. Far better for the way you strike down in the ball. The ones you have chosen look to have a heavy blade at the bottom that will bounce off the floor rather than cut the ground as you want to do.

Although I have seen you putt so maybe driver, 7-iron, wedge (for your bunker shots of course) and 11 putters will see you fine :)

The way you play LJ I would look at some 2nd hand Mizuno hybrids (MP range) or Taylor Made hybrids. Far better for the way you strike down in the ball. The ones you have chosen look to have a heavy blade at the bottom that will bounce off the floor rather than cut the ground as you want to do.

Although I have seen you putt so maybe driver, 7-iron, wedge (for your bunker shots of course) and 11 putters will see you fine :)

Or maybe two guns and a sombrero.

Oh definitely, are horses allowed on the course these days?

Ah, the support of your friends.... :icon_biggrin:

In other news, before the impending storm I played patshull today in a tournament with my dad.
Went round in 102. Not bad considering was off the white tees.
Only 2 temp greens.
Driving was awful. So much so that I stopped using it & used irons off the tee mainly. Hit some super iron shots though - 5 iron especially.
That said, winter rules/preferred lie probably helped. & free relief from all bunkers.

Last edited:

Or maybe two guns and a sombrero.

Oh definitely, are horses allowed on the course these days?

Ah, the support of your friends.... :icon_biggrin:

In other news, before the impending storm I played patshull today in a tournament with my dad.
Went round in 102. Not bad considering was off the white tees.
Only 2 temp greens.
Driving was awful. So much so that I stopped using it & used irons off the tee mainly. Hit some super iron shots though - 5 iron especially.
That said, winter rules/preferred lie probably helped. & free relief from all bunkers.

Ordered myself some new irons this morning. Mizuno JPX 825. Hopefully get used to them over the winter ready to kill it in the summer.

Back