• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Golf Thread

That sounds awesome Del.

If I'm good enough by June I'll come to the golf day too.

I've said before, it isn't about how good, it is about having fun/fresh air/exercise.

I'm not any good. I got lucky when playing with fellow TWF-ers.

Oh I'm aware of that LJ. I just still haven't been round a full 18 hole course yet so I just want to get a few more rounds under my belt rather than anything else!

Tiger Woods ruled out of the Masters.

Can't say I am too devastated that the Tiger circus is missing. I find the US network obsession with showing his every shot even if he is twenty shots off the lead utterly nauseating.

At least the solitary fucker who stands behind his every tee shot screaming "GET IN THE HOLE!" won't be there either...

At least the solitary $#@!er who stands behind his every tee shot screaming "GET IN THE HOLE!" won't be there either...

Was he in the car park when Tiger was seeing his mistress?

Tiger Woods ruled out of the Masters.

Useless fact of the day, Tiger has missed 3 majors since he turned professional, subsequent winners of those tournaments

Padraig Harrington
Darren Clarke
Rory McIlroy

Based on that stick your money on McDowell this week...

Won't be the same without the Americans focusing intently on Tiger despite him again being well off the pace.

Always love Masters weekend though. So much history and tradition.

Booked the Astbury for the 23rd!
Looking forward to it. Supposed to be very highly rated.

It'll be my first round with the new clubs too.

So, Astbury.

Interesting place. Each hole named after a judas preist song. Some work. Some really don't.

Clearly had a lot spent on it, & fuck me there are a lot of staff.

Very new course. In 10+ years the tress will have grown & will create a few obstacles.
The "locker room" is like nowhere I've ever been, & is kitted out really posh! The "lockers" are wooden, & very nice. Leather sofa's etc too.
Greens are pretty tough, & imo are a bit too small. In places it is almost like they're trying to hard to make tough greens. They are magnificent though.

Also my first round with the new clubs. On a new course, with few reference points, & not knowing my game with them, was pleased with a 104. Bad start - 9 & 8, plus getting a 10 on the back 9 ruined it for me.

Need to play on Patshull and/or Hill Top, where I know the course to get a better feel for the distances I hit with each club.

Just back from playing patshull.
Went round in 107. Ground was very soft.
Terrible front 9. I'm finding it harder than I thought to adjust to new clubs. First 9 was a mare of 59. Every shot as I stand next to the ball, I have absolutely no idea which club to use. With my old set, I knew instinctively.
Struggling to use a hybrid too. Hit 3 amazing shots. Hit a lot of shockers too though.

Sounds like you need the driving range LJ. A tip I was given when being taught (I'd say learning but that would be stretching the truth):

Pick the 150 Mark at the driving range then your 7 iron. Hit 10 balls and see how many hit the mark or around the mark. Now do it with 10 from your 8 iron and see how many you get close. Then the same with your 9. This will tell you if your 7.8 or 9 is worth 150 yards and using a bit of maths you can work out how far each club is worth in distance.

You can do the same with the 200 marker with your long irons too.

Sounds like you need the driving range LJ. A tip I was given when being taught (I'd say learning but that would be stretching the truth):

Pick the 150 Mark at the driving range then your 7 iron. Hit 10 balls and see how many hit the mark or around the mark. Now do it with 10 from your 8 iron and see how many you get close. Then the same with your 9. This will tell you if your 7.8 or 9 is worth 150 yards and using a bit of maths you can work out how far each club is worth in distance.

You can do the same with the 200 marker with your long irons too.
Might have to try that mate.
I picked up on the back 9, & tbf it was only the 2nd time since August/September I've played, so there is bound to be some rustiness.
It's going to take me a while to adjust I suspect.

Back