• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Golf Thread

Finally picked the clubs up yesterday for the 1st time in 6 months, went round Chesteron Valley in 95 so was pretty happy with that. Drove the ball pretty well but my short game was as terrible as ever.

I don't like chesterton. A mate of mine loves it. The course irritates me. I get really annoyed with having to cross the road to play 3 holes then cross back to the main course.

I don't like chesterton. A mate of mine loves it. The course irritates me. I get really annoyed with having to cross the road to play 3 holes then cross back to the main course.

The problem is with it, if you're a member, you'd get a artificial low handicap and then struggle to get anywhere near your handicap when you played other courses. I quite like the course, but wouldn't want to be a member.

I find there are too many holes at Chesterton you can drive so it's not really a test, the front 9 is a bit of a joke really. I like the back 9, apart from the 17th as that's mostly the original course. Have we had any thoughts on where to play?

I'm easy.
What we need is someone to say "lets play here", and then we'll just go for it.

I mentioned I enjoyed the shropshire yesterday (where Penk & I played last year). You also have the fact that you don't know which course you'll play til you get there!

Out of the list on tee times I'd either go for Aston Wood or Shifnal.

Dusting off my bats today and going to try and get the swing back in action at the range. Might even treat myself to a pitch and putt on Sunday

I'm easy.
What we need is someone to say "lets play here", and then we'll just go for it.

I mentioned I enjoyed the shropshire yesterday (where Penk & I played last year). You also have the fact that you don't know which course you'll play til you get there!

It's a lovely course and I would suggest the Silver/ Gold combination for a round. It's not too hard and is a decent price (if we have a spare slot I can ask my brother, bandit that he is, as he's a member still and would get a very discounted rate. The bar is also a decent place to relax afterwards. Having said that it would be nice to play a course I don't know, so:

Out of the list on tee times I'd either go for Aston Wood or Shifnal.

I would prefer to play Aston Wood of the two.

I like Chesterton, its pretty well maintained, the length of the holes are certainly favourable to someone like me who doesn’t drive the ball very far (I’m pretty accurate though). I also have no long iron game to speak of and my short game is pretty terrible to be honest so its not as punishing as a lot of courses would be to a player of my low standard.

It was also completely deserted so we had pretty much the whole course to ourselves.

Aston Wood it is then...
Preferred time folks? Not too early please!

I can drag my sorry arse out of bed by then.
Midday is good for me too!

I used to be a member at Beau Desert until I discovered beer and pubs. That was a tough course, if you miss the fairway you're at best in heather and worst the middle of Cannock Chase. The qualifiers for the British Open used to be held there, not sure whether that is still the case mind. I really want to get back into Golf though, I miss it.

Played at a fair few courses in my youth in the junior league, Brocton Hall and Enville were my faves.

oh yeah.....forgot all about this till now, but when i was about 9 me and my mate were paired up with Steve Bull and his mate at Cannock Park, this was when he was at his peak so we never had the nerve to ask if we could play with him even though by rights they would have been stuck with us. Damn! We watched him hack his drive onto the car park instead.:eek:

Hai!

Made a bit of a milestone today. This year been averaging 98-105; playing reasonably but having a couple of horror holes.

After school went to a lovely little course in Boldmere - 4500, par 62, and went round in 82! 20 over par is massively better than anything else I've managed so far in my brief career as a hacker, and I'm absolutely delighted. Scored that despite having 8 x 3-putts, and 4 of the par 3s are over 200 yards, too.

Ball striking was a lot more consistent, and my touch around the green was much better, even if I was still a little iffy on it.

Also played the chip of my life; I swear to God if a tour player had made it, it would have been on a montage! Over hit a mid iron to the green by about 20 yards, it caught a bank at the top of the green, hit a path, and then finished on a down hill lie of a secondary bank. So I'm 25 yards from the pin, green runs away from me, and I'm half way up the second bank with a hugely downhill lie. Delicate little putting stroke with a little bit of hinge, over the bath and bounced *just* on the spot I was aiming for on the top of the first bank, and rolled down, onto the green, rolled, and finished 2 inches away for my par. It was beautiful and creative. My playing partner who plays off 12 thought the absolute best would be rolling no more than 6 foot past the pin.

Main aim today was (after reading some of Dr Bob's stuff on holiday) was have far fewer mechanical thoughts on my way round, and 'back myself' a little more. Felt a lot more enjoyable, and didn't let the odd bad shot bother me. Vocalised a lot of my positive thinking, and my playing partner benefited, as I was telling him what I'd read that he should be telling himself if that makes sense. I think he got the hint towards the end and starting giving a bit back, which helped!

Put a shit load of hard work in the last few months, after last year averaging 110-115, peaking on 102 - and it's really paying off. Going to keep that up, range once a week and course once a week, and just try and keep up the positive thinking all the way round the course.

Love golf!

Back