• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2024/25

You are both right. But it's not aimed at us, it's aimed at the foreign young adult markets that lap this stuff up

The TV producers get the clicks they need and the ad revenue it brings.

All about the money

Think they did a practice run the other week. I was watching a game where they interviewed someone who had just gone off which I found odd (unless I dreamt it)

FA Cup games have had interviews at HT. Certainly in the vrry early rounds when live on BBC

MLS has most of this apart from the interviews with players subbed off. At the end of the game, the players have 15 mins to themselves before the locker room is opened to media. In my days covering certain teams, I always declined to go in the locker room, a fact appreciated by a lot of players I spoke to after. They have no inner sanctum when feelings are running high and I don't see what goo dit does.

Half time interviews are standard fare and utterly boring.

I'm not surprised this is coming in given half the Prem now has US ownership in one form or another.

Can't remember which thread their ridiculous prices were on but Villa's CL game against Bologna next Tuesday has gone to general sale

Instead of taking the piss out of fans that don't sell out, we should all be standing together more as fans and saying fuck this.

Will never happen to a significant degree though as football is so tribal.
I don't know about tribal, people just can't (or more accurately, won't) see that clubs are ripping the piss and end up using increasingly desperate justifications for carrying on paying it.

We definitely didn't sell 22,000+ season tickets this year, but we sold enough to mean that in the short-term, the club's disastrous policy isn't the disaster it should be. In the longer term it is of course a disaster.

Just about everything around top level football is way overpriced.
Problem Villa have with Bologna is they’re not a stellar European name so won’t generate that much interest at those prices. As huge as Villa think they’re they don’t have a bottomless pit of ready paying fans.
Not sure on pricing but have noticed crowds in league 1 & 2 are very healthy currently.
Not sure if some of those have decided to watch football lower down at a lesser price.

FA Cup 1st Round live TV selections...

Friday, 1 November

Tamworth v Huddersfield Town (19:45 GMT) - BBC Two and iPlayer

Saturday, 2 November

Northampton Town v Kettering Town (17:30 GMT) - BBC Two and iPlayer

Sunday, 3 November

Sutton United v Birmingham City (12:30 GMT) - ITV1

Harrogate Town v Wrexham (15:30 GMT) - ITVX

Monday, 4 November

Chesham United v Lincoln City (19:15 GMT) - ITV4

A chance to see Joe Hodge look out of his depth against fifth tier opposition :D I'm in.

Blues and Wrexham are annoying picks. Note I haven't missed an 'r' out there on purpose.

Just about everything around top level football is way overpriced.
Problem Villa have with Bologna is they’re not a stellar European name so won’t generate that much interest at those prices. As huge as Villa think they’re they don’t have a bottomless pit of ready paying fans.
Not sure on pricing but have noticed crowds in league 1 & 2 are very healthy currently.
Not sure if some of those have decided to watch football lower down at a lesser price.

I'd have thought that they'd sell them on the basis that the others are big ties and will sell out via season ticket holders/members. Might be the first and only chance for some to witness Champions League football at their club in their lifetime/this season.

With football attendance if the cost of it actively cuts into food bills, hobbies for children or day to day living cost then I’d say continuing to go is to a degree irresponsible and selfish.
It’s why some clubs us included are without morals they know full well people are in that situation and will ie run up debt on credit cards or sacrifice more important things to attend on the FOMO basis. The clubs will also promote mental health awareness etc

I know we would do this but if a miracle happened and we got the the CL I would, on principle refuse to pay nearly £100 to watch the game whether Barcelona, Celtic, Bayern or a team from a small nation we have never heard of.

Back in the glory days we were actually decent in our EL Group pricing.

I'd have thought that they'd sell them on the basis that the others are big ties and will sell out via season ticket holders/members. Might be the first and only chance for some to witness Champions League football at their club in their lifetime/this season.
The appeal isn’t enough to outweigh the cost though for many people so they might get close to a sell out but wouldn’t be surprised if many just say no thanks.

Back