• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2024/25

I don't know about tribal, people just can't (or more accurately, won't) see that clubs are ripping the piss and end up using increasingly desperate justifications for carrying on paying it.

We definitely didn't sell 22,000+ season tickets this year, but we sold enough to mean that in the short-term, the club's disastrous policy isn't the disaster it should be. In the longer term it is of course a disaster.
I think a lot of it is tribal.

Loads of big club fans take the piss out of City not selling out for the CL games, we have taken the piss out of Albion many times in the past.

I think a lot of it is tribal.

Loads of big club fans take the piss out of City not selling out for the CL games, we have taken the piss out of Albion many times in the past.
I don't care what opposition fans will say when we get around 27,000 against Palace in a couple of weeks.

I care that the idiot in charge of our club has engineered this ridiculous situation.

I don't care what opposition fans will say when we get around 27,000 against Palace in a couple of weeks.

I care that the idiot in charge of our club has engineered this ridiculous situation.
Yeah, but my point was for their to be organised rise up against these sorts of ticket prices, it needs to be coordinated with other clubs.

But that won't happen, because most fans see lower crowds as poor support, rather than understand the nuance of the cost.

It needs to be done at an individual club level. Owners don't give a stuff what's happening at other clubs. You aren't going to get teams who sell out their grounds week win, week out to reduce their prices because of a pressure group.

Wolves fans had their opportunity this Summer and as a collective chose not to take it. Those prices aren't reducing until relegation

Last edited:
There problem isn’t crowds this season a handful of games around the 26-27k mark won’t bother them.
However the big problem is coming in the summer when (if) we get relegated.
Firstly you cannot charge those prices for second tier football even a price freeze won’t cut it.
Secondly lowering prices to entice people to keep their season tickets makes you look a bit stupid.
Thirdly you’re not recouping the fans you’ve lost over the past 4 years as a second tier side at a reduced cost.
Those fans might return for an odd game or on a freebie but getting back as regular paying fan is extremely hard.

From a purely business sense they should keep the price the same if relegated. Most will renew regardless, some won’t whether the price is £100 cheaper or not. So no financial sense to reduce them, but maybe morally. But the didn’t take that into consideration last time…

From a purely business sense they should keep the price the same if relegated. Most will renew regardless, some won’t whether the price is £100 cheaper or not. So no financial sense to reduce them, but maybe morally. But the didn’t take that into consideration last time…
I think you're wrong.

The most expensive average season ticket is at Norwich at £715. We're nearly £100 more expensive on average.

Nobody is paying that kind of money for Championship football and especially not at a provincial football club like Wolves.

The current prices have had a dramatic effect this season. Keeping them in the championship you'd have sub 10K crowds.

Remove PL football and you’re left with genuine hardcore base of fans.
You’re reliant on them being able to afford it or not to have been pushed out in recent years.
Current pricing and buying systems mean walk ups and deciding on the day to go are very much a thing of the past.
The beauty of supporting a club that’s none PL is to have the ability to go on a short notice not to have to plan in advance which a lot would have to due to price if anything.

I think you're wrong.

The most expensive average season ticket is at Norwich at £715. We're nearly £100 more expensive on average.

Nobody is paying that kind of money for Championship football and especially not at a provincial football club like Wolves.

The current prices have had a dramatic effect this season. Keeping them in the championship you'd have sub 10K crowds.
Maybe. I just look at how everyone rolled over this year. The core 16-18k will probably renew. Will the other 4k or wherever be incentivised by a discount which outweighs the loss on the 16-18k? Not sure tbh

Maybe. I just look at how everyone rolled over this year. The core 16-18k will probably renew. Will the other 4k or wherever be incentivised by a discount which outweighs the loss on the 16-18k? Not sure tbh
Don't know if I'm part of the core or not but I wouldn't renew and I'm in the Steve Bull.

And we would be the most expensive by a long way. I just don't see anybody doing it, especially if the squad is completely gutted.

If we go down they’d have to knock a couple of hundred pounds off STs if they don’t want to lose half of them. It’s one thing charging silly money in the PL to watch some of the best teams in the world, another thing altogether to watch Millwall and Plymouth.

Easier to roll over when you'll still be watching some of the best teams in Europe, we won't be losing the likes of Cunha/Joao Gomes/Ait-Nouri, and we did manage to get some great wins the year before so who knows.

With a hollowed out squad, a clueless chairman, God knows who managing the team and facing Preston and Millwall? For the same money? I don't think so.

Not looking for a row, but you said the same last year too, as did many others
I said I wouldn't this season and only renewed on the last day I could. There would be no question next season with championship football and these shit bags in charge.

I won’t be renewing next season as I’m not planning to be in the country next year and I think it will be easy enough to get a ticket when I come back given our current trajectory.

If it was the Nuno days then I’d likely hold onto it and take the loss and recoup what I could in resales/friends etc using the ticket.

If you're not bothered about sitting on your own (I'm not) and you can get to the ground at short notice (I can) then essentially there have been no games so far this season where if you'd decided on the morning of the game "actually, I fancy going" , you'd not have been able to get a ticket.

Doubt there'll be many that fit that bracket either. If any.

I have not taken that option as Jeff Shi is a cunt and it's not much of a stand I'm taking if I merrily rock up and pay him the thick end of £60 a time to watch our managed decline, the decline that he caused and continues to oversee.

I'll be back, I'll almost certainly have another ST one day. It won't be next season in the Championship at £700+ though. I'll leave that to galaxy brains like Martin Danks.

Back