• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2019/20 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently about 40% of EFL clubs want the season to be null and void. By all accounts it’ll mean they’ll be able to start selling season tickets for next season.
Problem is a good proportion of their fan base will probably have financial worries to and buying season tickets will be bottom of their priorities.

I assume that 40% are in the relegation zone and bottom half with nothing to play for...

Amazingly ‘some’ premier league clubs feel the same according to Ornstein in the Athletic. Equally amazingly these clubs include West Ham and Brighton.

Johnson promised action against profiteers..

Said it before if the likes of Norwich are given a reprieve and go on to prosper from this it’ll be forever tainted as a false position. Complete integrity is thrown out the window.
Worth noting how clubs below national league level have the finance to fight a legal battle against the FA? Not many at all.
South Shields were 12 points clear in their league, Jersey had already guaranteed promotion from there’s.

Said it before if the likes of Norwich are given a reprieve and go on to prosper from this it’ll be forever tainted as a false position. Complete integrity is thrown out the window.
Worth noting how clubs below national league level have the finance to fight a legal battle against the FA? Not many at all.
South Shields were 12 points clear in their league, Jersey had already guaranteed promotion from there’s.

On the plus side Jamie O'Hara was on Twitter celebrating the fact he won't be relegating Billericay Town this season. Always classy that guy

I assume that 40% are in the relegation zone and bottom half with nothing to play for...
If you take the Championship as an example you have 13 clubs who will feel they have a realistic chance of the plays offs or higher, 3 in no mans land and 8 in a relegation battle. Percentage wise 54/13/33. So yes completely self serving. When Leeds, Albion and Fulham say it should be cancelled and wiped from the books I'll start to listen.

O'Hara comes on Alan Brazil some mornings (he's an awful listen) and was trumpeting yesterday for the season to be null and void. Brazil disagreed

On the plus side Jamie O'Hara was on Twitter celebrating the fact he won't be relegating Billericay Town this season. Always classy that guy

He’s an arsehole he was on Talksport earlier this week bemoaning the fact he left Spurs to come to us and what a big mistake it was, yes Jamie is was big mistake for us.

If you take the Championship as an example you have 13 clubs who will feel they have a realistic chance of the plays offs or higher, 3 in no means land and 8 in a relegation battle. Percentage wise 54/13/33. So yes completely self serving. When Leeds, Albion and Fulham say it should be cancelled and wiped from the books I'll start to listen.

Agreed complete self serving but can be passed off as “more things are more important than football” absolutely right there are.
Notice West Ham and BHA have been most vocal about this, two points of note here if it’s null and void they win because threat of relegation is over, also if the PL call the league as it is now or come up with a points average they’ll be fine to.
Mentioned Norwich earlier but in fairness they’ve kept quiet on this and stand to gain the most from this.

If it’s null and void will we finish seventh and go into the EL league? How can they make the call about whether European positions drop down the leagues without knowing who won the FA Cup? (I think they’ll finish the season anyway).

If it’s null and void will we finish seventh and go into the EL league? How can they make the call about whether European positions drop down the leagues without knowing who won the FA Cup? (I think they’ll finish the season anyway).
The PL have said the current season will finish whenever that may be and that's none negotiable.

Yep too much money involved as well as legal issues. The clubs and PL would have to pay back Astronomical amounts if it got voided, then legal issues from Leeds etc.

I don’t really get the issue with the timing. If it finishes in August who cares. Get this season done and then worry about later seasons after that. As for contracts, just make it a rule from FIFA that any contract is automatically extended on the same terms until the season is finished. Non negotiable. If they for whatever reason refuse, they can’t sign a contract until ‘x’ date so will effectively be unemployed and unemployable.

Oh I absolutely agree, even if it takes until November and we have a 19 game season next year they have to get this season finished. I was just a little concerned with the precedent of wiping off the lower tiers seasons.

If it’s voided then it just leaves anger, bitterness and classless gloating by fans of clubs that’s benefiting.
Just finish it when it can and it stops all the above.

The PL will meet again on 3/4/20 needs 14 clubs to vote in favour of the season being null and void, only clubs I can see opposed to it will be Liverpool, Leicester, Chelsea, Ourselves and Sheff Utd and maybe Man Utd.
The rest will be more than happy to see this season erased especially the bottom 6 Arsenal, Spurs and Man City.

The PL need to show some leadership here. It isn't a voting situation.

Why knock it on the head? Call it as it is. I've been in leagues that have been unable to get all fixtures done because of weather issues. Calculate points gained by each team as a percentage of points available from the games they managed to play (games played X 3).
It's not perfect, as it doesn't take into account the relative difficulties of each teams remaining fixtures, but it's sure fairer than voiding the season more than half way through.
I'm really surprised the PL/FL don't have rules for such an eventuality, extreme as it is...

That just won’t happen legal battles will come from all over then Man Utd, Villa, Bournemouth and Norwich will all take the PL to court.
Biggest problem will be if the resumption is around August, a lot of clubs especially in the PL will just want the season re set and everyone starting from scratch again.
Desperately sad to think that our double over City or the win at spurs could go down as never actually counting.

There is not a cat in hell's chance liverpool won't win the league this season. As soon as you make that decision any other presumption will be challenged. This season will finish, there is no point at all discussing scenarios that suggest it doesn't. It may be September before PL football is played again, but it will be the 2019/20 season

There is not a cat in hell's chance liverpool won't win the league this season. As soon as you make that decision any other presumption will be challenged. This season will finish, there is no point at all discussing scenarios that suggest it doesn't. It may be September before PL football is played again, but it will be the 2019/20 season

This. There would be the mother of all legal challenges from Liverpool, West Brom, Leeds, Leicester, us and Chelsea. The only way for the PL/ EFL avoid legal challenges is if the season completes.

It really isn't a voting situation at all as there will always be 14 teams that will want the season reset. If the PL had the balls it would say to teams that they'd can void the season if they want if the clubs are happy to receive no prize or TV money for the new season and the transfer window for last season carries over to the new one. I.E. No squads can be changed.

Would be a much smaller percentage voting for that I would imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back